• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Howdy All,

I've recently come into posession of a Remington Autoloading Rifle (A Model 8 before they called it the Model 8) chambered in .30 Remington. The good news is it came with 30 rounds of ammo. The bad news is general ammo availability. I've found several vendors that sell reman'd ammo and brass, but they are all OOS. Currently my options are limited to trolling things like ArmsList or GunBroker for ammo/brass.

Now, it looks like I can convert .30-30 Winchester brass by turning down the rim and fire-forming it. I'm good with this, except the part about spending $500+ on a solid mini-lathe to get the job done. I don't plan on shooting this a whole lot, and would be happy having a total of 100-200 rounds to reload over and over.

So, I have 2 pleas here:
    1. If anyone has any .30 Remington ammo or brass they can source or are willing to part with, holler in my direction.
    2. If anyone has the ability to turn down .30-30 brass and is willing to do so, I am more than happy to pay for your time.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Where are you located? I have a box of factory loads I would be willing to part with. Because you cannot mail ammo, shipping would be stupid. I believe I have some brass as well.

I'm in Round Rock. Just north of Austin

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Thank you Dan, I saw that, but I also saw elsewhere that someone had ordered .30 Rem brass from them 6 months ago and were still waiting. I shot them an email asking if they had it in stock, but have yet to hear back.

I hesitate to order from places that don't have a stock indicator; I've been burned by that before.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thank you Dan, I saw that, but I also saw elsewhere that someone had ordered .30 Rem brass from them 6 months ago and were still waiting. I shot them an email asking if they had it in stock, but have yet to hear back.

I hesitate to order from places that don't have a stock indicator; I've been burned by that before.

I don't blame you there. I have a Model 8 in 35 Remington and really enjoy shooting it. I was fortunate in being able to buy brass for it years ago.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I forgot, thank you Acera for providing a link to that forum. I joined and already have found some good info, especially on converting .30-30 brass to .30 Rem. It is indeed possible, I just need to befriend someone with a lathe.

I received 31 cartridges with the rifle. Hopefully I can track down some more ammo/brass without paying $3+ per round for 50-year-old ammo.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Be aware that there is something called 30 Remington AR. (completely different)
    My neighbor has an old rifle chambered in .30 Remington and asked if I could find ammo. I looked for several months but all I could find was EXPENSIVE collectable ammo priced 'by the round'.

I would love to find some for him because all he has is about 16 rounds that are about 40 years old. I did find some reload dies so I could make some up for him. I just need brass!!!!!!

bob

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Bones, thank you. Unfortunately they are on back order as well.

Motorcarman, thank you for the warning there.

Converting .30-30 Winchester brass... You "only" have to take a lathe, mount the brass without messing it up, turn down the rim, cut a larger extractor groove and fire form the brass.

Only.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't blame you there. I have a Model 8 in 35 Remington and really enjoy shooting it. I was fortunate in being able to buy brass for it years ago.
    .35 Remington ammo has recently been available. Hornady (apparently) did a seasonal run and I picked up a couple of hundred rounds. I would have rather had empty brass but I'll take what I can get.

Does anybody remember the last time there was a seasonal/occasional/special run of .30 Remington? I don't.

These guys: Gad Custom Reloaded Cartridges and Shell Reloading Services claim to be able to supply just about anything, though it looks like even if they have the brass you'll wind up paying $1.50/round or more.

These guys: Ammunition|Obsolete Ammo|Shooting Supplies are up front about the fact that their ammo is out of stock but they're accepting backorders if someone wants to wait.

Top Bottom