• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    im looking for reload data for 30-06 for the m1garand. i use handloads.com alot for stuff but i want a place that people use for reloads in their garands. i have a bunch of wc844 for the 223 and i was wondering if i could use that
    DK Firearms

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You might post your question on the forum at www.odcmp.com. Lots of Garand guys there and they do have a reloading section. The powder you mention may not work in the Garand. You need to load medium burning powders like IMR 4895 or 4064. Some have worked up loads with Varget IIRC.
    According to this chart, the burn rate is similar to IMR 4895 but you need to check with someone who has the latest Hornady reloading book since it has Garand specific loads in it. Powder Chart

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    ive seen the NRA recomended loads for the m1 garand and i can use the h335... anyone use 108gr frangable bullets? i can get my hands on tons of those for cheap..

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    You need to be careful loading for the Garand. It's designed to operate within a fairly narrow band of pressures and overpressure loads will cause the op rod to bend or break, a very expensive propsition. Try to keep your load as near to the GI load as possible. If I recall correctly, that load called for 48.0 gr of IMR4895. As suggested, start lower and work up. Use a chrono to match GI velocity of 2740 +/- 30 fps and you should be OK.

You can also replace the gas plug with an adjustable plug which will allow you to regulate the gas going into the gas cylinder. This is supposed to prevent damaged op rods. Or so I hear.

Better yet order ammo from CMP for .50 per round already packed in 8 rd clips in bandoleers in sealed spam cans.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    ive been doing my reading and i went to bass pro and looked at the reloading pages for the m1. i can use h335 and it gives me a starting load as well and a max load. i can remember what it said for start and finish loads.. all i wanted to check on is if it can be done with the h335. Im still at a cross if i should buy the 190 rounds from cmp or just get the stuff to reload them. im all set up to reload now, just not 30-06 but thats no big deal. and once the boughten bullets are used, then im going to reload those cases anyway. im just looking at different ideas and cost ratios here. but i appreciate the help from where ever it comes from. i wish i knew someone who reloaded for the garand that i could just call and talk to.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    this may make me look like a tight wad, but can some-one maybe coppy or tell me what the hornady load book says for the m1 garand part? i dont feel like spending 35 bucks to use 4 lines. any help would be great

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Can't help you with the Hornady book and my M1 is chambered for .308 Winchester so my loads won't work for your .30-06 rifle. However, this is a good link to some loads recommended by the NRA for the M1. M1 load data (courtesy of NRA)

Also, check out this past thread, since this topic has come up before. http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/reloading/8831-load-data-ww-ii-m1-garand.html

Just remember, and this is important, when reloading for the Garand, make sure your primers are seated correctly or else you'll get a slam fire...much worse than just bending the op rod.

DoubleOBar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lower Rio Grande Valley
    As already stated the Garand is a special need child when it comes to reloads. Most folks stick to 4895, 3031 or 4198 powders. Make certain you full length resize your cases and keep them trimmed to a uniform and poper length. Here are two loads that duplicate some USGI loads. These are for GI cases which have slightly thicker brass than commercial cases. The OAL of loaded rounds for the Garand should not be over 3.34".

M2 Ball - 47.5/4895/150 Spire point bullet
    M72 Match and Sniper - 46/4895/172 GI match bullet. A good 168 grain commercial match bullet can be substituted.

Top Bottom