• ...and so much more!
  • Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    How much more accuracy does it require if it drops it?
    None at all. If you are throwing a tight group at the range with Factory ammo your good. Now days there is a plethora of high-quality ammo that did not exist when I started hunting and competing. Match Grade Frankford Arsenal was the gold standard of loaded ammo in the 60s and 70s. Now, there is absolutely no compelling reason to reload for hunting or plinking, if your dead on, your golden.

With the current state of affairs concerning reloading components, I would not consider getting into reloading at this time. That plus all the shit you have to buy to manufacture quality ammo, and a place to set the whole mess up. Then there is the time. Most people don't have the, or any, discretionary time left in the day to tinker with ammo. Better to spend the time you have shooting good quality Factory rounds

Save your empties, there is some old fart out there that can use the brass.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    None at all. If you are throwing a tight group at the range with Factory ammo your good. Now days there is a plethora of high-quality ammo that did not exist when I started hunting and competing. Match Grade Frankford Arsenal was the gold standard of loaded ammo in the 60s and 70s. Now, there is absolutely no compelling reason to reload for hunting or plinking, if your dead on, your golden.
    Killed my first deer in 1966 at the age of 8, with factory ammo (.222).

Missed the first shot, I was 8, and it was my first deer, give me a break, lol.

It ran about 90 yards and stopped, got it with the second shot and dropped, 190 yards.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Yeah, 4350 is a great place to start for your purposes and your rifle.

A little background, though.

Classically, people tend to recommend IMR 4064 or one of the 4895 family, such as H4895, IMR-4895, AA-2495 or pull-down powder that's usually just marked "4895". Among the 4895s, IMR-4895 tends to be preferred.

The reason IMR-4895 and IMR-4064 are usually the default recommendation is because those two are very well suited to loads for the Garand. Anything slower-burning will cause problems with a Garand; port pressure can be a big issue.

While that's not the rifle you're using, it's still a decent rule of thumb that with those two powders you can probably find an accurate, if not highest velocity, load for almost any .30-06.

Of course, that's all academic. You've got 4350 and I feel sure it will work fine for you.
    Excellent point. It also reinforces the fact that the beloved '06 will work well with a number of powders. I started reloading the '06 many years ago and all the references at the time recommended 4895, even though the performance for 4064 and 4350 were better. I'm sure that the M-1 loading had a lot to do with that.4166 4451

I would like to add that I've tried some loads with IMR's Enduron line (4166 and 4451, equiv. to 4064 and 4350, respectively) but I did not get as good of results as I did with the older powders. Rumor has it that Hodgdon is dropping Enduron because of contract and delivery issues, so that may be another reason to avoid those powders. They are supposed to be less sensitive to temperature.

I have tried some loads with Varget, just for the heck of it, and it performed well. Varget is seldom the very best powder to choose, but it always works well.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Excellent point. It also reinforces the fact that the beloved '06 will work well with a number of powders. I started reloading the '06 many years ago and all the references at the time recommended 4895, even though the performance for 4064 and 4350 were better. I'm sure that the M-1 loading had a lot to do with that.4166 4451

I would like to add that I've tried some loads with IMR's Enduron line (4166 and 4451, equiv. to 4064 and 4350, respectively) but I did not get as good of results as I did with the older powders. Rumor has it that Hodgdon is dropping Enduron because of contract and delivery issues, so that may be another reason to avoid those powders. They are supposed to be less sensitive to temperature.

I have tried some loads with Varget, just for the heck of it, and it performed well. Varget is seldom the very best powder to choose, but it always works well.

Varget boggles my mind. I’ve always thought that when reloading, the powders that are recommended, are all similar in burn rate. But I’ve seen loads using Varget in cartridges all over the board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Went to the range today and shot some Hornady 165 grain GMX bullets over 55 grains of IMR4350. Put 3 shots in a 1” square. I’m gonna load up some more and confirm with at least 5 shots, but if it holds at 1”-1 1/2” I’ll be happy with it, especially out of a 72 year old Remington.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Went to the range today and shot some Hornady 165 grain GMX bullets over 55 grains of IMR4350. Put 3 shots in a 1” square. I’m gonna load up some more and confirm with at least 5 shots, but if it holds at 1”-1 1/2” I’ll be happy with it, especially out of a 72 year old Remington.

Sounds like you found a good load for your rifle. I don't think you willhave any problems with that load regardless of what you decideto hunt with it.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Sounds like you found a good load for your rifle. I don't think you willhave any problems with that load regardless of what you decideto hunt with it.

I’m gonna shoot another 5 shot group, and MAKE MYSELF LEAVE IT ALONE if it’s 1”-1 1/2”. I’m so use to working up target loads for my 6.5 creedmoor, and I’m not happy unless my groups are under 1/2” with that rifle, so 1” groups are hard to be satisfied with.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I’m gonna shoot another 5 shot group, and MAKE MYSELF LEAVE IT ALONE if it’s 1”-1 1/2”. I’m so use to working up target loads for my 6.5 creedmoor, and I’m not happy unless my groups are under 1/2” with that rifle, so 1” groups are hard to be satisfied with.

Sounds about like the accuracy of a store bought load.
    I'm sure it's good enough for hunting.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

1" to 1.5" groups is quite acceptable accuracy for a huntin load. Not so much for a target load though. For hunting loads I was comfortable with any load under 3 inches at 100 yards.

Top Bottom