• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Put my 30.06’s on the shelf a couple years ago in favor of my .270 and my 6.5 creedmoor. But I still have several boxes of bullets, and was thinking about working up a load, and dusting off the old Remingtons, a 721 bolt action and a 742 semi-auto, and giving them some attention this year. Was just starting into reloading for my rifles when I stopped shooting them, and looking at my notes, the only load I ever worked up was using a Hornady 150 grain interlock sp and Superformance powder. Looks like it shot out of the 721 pretty well, but I never fired it out of the 742. I opened the Lee and Hornady books to see what other powders I might use, and I had no idea how many powders would work. Anyone on here ever use CFE223? Or H335? I’ve got plenty of 4350 (Hodgdon, IMR, and accurate) and a couple lbs of 4831, so maybe they’re better, but wanted to get some opinions. I’ve got 150 grain SP’s, 165 grain GMX (solid copper) and 180 grain Nosler ballistic tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Those two are great for 223 and Valkyrie and other smaller case rounds. But there are much better powders for 30-06.

IMR4895, IMR4064, work great in 06.

My go-to for 30-06 is 51.1g of IMR 4064 under a 165g SST bullet. I love the SST bullets due to how lethal they are. Most are DRT, but had a big axis run 30yds.

I’m about to work up a load for 308 using those 150g Interlock.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I'd start with one of your 4350s. You should find something that works.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
    Of all the powders you listed I’d start there. I’ve had customers in the past that had excellent results with the Hornady 165 .30 cal bullet in their 30-06. Most were using H-4350.

For my 30-06, I’ve had real good results using 51 gn of IMR-4064. That’s also with either the Nosler BT or the Hornady SST in the 165-168gn weight range.

I’d shy away from the cfe223 or the h335 for the 06. Too much of either one of those may damage your rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
    Of all the powders you listed I’d start there. I’ve had customers in the past that had excellent results with the Hornady 165 .30 cal bullet in their 30-06. Most were using H-4350.

For my 30-06, I’ve had real good results using 51 gn of IMR-4064. That’s also with either the Nosler BT or the Hornady SST in the 165-168gn weight range.

I’d shy away from the cfe223 or the h335 for the 06. Too much of either one of those may damage your rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I figured 4350 would be my best option, but I was kind of surprised seeing those other powders listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    IMR-4064 was my go-to powder for .30-06 for many years, and I still use it. It seems like 4350 (either brand) is the current favorite, and I have to agree it does a great job. The '06 is an easy cartridge to load for, so it's hard to go wrong on powder selection. If you've got 4350, that's where I'd start.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, 4350 is a great place to start for your purposes and your rifle.

A little background, though.

Classically, people tend to recommend IMR 4064 or one of the 4895 family, such as H4895, IMR-4895, AA-2495 or pull-down powder that's usually just marked "4895". Among the 4895s, IMR-4895 tends to be preferred.

The reason IMR-4895 and IMR-4064 are usually the default recommendation is because those two are very well suited to loads for the Garand. Anything slower-burning will cause problems with a Garand; port pressure can be a big issue.

While that's not the rifle you're using, it's still a decent rule of thumb that with those two powders you can probably find an accurate, if not highest velocity, load for almost any .30-06.

Of course, that's all academic. You've got 4350 and I feel sure it will work fine for you.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yeah, 4350 is a great place to start for your purposes and your rifle.

A little background, though.

Classically, people tend to recommend IMR 4064 or one of the 4895 family, such as H4895, IMR-4895, AA-2495 or pull-down powder that's usually just marked "4895". Among the 4895s, IMR-4895 tends to be preferred.

The reason IMR-4895 and IMR-4064 are usually the default recommendation is because those two are very well suited to loads for the Garand. Anything slower-burning will cause problems with a Garand; port pressure can be a big issue.

While that's not the rifle you're using, it's still a decent rule of thumb that with those two powders you can probably find an accurate, if not highest velocity, load for almost any .30-06.

Of course, that's all academic. You've got 4350 and I feel sure it will work fine for you.
    4350 is an excellent powder for the 30-06 and my preferred for most handloads for rifles.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I'm partial to Hornady bullets personally and for he 30-06 I'd suggest a bullet in the 150 to 165 range of weight.
    We was having trouble finding Hornady 30 cal in the 70s, so darn popular they were always out of stock. I tried a new load from Sierra. The 2125, which is a 150 spitzer boat tail with a very small exposed lead tip. Powder was 51 gr 4064. I was loading for a Remmington bolt, the M1, and an M1903, and had a different load for each. With this " new" load I obtained excellent groups in all three. Still loading it.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Never used a hand load for hunting, or anything.
    Factory ammo from an old guy perspective. Before Hornady started loading cartridges from or with their own components most factory ammo was garbage. Some like the old Remington green box was crap. Most handloaders were looking for Bench Rest quality. Good factory ammo was referred to as Hunting Grade, considered inferior for any match use, and well below what handloaders found acceptable.

Hornady set the bar high for factory ammo. All the better companies responded with an improved grade, like Federal Premium and Federal Gold as an example. Most companies have a premium grade now, and it is quite acceptable for hunting. But if you want to put 3 rounds through the same hole at 200 yards you are going to have to roll your own, tuned for your barrel.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Factory ammo from an old guy perspective. Before Hornady started loading cartridges from or with their own components most factory ammo was garbage. Some like the old Remington green box was crap. Most handloaders were looking for Bench Rest quality. Good factory ammo was referred to as Hunting Grade, considered inferior for any match use, and well below what handloaders found acceptable.

Hornady set the bar high for factory ammo. All the better companies responded with an improved grade, like Federal Premium and Federal Gold as an example. Most companies have a premium grade now, and it is quite acceptable for hunting. But if you want to put 3 rounds through the same hole at 200 yards you are going to have to roll your own, tuned for your barrel.
    ^^^^ Ditto. Factory ammo alsoupgraded to using better bullets better suited for hunting as well.

Top Bottom