Texas SOT

3 Gun Match Rifles: What do you shoot? . . . . . . What's in your Multi-Gun Rifle

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    What rifle do you shoot for 3 gun?

did you build it or buy ready made?

What did you add to it and why?

Lower Receiver?

Upper Receiver?

trigger?

Safety?

sighting systems?

barrel?

Muzzkle device?

Rail system?

Stock?

Other gizmos?
    DK Firearms

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Re: 3 Gun Match Rifles: What do you shoot? . . . . . . What's in your Multi-Gun Rifl

What rifle do you shoot for 3 gun? AR

did you build it or buy ready made? Built it.

What did you add to it and why? Nothing really, yet.

Lower Receiver? Old Olympic I had laying around from the AWB days.

Upper Receiver? Some no-name flattop I found in a box of parts.

trigger? Turrible JARD single stage 2#(ish) non-adjustable I found in a box of parts.

Safety? Stock.

sighting systems? Old Burris 1-4x shotgun scope in an AR-P.E.P.R. mount

barrel? DPMS Heavy 18" w/rifle length gas.

Muzzkle device? Jerry Miculek comp.

Rail system? MI SS-Series 15" FF Handguard

Stock? CavArms A1 rifle buttstock

Other gizmos? That's it for the moment. I'm sure it'll be undergoing a lot of improvements one of these days, especially in optics and trigger.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Re: 3 Gun Match Rifles: What do you shoot? . . . . . . What's in your Multi-Gun Rifl

Bought or built it? Put it together myself

Lower receiver- pof 416 billet ambi

Fire control group- jp enterprises with yellow spring. (it's the perfect single stage competition trigger)

Selector - jp net adjustable ambi (adjustable tension so it feels just right as you move between safe-fire-safe)

Stock/tube - civi spec tube with magpie acs (because I won it at the aac silencer shoot in GA- it's not to heavy, has great cheek weld & locks up solid)

Buffer- spikes st2

Moe grip

Upper receiver - unknown mfr w/ f.a and m4 cuts

Bolt carrier group - old ar-15 one laying around

Barrel - white ok 18" spr profile mid length gas system (I wanted an accurate barrel for the long shots without too much weight)

muzzle device-MSTN quiet comp. It ain't quiet but in our testing is measurably tightened groups at 100 yards compared to bare muzzles and several flash hiders.

Sling -
    1. Tactical sling - various single or 3 point slings
    2. Shooting - my old m60 sling from my days in the us army.

Rail/forearm- Clark custom carbon fiber free float tube w/ aluminum barrel nut. (I wanted to put weight in the barrel and take it out of the rest of the rifle)

Sighting systems- acog on a larue mount with dueck defense rts offset sights (the acog is for the 40+ yard shots. The rts sights are for everything else. If the acog fails I can use the rts sights out to 300+ -assuming I can see that far)

Magazines -
    1. pMags
    2. surefire 60 rd - because it's cool and all the pimps have them on their 3 gun match rifles even though the stages don't require 20 rss and they require one magazine Change
    3. 40rd magazines - C products, cmmg and a few old pre- ban mags with knights and magpul followers and new springs.
    4. various usgi 30 rd mags with magpul followers
    5. Surefire 100 rd magazine- pimp. Seriously . . . because I have one

Miscellaneous -
    1. I added a magpul rail section to the top center of the rail with jb weld and a bolt to mount the front rts sight.
    2. Magpul bad lever- helps with end of stage weapons clearing.
    3. Norton ambi catch - because I could and sone obscure stage may require left handed reloads, did I say because pimps have them?

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

What do I want to try?
    Optics - cqb 1-8x or 4-16x long range scope

I wanted to shoot a suppressor, but major matches ban muzzles devices greater than 1 inch in diameter

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo

did you build it or buy ready made? BUILT
    Lower Receiver? POF AMBI Billet
    Upper Receiver? MIL-SPEC
    trigger? SSA-E
    Safety? LMT
    sighting systems? Swaro Z6i-BRT (backordered until this month... they say)
    barrel? 18" Noveske stainless LW, intermediate gas, Noveske bolt
    Muzzkle device? SJC Titan
    Rail system? 13" VTAC Extreme
    Stock? Magpul PRS
    Other gizmos?
    JP Scope Mount
    YM Super-Light Carrier
    JP Low Mass Buffer
    JP Action Spring
    BCM Mod4 Charging Handle
    Tango Down Grip
    VTAC Low-Profile Sling Mount (on handguard rail)
    Cascadia PRS QD Swivel Mount

-Randy

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr

AR_Billet_1.jpg

Old picture, sorry.

Billet upper/lower. Gissele Super 3-Gun trigger. Magpul MOE grip. YHM "Jarrett" forend (soon to be replaced with a Lancer carbon fiber, same configuration). Noveske mid-weight, mid-length gas 18" barrel (taper removed, fluted, titanium nitride coated). JP stainless/heavy bolt carrier group, titanium nitride coated. BCM Gunfighter charging handle. ACE skeleton stock. Endine buffer. Tubbs buffer spring. Z6i/BRT in a LaRue SPR-E mount. Insight RDS in a Burkett mount. F2 compensator (because, hell, they are the best on the market).

Fast, accurate, reliable, does everything fairly well. Not as fast as a short gun in close but more stable overall, not as sluggish as a long gun but a bit less velocity.

My previous three-gun rifle had a Sabre 18" fluted barrel, and the one before that was a Oly Ultramatch cut back to 18". Both shot well, but the Noveske is simply in another class. I liked it enough to pick up another Noveske for a 10.5" suppressed/full auto build (which also shoots great).

No need to go this crazy, of course. I build a lot of guns, and this one is all top-shelf parts...only built a few to match it, but I've built a lot that are...less expensive, but not that much less performance-wise :)

Alex

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound

I forgot I had a picture of the gutless wonder on my PC:

11015-3-gun-match-rifles-what-do-you-shoot-whats-your-multi-gun-rifle-3gun.jpg

Attachments

• 3gun.jpg
      3gun.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 437

ken hebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Port Arthur

11059-3-gun-match-rifles-what-do-you-shoot-whats-your-multi-gun-rifle-3gun-rifles.jpg

What rifle do you shoot for 3 gun? AR's and M1A

did you build it or buy ready made? Built AR's, bought M1A as is except for brake

What did you add to it and why? Free float forearms for accuracy, quality lightweight internals for reliability and speed

Lower Receiver? DPMS, RRA, Firebird, and Larue

Upper Receiver? DPMS, RRA, Firebird, Larue

trigger? JP

Safety? JP

sighting systems? Meopta Meostars, Burris XTR's, Leupold Mk 4, and modified A2

barrel? Wilson and Lothar Walthar

Muzzkle device? Rolling Thunder and Dominator (not pictured)

Rail system? Only Larue (not pictured) actually has rails, rails aren't needed for this sport

Stock? A1, A2, Magpul CTR, ACE ARFX

Other gizmos? Magpul MIAD grips, skateboard tape, JP LMOS carriers, JP and Larue scope mounts, steel charging handles

Attachments

• 3gun rifles.jpg
      3gun rifles.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 435

jdadams195000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    crosby

Dang love the arsenal in that last pic. I am thinking about getting into 3 gun as well so ill be following this thread closely. I currently have a Carbon 15 with an Eotech, a taurus pt-1911 all stock, and a maverick 88 with adjustable stock and pistol grip and ghost ring sights.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr

While not optimum, you would probably do better than most in Limited with that setup. Reliablity is king!

3Gunset_Alex_Sep08.jpg

Alex

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr

That is my old rig...the new hotness is in my previous post :)

That one is a Dreadnaught Industries upper and lower, Sabre 18" mid length gas fluted stainless 1/8 with a F2 comp (accept no inferior comps; F2 or...well, the Rolling Thunder is just about as good but half again as heavy :p ), titanium carrier, vintage M16 bolt, PRI adjustable gas system, Endine buffer, Tubbs spring, McCormick flat trigger, custom extended mag release, Badger tac latch on a DPMS steel charging handle, and an ACE stock. The scope mount is a LaRue (of course), the Burkett mount holds a Pride Fowler and the scope looks like a Meopta R1 (if memory serves; that was my gear about three years ago). I run a Swarovski Z6i BRT and a Insight RDS on my main Open gun these days.

The pistol is a Bedell shorty in 9mm. Dan Bedell is one of a handful of smiths that I trust; Benny is (of course) one of the (very few) others :D

The shotgun is a Dreadnaught Industries; short gas system, ported barrel, FH compensator, side folding stock, PowerCustom lockwork, modified Krebs safety, Insight RDS dot, JT mag guide, extended mag release, cut back to 18.1 and fitted with choke tubes.

Alex

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

While not optimum, you would probably do better than most in Limited with that setup. Reliablity is king!

3Gunset_Alex_Sep08.jpg

Alex

Alex,

are you shooting Open division?

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr

Yes. In almost every competition, a magazine-fed shotgun puts you in Open. I run the same rifle (with the microdot taped over) in Limited/Scope, a similar rifle with a carry handle bolted on (and a ARMS folding A-frame front sight, .090 Sightlink front sight) in Tac/Irons. Modified REPR 18" in Heavy Metal.

My "old tech" shotgun is a Winchester SX2 with oversized release button, welded lifter, and 3GunGear side saddle/Plus2 shell holders. My iron sight gun is a Triangle Shooting Sports 6" STI (Benny makes FANTASTIC 6" guns; I can't recommend them highly enough).

Alex

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Moved some stuff around on a couple rifles tho week. Stuck one of my Millett DMS's and a CMC trigger on it:

4836a142-8ac4-a663.jpg

I've got a match in a couple weeks so I'll see how it does.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr

Finally got around to taking some more recent (if still crappy) pictures of my various 3-Gun assortment party packs.

Open: Dreadnaught .223, Dreadnaught Saiga, Bedell 9mm. The AR forend is Lancer's latest carbon fiber creation...very slick.

3Gunheap_Open_Oct11.jpg

Tac/Scope: Dreadnaught .223, SX2 with Briley mods, TSS 40

3Gunheap_TacScope_Oct11.jpg

Tac/Iron: Dreadnaught .223, SX2, TSS 9mm

3Gunheap_TacIron_Oct11.jpg

Heavy/Scope: LWRC REPR/Dreadnaught mods, SX2, Dreadnaught single stack (for matches that require a pump, then a 22" 870P/ghost ring; double stack .45 gets the STI Tactical)

3Gunheap_HeavyScope_Oct11.jpg

Fun.

Alex

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

I added a new scope to my rifle. Picked up a 1-8 CQBSS.

Package Arrives:
    425912_237610776321127_1661647222_n.jpg

Size comparison of the optics:

430626_238026242946247_100002166196212_522838_1306940825_n.jpg

BEFORE:

422671_238024956279709_100002166196212_522834_1374469772_n.jpg

AFTER:
    431267_238025349613003_100002166196212_522836_1090802013_n.jpg

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

I really like the ACOG. the Binden Aiing Concept (BAC) doesn't work for me so I prefer the Dueck Defense RTS sights for close in wprk or an Affset RMR red dot.

The ACOG is compact and it works for as far out as you can see it!

Top Bottom