• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hvguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Hi all, new here, I'm located in Conroe Texas and was possibly interested in participating in the 3 gun event at the thunder gun range.

I have a few questions (ive done some searching and cannot find answers)

What is the largest capacity magazines allowed for shotgun and rifle usage? Does it vary? I believe I saw somewhere that a certain stage needed 7 loaded but there were 8 targets so it required a reload.

I have a custom built ar15 style long range gun with a 4-12x40 scope and a 24" barrel.

My only shotgun is an antique bolt action 12 gauge that only holds 3 rounds (including in the chamber)
    My pistol is my daily carry glock 23 in 40s&w so no problems there.

Any pointers? And can I use the bolt gun? Or would it be better suited for something else. Possibly a h-m round
    Gun Zone Deals

hvguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    I appreciate the honesty at least :) this maybe one of those (show up and ask) kind of things. but since I work nights, I might have to find a group that meets up at... not the crack of dawn lol

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Welcome. You'll need a pistol too with lots of mags too. Bolt action shotty will not work. You'll want semi auto with at least a 7 round capacity because you are going to be doing a lot of reloading. Your custom AR is going to get beat up so make sure you'll be OK with that. I've only watched 3gun but from watching it I can at least tell you this much. Hope that helps.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Is those rules.....or just "if you wanna win"? I would mind running a course with a pump, but it would be for fun and not competition.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is those rules.....or just "if you wanna win"? I would mind running a course with a pump, but it would be for fun and not competition.
    I've never even watched a three gun match but I have read a magazine article that discussed why you might not want to use a pump. I get the impression that pumps are perfectly fine under the rules but just not the choice of winners. Apparently, in the heat of competition, pump users will "short stroke" and cause themselves problems. The author didn't bother to define "short stroke", so I'll leave that one up to you.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Here's the run down on your questions

For shotgun the number of rounds you start with depend on what class your in. Most guys do tac ops. IIRC that starts with 8 in the gun. Open you filler up.
    You could use your AR but the scope is gonna have to come off. Conroe is a small range so the max is 65 yards. Gotta be able to shoot up close 10yards then transition to 65 yards
    Pistol your GTG. It would be useful to have 2-3 extra mags
    Shotgun there is no rule that says you can't use a bolt but it's gonna be a long day. Some shotgun stages are 10-15 shots. Nothing wrong with using a pump
    Since your close to Thunder you could go and watch one Saturday. I usually go so let me know and your more than welcome to try my gear. Only issue is my caddies can't be shared due to the belt I use.

hvguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    awesome, ill send you a PM, I just picked up a ruger 22/45 and I recall seeing somewhere in the rule that the piston must be atleast a certain caliber thus; no 22's :(

Top Bottom