Lynx Defense

2x 200 (195cc) Yamaha Blasters from out of state... (One has title, the other: no record of ownership...)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Here4TheChix

All the things...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2022
    Smith County
    So a coworker has 2 1997-1998 2-stroke Yamaha Blasters he is planning on selling me with a trailer, on the cheap.
    I'll be towing them from out of state, and these have been sitting for at least 5-6 years, and I assume they will need some work.
    I'll be getting a BOS for both and the trailer.

1) Any issues just taking them to my property, since off-road vehicles are no longer registered?

2) No OHV sticker required if they never are to be on public land, and we won't be riding them on the street?

3) The one w/out title, is leaving a state which has absolutley no record of... (and it is DEF. not stolen, he paid his sister-in-law's Blaster off, so it is his, he took over payments, but never got the title for some reason).

4) I assume we will have to get the trailer a TX plate, and pay Title... my first trailer, so unsure.

5) When shopping initially, a guy at a off-road shop says that ATVs over 90cc require the rider to be at least 16 years old to ride, Federal law, but I cannot find this info anywhere. Is this like a guy full of crap?

6) Any concerns I should have, or any additional hoops I might need to jump through?

Last edited:
    Reactions: gll

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    TXDMV
    SECTION 5.5
    Chapter 14.1
    Optional Title / Non-Titled

Texas trailer rules have changed a lot recently. I encourage you to read the above.

Now per my recent title experience:
    If the trailer is declared " Home Made, Non-titled" and its GVW is 4,000. pounds or less, you do NOT need to title it in Texas. You still need to REGISTER it. Big difference. You get a plate all the same, but no Blue Title.

TITLE requires a VIN on the trailer if it does not have one you get to go to a DPS operated trailer inspection location and get one stamped on.

Registration does not require this. Consider reading the above statue and then going by your county tag office and register it.

Per the Yamahas: Do not operate on any public land, any public right of way, rail road right of way. power line right of way, God forbid a public road unless titled and tagged.

Private land, yours or a friend, no problem.

Depending on which LEO you encounter carrying a non registered ATV on a trailer on a public road is arguable.

My back fence runs along the White Oak Creek WMA. It is under The Corps of Engineers. By agreement Texas Parks and Wildlife manages it. DPS, County Sheriff, and State Game Wardens, Federal Park Rangers, all share responsibility in enforcement. In conversations at the local diner if have heard 4 different versions of their understanding of this.

Advice, if you get stopped, tell the truth, agree with everything the LEO says and leave with a warning.

edit : This is non legal advice. All negligence, injury, or damages, real, or perceived, actual or inherent, that arises or may arise out of reliance or belief of any statement here in, is expressly denied including direct or expressed neglegense, to any first or third parties.

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    "Now per my recent title experience:
    If the trailer is declared " Home Made, Non-titled" and its GVW is 4,000. pounds or less, you do NOT need to title it in Texas. You still need to REGISTER it. Big difference. You get a plate all the same, but no Blue Title."

Home made OR manufactured, if below (maybe up to and including) 4000# GVWR, no requirement for title.

I can't seem to find DMV trailer info right now but I'm Peaking at Twins and not gonna put any more effort into it. :evil:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Can't help you on the legal side, but I would love to see those Blasters. I've been looking for one for awhile complete, but not running as you described. I use to have one and miss it. I know I know new toys are not yet for sale, but if you decide they are too much work, I may be interested. Just brought back to life a 07 YFZ 450 this past summer and would love to have a two smoke companion.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    they may not require a title

but if you want to get it back if its stolen your chances go way up. If its titled it needs a vin number stamped on it.

Here4TheChix

All the things...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2022
    Smith County
    And as far as the 16 year old law for driving a quad on private property...

Was the local off-road shop full of crap?

Last edited:

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    A while back I bought two quads and a trailer from a guy in AZ. I had to get the trailer inspected to get the title and registration issued. Title for the quads was easy, pay money get titles. Good luck with your adventure

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Federal law. I have never heard of this, but other than BLM / National Forrest land how would the federal government have any jurisdiction over our off road toys?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    "Now per my recent title experience:
    If the trailer is declared " Home Made, Non-titled" and its GVW is 4,000. pounds or less, you do NOT need to title it in Texas. You still need to REGISTER it. Big difference. You get a plate all the same, but no Blue Title."

Home made OR manufactured, if below (maybe up to and including) 4000# GVWR, no requirement for title.

I can't seem to find DMV trailer info right now but I'm Peaking at Twins and not gonna put any more effort into it. :evil:

I have a homemade trailer and it is not titled but is registered.

It was my dads, then mine. I went to register it and told them I had a homemade tailed I needed a tag for. $54 and I had one.

I’ve hauled two untitled 4 wheelers all over the place. They have been mostly used on private or leased land. But I’ve done it for around 20 years and never been questioned or stopped.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Federal law. I have never heard of this, but other than BLM / National Forrest land how would the federal government have any jurisdiction over our off road toys?

BLM does have rules. But the out of state stickers I’ve seen were issued by state agencies. License plates are not always required, but the state permit and maybe a BLM permit is required.

Top Bottom