• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elmerfudge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Joshua, Texas
    Just completed my second weekend P/T job as range officer. Assigned the Hand Traps. A few observations:

The good
    1. A lot of families, fathers/sons, fathers/daughters. Does my heart good to see shooting as a sport passed from one generation to another.
    2. For the most part, trap shooters at our range are experienced and safe.
    3. For them most part everyone adapts to the posted rules.
    4. There are a lot of really good trap shooters in DFW area!
    5. The was a nice gentleman with his two boys shooting a circa 1960 Ithica 20 gauge. The shotgun was in excellent shape. The action on those old pumps put these new shotguns to shame. Smooth as well oiled womans breast. Nuff said...

The bad
    1. The is a small minority that violate the shot size rule (7 1/2, 8 and 9 lead are acceptable). I've gotten to the point of doing an ammo check on everyone because of these few bozos. One dude showed up with OO buckshot. Several with #4. A couple with #7 steel.
    2. Another small minority load up a full tube of shells. (We have a 2 shell per gun limit). I had one guy get in my face when I gave him a second warning about popping off 3 or four shots. When I told him to ratchet it back or leave NOW he complied.
    3. Probably the biggest safety issue has been people loading their shotguns out of the box behind the thrower.
    4. I see a lot of both pumps and semi-autos experience FTE and tube jams. Most consistent cause is "I haven't cleaned my shotgun since last dove season. Got any oil, dude?" Clean those guns!

Other
    1. I used to shoot a lot of trap in the 80's/90's. One of the things that surprises me now is the number of shooters bring their short barreled home defense shotgun to shoot trap. Some are even pistol grip only. Strange to me but I'm old.
    2. I'm a stickler for safety. One of my three carrier cruises was as a Flight Deck Safety Officer. I saw several instances where things went from nominal to deadly in in a few micro seconds. Same things can happen on a shooting line.
    2. Sure is enjoyable working outdoors (even if very hot), meeting a lot of very nice people. Great P/T job for an old fart.
    Texas SOT

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    "I'm a stickler for safety. One of my three carrier cruises was as a Flight Deck Safety Officer. I saw several instances where things went from nominal to deadly in in a few micro seconds. Same things can happen on a shooting line."

Great comment.

It don't matter if the "gun line" is .22 Caliber Long Rifle or 203mm Artillery. Everyone on the "gun line" is a "safety officer."

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I learned something from your post and I do thank you. I have never done it that I recall, then again I don't shoot shotguns much. The point you made about loading the shells behind the line. I honestly would have assumed as long as its not chambered it would be ok. I love learning things as it corrects bad things even if you unknowingly do it.

~Sent from space~

Top Bottom