• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    A recent new member here, born in Europe, raised my curiosity about this.

I am of the understanding that South Africa and perhaps communist countries have a total ban on civilian firearm ownership. Europe in general has severe limitations on ownership and pretty much only allow shotguns.
    I am surely misinformed and hope for a little "TGT education".

Anyone know what countries allow citizens to have firearms, what countries do not, and what countries have severe limitations on firearm ownership?
    Target Sports

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    A recent new member here, born in Europe, raised my curiosity about this.

I am of the understanding that South Africa and perhaps communist countries have a total ban on civilian firearm ownership. Europe in general has severe limitations on ownership and pretty much only allow shotguns.
    I am surely misinformed and hope for a little "TGT education".

Anyone know what countries allow citizens to have firearms, what countries do not, and what countries have severe limitations on firearm ownership?

Most countries require licensing / registration if they allow guns, but my own interest in the subject revealed thus:

Austria allows not only ownership of firearms, but has national concealed carry licensing. They have tiered license schemes, require class & range training, but you *can* get a carry permit there.

The Czech Republic likewise allows civilian ownership of firearms - shooting sports are huge in the Czech Republic, and you can also get a permit to carry there as well.

South Africa - at least before the recent major upsets politically, did allow for citizens to own firearms, including semi-autos. Oscar Pistorias used a Glock to kill his girlfriend. SA has always been a violent place, and they gave birth to car-born flame throwers as anti-theft measures, everyone who can afford it has layers of security around their home, and they could at least own firearms for protection. Tiered license scheme, IIRC.

Honduras allows citizens to own certain types of firearms, and restricts how much ammunition you may purchase. IIRC there's *one* licensed gun shop in all of Honduras, and they have police stationed there to check people going in, and to stop robberies.

Costa Rica *used* to be relatively firearm friendly, but he laws changed a few years ago. They used to allow semi-auto stuff with registration, but I believe that was banned a while back and now you're limited to stuff like .22's, bolt action and pump action shotguns, etc. Hunting guns, in other words.

American Samoa (yeah, technically part of the United States, but its a protectorate / territory, and not a state, and thus they don't adhere to the Constitution like states have to) bans everything but rimfires and low capacity shotguns. No pistols, no semi-auto rifles. No carry.

Northern Ireland allows ownership and you can get a carry permit, though its very difficult.

Switzerland allows citizens to own guns, even requires a firearm be kept at home for members of the military / militia - but you can't carry it out of the home.

Mexico theoretically also allows for citizens to own firearms, but they cannot be in a current or historical military caliber. That's why .38 Super is so popular south of Texas. .32ACP / .380, 9mm Largo are also popular rounds as you go south from McAllen. Hard to get licensed, and IIRC no legal carry. But if you're a Cartel member, **** the laws - you get the finest the United States or Germany or Austria can produce. Fun switches, grenades, whatever. The cops look the other way with you open carrying your M16A2 with M203 or your G3 or your MP5, your Glock 18, or whatever so long as you're protecting human trafficking victims or drugs.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I believe Canada still allows some long guns since hunting is relatively big up there. Not sure about pistols.

Forgot Canada - they do allow both pistols and long guns. They have a weird law - RIFLES are restricted to 5 round magazines, but PISTOLS can have 10 rounders. Since there are 5.56 pistols, Canadian gun owners can legally get 10 round mags for their rifles. They have a system kind of like Illinois "FOID" card - you get the permit from the gubmint, you can walk into any gun shop, fill out a 4473-like form, they take down your ID info, and you walk out with your gun. That FOID card thing up there is a bitch, I guess, and they can yank it any time. They had a long gun registry that was scrapped because even compliant Canada only had 10% compliance (we need to learn from them, I guess). Hand guns are all registered and carry is very restricted. I think you can technically carry a handgun while in the wilderness for protection, but you might have to have a hunting or fishing license to do so. Been a while since I looked. I know they crawl up your ass if you declare a firearm at the border.

I believe both Argentina and Brazil also allow citizens to own certain firearms - again, non military calibers, and I don't know if they allow legal carry or not aside from hunting.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Most countries require licensing / registration if they allow guns, but my own interest in the subject revealed thus:

Austria allows not only ownership of firearms, but has national concealed carry licensing. They have tiered license schemes, require class & range training, but you *can* get a carry permit there.

The Czech Republic likewise allows civilian ownership of firearms - shooting sports are huge in the Czech Republic, and you can also get a permit to carry there as well.

South Africa - at least before the recent major upsets politically, did allow for citizens to own firearms, including semi-autos. Oscar Pistorias used a Glock to kill his girlfriend. SA has always been a violent place, and they gave birth to car-born flame throwers as anti-theft measures, everyone who can afford it has layers of security around their home, and they could at least own firearms for protection. Tiered license scheme, IIRC.

Honduras allows citizens to own certain types of firearms, and restricts how much ammunition you may purchase. IIRC there's *one* licensed gun shop in all of Honduras, and they have police stationed there to check people going in, and to stop robberies.

Costa Rica *used* to be relatively firearm friendly, but he laws changed a few years ago. They used to allow semi-auto stuff with registration, but I believe that was banned a while back and now you're limited to stuff like .22's, bolt action and pump action shotguns, etc. Hunting guns, in other words.

American Samoa (yeah, technically part of the United States, but its a protectorate / territory, and not a state, and thus they don't adhere to the Constitution like states have to) bans everything but rimfires and low capacity shotguns. No pistols, no semi-auto rifles. No carry.

Northern Ireland allows ownership and you can get a carry permit, though its very difficult.

Switzerland allows citizens to own guns, even requires a firearm be kept at home for members of the military / militia - but you can't carry it out of the home.

Mexico theoretically also allows for citizens to own firearms, but they cannot be in a current or historical military caliber. That's why .38 Super is so popular south of Texas. .32ACP / .380, 9mm Largo are also popular rounds as you go south from McAllen. Hard to get licensed, and IIRC no legal carry. But if you're a Cartel member, **** the laws - you get the finest the United States or Germany or Austria can produce. Fun switches, grenades, whatever. The cops look the other way with you open carrying your M16A2 with M203 or your G3 or your MP5, your Glock 18, or whatever so long as you're protecting human trafficking victims or drugs.

>
    The Swiss Confederation doesn't allow citizens to CC handguns, but one can take long guns out in public. I don't know about specifics, but I once saw two college age girls on a Geneva city bus with what looked to me (from a distance) to be FAL's, or something similar, uncased. Having spent time there in recent years, the entire country "feels" very, very safe. The Swiss control who immigrates strictly, citizens are responsible, crime is minimal. I also saw a "hardware store" displaying revolvers in their front window display case. It was sorta like 1955 USA.

The French do have firearms ownership, they do hunt, and there is some way to CC albeit very restricted. I gave up on their famous Aquitaine "chasse de palombes de bois", b/c their firearms "import" by non-French citizens is Byzantine and the "second layer" of paperwork looked to be in archaic French legalese beyond my language capabilities. I did try to remind the sob's that when my late Dad arrived in June 1944, not only was he heavily armed, but he flew over alone, piloting a planeload of assorted arms and ammo they had requested for le Resistance, les Maquis, and other NAZI-disarmed Frenchmen.

And, I was just trying to take a single-bbl, non-repeating 12GA.

I understand that Belgium is more permissive.

So-far the Canadian laws are mostly restricting handguns. We were up in Nova Scotia a few years back when some nut in adjacent New Brunswick killed several Mounties with an AR. The urban Canucks want more restrictions.

Ladies and Gentlemen, WE are the keystone of this for the entire World, we must stand firm and demand all governments respect and abide by our U S Constitution, including EVERY "Judge" in our Nation.

leVieux

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    After completing mandatory national service in the Swiss army, they are issued a rifle (select fire started in '97) to store at home along with their basic load of ammo, field gear, and three days of rations. They can get other weapons to store at home and the government subsidizes ammunition for practice. They do hate being compared to other countries with reference to gun laws though.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    After completing mandatory national service in the Swiss army, they are issued a rifle (select fire started in '97) to store at home along with their basic load of ammo, field gear, and three days of rations. They can get other weapons to store at home and the government subsidizes ammunition for practice. They do hate being compared to other countries with reference to gun laws though.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Most

>

Most years, the entire country doesn't record a single murder. The Swiss people are extremely responsible and polite.

When inquiring re Muslims, I was told: "We don't allow them in except for diplomats or those with specific business. We are 45% Protestant, 45% Catholic, & 5% Jewish; and we LIKE IT THIS WAY!"

The Swiss business folks I spoke with back in 2010 despised Obama. They said to me "This taking over banks, insurance companies, automakers, etc. We have seen this before. We were surrounded by it for some five years, and we don't like it. It was called "Hitler" back then, and your Obama is the "BLACK HITLER !"

Contrast that with the French or Brits !

leVieux

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Most

>

Most years, the entire country doesn't record a single murder. The Swiss people are extremely responsible and polite.

When inquiring re Muslims, I was told: "We don't allow them in except for diplomats or those with specific business. We are 45% Protestant, 45% Catholic, & 5% Jewish; and we LIKE IT THIS WAY!"

The Swiss business folks I spoke with back in 2010 despised Obama. They said to me "This taking over banks, insurance companies, automakers, etc. We have seen this before. We were surrounded by it for some five years, and we don't like it. It was called "Hitler" back then, and your Obama is the "BLACK HITLER !"

Contrast that with the French or Brits !

leVieux
    .but
    Soooo brothers ain't allowed to partake of yo wimmen. Damn dawg

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Soooo brothers ain't allowed to partake of yo wimmen. Damn dawg
    >

Their comments were re muslim immigrants.

They did not like Obama, but it wasn't over his "race". They felt the exact same re Geithner, who is very White.

"Women" were not topic of any discussions I had with them.

leVieux

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    >

Their comments were re muslim immigrants.

They did not like Obama, but it wasn't over his "race". They felt the exact same re Geithner, who is very White.

"Women" were not topic of any discussions I had with them.

leVieux
    I know it sir

Top Bottom