• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I got bit by the 22 mag bug about a month ago. Since then, I acquired a used Ruger single six in SS w/5.5" bbl. I went with the convertible so I could enjoy it "on the cheap". Overall I have found little difference in the accuracy of the 2 rounds but a good variation in MV. Here are the results using several brands of standard and HV ammo in the LR as well as a test with 22WMR 40gr SP rounds by Fiocchi. For starters I went with federal bulk back rounds(red box 36gr plated hp), they chrono'ed at an avg. of 1059 fps with an ES of 84 and SD of 23. Next up was the remington golden bullets bulk rounds(also 36gr plated hp). They fired out at 1070 fps(Avg) with an ES of 80 and SD of 25. I also thought no test would be complete without some remington thunderbolt bullets(40gr lrn). They produced and avg. speed of 1075 fps with an ES of 103 and SD of 27. Somewhere in the mix, I ran the Fiocchi mag bullets through the chrono as well. The 22 WMR loads zipped out at an avg of 1417 fps with an ES of 147 and SD of 43. To put the test in complete perspective, I also tested 2 different HV loads for the LR chambering. Keeping with the remington theme, I tested out the remington viper HV 36gr truncated bullets. These rounds avg'd 1137 fps with an ES of 49 and an SD of 16. Lastly, I loaded up some CCI velocitor rounds(40gr HV hp) and gave them a whirl. They popped out at 1165 fps(avg) with an ES of 124 and SD of 35. Just to satisfy my curiousity, I also ran the velocitors through a 10/22 w/16"bbl. The MVs increased on these to 1364 fps(avg) with an ES of 92 and SD of 31. Which does make perfect sense considering the extra barrel length.
    Overall, it was a fun test to run. I love gathering "real world" data on various loads and these were revealing. I thought I'd have minimal increase in overall MV with a mag round(considering the short barrel) but they do produce about 35% more power for the same size projectile than the LR rounds. I also had no failures of any kind with all loads tested including the golden bullets in my 10/22(my first time with these). I didn't chrono those results but they were 100% reliable in all guns used. Surprisingly, the cheap bulk ammo was very consistent with low ES and SDs. For those of you who don't reload, that stands for extreme spread and standard deviation. Any load with a low SD is inherently accurate and consistent. It may be possible to produce a load with low SD that still shoot like crap but that hasn't been my experience. I was also impressed with the performance of the remington Viper rounds. An SD under 20 is hard to achieve. It is also noteworthy that, the CCI velocitors were a little more consistent in a longer barrel which may indicate that they are better suited for rifles. You could definitely feel the extra pop behind the 22 WMR bullets but the single six was just as fun to shoot with the 22lr bullets with virtually no recoil. Hope this info helps some of you guys on the fence about the 22 mag. If I'm lucky, my next test will be behind the trigger of a bolt rifle, where I can really stretch out the round to its full potential.
    Gun Zone Deals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    wow. You just broke my heart on 22mag?

Question,

From the critter control aspect....What would you need to shoot, out a 5.5 barrel with 22mag? What would be the need for 22mag over 22lr?

A really close rabbit, wearing a tiny kevlar helmet?

I can see the need in a rifle all day long. But a Ruger six? 22mag was made to have extra reach and energy then the 22lr. Both of which you lower out a 5.5 barrel. Kinda like mud tires on a Cadillac.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Pretty much what I came up with years ago, using CCI Mini-Mags and CCI Maxi-Mags... the WMR rounds from a pistol had more velocity than the LR rounds did from a rifle (10/22).

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I like to think that I have a gun for any occasion and every once and a while I like to shoot something I don't reload for. Otherwise, I think most people would agree that to have over 30% more power in the same gun has some merit.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I like to think that I have a gun for any occasion and every once and a while I like to shoot something I don't reload for. Otherwise, I think most people would agree that to have over 30% more power in the same gun has some merit.

Tex, Iam in no way knocking the firearm. From a design standpoint of the single action Ruger in 22cal. What would the need be for 30% more power? You wrote up a very detailed summary on the 22mag. Im trying to bring about discussion on why 22mag would be needed in a ruger single six. You are a hardcore reloader. Get the wheels turning on the 22mag in other ways since it can't be reloaded.

Ok, lets say your walking the woods. 22mag is ideal for raccoons and other game it's size....grey fox. However, so is standard 22lr.

Both animals are nocturnal. Ive taken grey fox at distances of less then 15' with a garden variety ruger 10/22. He would be just as dead if I had stuck him with 22mag over 22lr. And in chunks if I had used 17hmr. However, holding a flashlight in one hand and a 5.5" barrel in the other seems to make for some off shots on game at night.

How does 22mag in a ruger single six improve over the same in 22lr? Are we hunting deer with a 50cal just cause we can? Or does the 50cal insure a humane kill?

30% more power vs 22lr? So? Why do you need it with a close range firearm?

Top Bottom