• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I have been stocking up for years. I learned from the last ammo shortage. 22lr best and cheapest to stock deep
    Good luck!

This is pretty much how I see it. I never ran out during the last drought, but I had a lot of friends who did. He ones who told me they wanted to take their kids or wife shooting, I helped out at cost. And I never want to be reliant on a store to determine if I can go to the range or not.

My goal is to not have to buy common range ammo when I retire. For me, that means primarily .22/9MM/.223/.40/.45/.10MM (for now). Of these, .22LR is by far the easiest to buy ahead on. Even at $0.06 per round, you are looking at $600 for 10K rounds.

At this stage in my life, I tend to bring my young adult daughters and their friends to the range and get them shooting as much as I can. I also enjoy bringing non-shooting friends and their spouses/kids to the range to introduce them to our lifestyle. And after we go over safety rules (Clint Smith video) and weapon handling and basic grip and sights, they shoot my .22 pistols and rifle to their hearts content. We may easily go through 300 rounds in a session. And I love introducing and developing new shooters.

I would have a difficult time doing this with 9MM or any other caliber. They do graduate to center fire rounds, but I have them build basics and confidence with .22’s.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have so much 22lr I actually thought about selling some. Then I bitch slapped myself and came to my senses.

No selling ammo for me. I might give some to my one shooting buddy that always seems to get caught short by the ammo shortage du jour.
    Nah. Let him learn. All he learns when you give him ammo every time is.......

angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    Nah. Let him learn. All he learns when you give him ammo every time is.......
    Can't do that to this guy. He's helped me out plenty with other stuff. True friend, not just somebody that shows up when he needs something. But he does have his quirks...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Seems to be quite a bit of 22LR around. I've seen it everywhere I have been. Surprising considering the shortage of a few years ago. I thought it would be worse this time. I guess olks talked themselves out of eating squirrels and rabbits. I could eat for months on those two things in my hood.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    As luck would have it I ordered and received 4,000 rounds of Aguila just a couple of weeks before all this nonsense started.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    To their credit, most places put a limit on ammo fairly early this time instead of letting a few buy it all. Doubt if I will buy much if any more. Might get some more reloading supplies for the pistols though.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

sixtysixFox

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    San Antonio
    I'm looking forward to PCSing soon into a house so I can begin gathering a reloading setup. Must more better than dealing with empty shelves. Although I've got plenty of 22LR saved up to satisfy me for a while.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    There have been empty shelves for reloading supplies as well. The key is to have the stuff stocked up beforehand, no matter what it is. All the reloading equipment in the world won't get you anywhere without bullets, primers, shells and powder.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom