• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Could a youth single shot loaner rifle program work?

• Total voters

Wulf202

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2021
    Canton tx
    This might be one of my dumber ideas but hear me out;

I put on a mostly worn out Appleseed shirt to work on the truck today and a thought occurred to me between wrenching and cussing.

A single shot 22lr isn't a huge expense but it's kind of a waste if you only have one kid to teach. I'm sure everyone could round up an extra gun if needed but a specific youth stock single shot like a cricket or the equivalent is what I'm talking about. It's only really useful during the first range trip or two of teaching a young shooter. After that the tedium of loading a firing seems to bore the young especially compared to the adults cooler toys, there is the occasional exception though. However the safety of only one shot is very reassuring when teaching the basics of firearm safety. Those with young children may appreciate the opportunity to save $80-$200 outlay.

So I'm asking for a round table discussion, no commitments. I put up a poll because I've never used that button yet, longer answers are what I'm hoping for.

What ramifications are there on a loaned out gun?

Is this a worthwhile idea or a waste of time?

How would you ensure it comes back to the owner in working order?

If you need one, how far would you drive to borrow?

If you owned one how far would you let it go down the road?

Whom would you be willing to loan a rifle like that to in general?

I've stopped loaning my tools or vehicles because they seem to come back broken so maybe this me not learning.
    Guns International

ArmyDub

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2020
    Texas
    i have an old steven’s favorite i’d loan out B52B2486-3B83-4200-82F7-62B31C3E737A.jpeg

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    OP, it was a worthy idea. I had all the same initial concerns already mentioned by others here. Maybe start small?
    Take the rifle to the range and offer to let young uns shoot it? With complete supervision, that is. Many, like me, probably picked up the basics in Boy Scouts or other youth group. It was a good environment to learn. Our leaders were knowledgeable and safety-conscious. I lived to talk about it.

Good luck, whichever future you take.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …A single shot 22lr isn't a huge expense but it's kind of a waste if you only have one kid to teach...
    It’s a waste to think the only value of a single shot .22 is to teach a kid how to shoot or that a child wouldn’t have memories of the first firearms they shoot.

Last edited:

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I agree with most that day no due to today's litigious society. Consider a Savage 24 in .22LR over 410 or 20ga with a 410 adapter. A good teaching tool, and moderate investment as well.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    What is the first thing you learn after you loan out a gun?

Never loan out a gun

You might do ok locally, but loaning one out is a terrible idea, as you will not be able to supervise what the loan-ee will do with it. Lots people have zero business teaching firearms safety

And if you were to offer to ship the gun out to people, after transfer fees, shipping, both ways, you will have already spent more than the rifle is worth

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Biggest obstacle for many is knowing someone close to home with acreage, where you can bring the kids to fire their first shots. Going to the public range can be jarring, especially if you get some yahoo blasting away with his AR in the 25 yard lanes.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas

I put on a mostly worn out Appleseed shirt to work on the truck today and a thought occurred to me between wrenching and cussing.

A single shot 22lr isn't a huge expense but it's kind of a waste if you only have one kid to teach. I'm sure everyone could round up an extra gun if needed but a specific youth stock single shot like a cricket or the equivalent is what I'm talking about. It's only really useful during the first range trip or two of teaching a young shooter. After that the tedium of loading a firing seems to bore the young especially compared to the adults cooler toys, there is the occasional exception though. However the safety of only one shot is very reassuring when teaching the basics of firearm safety. Those with young children may appreciate the opportunity to save $80-$200 outlay.

So I'm asking for a round table discussion, no commitments. I put up a poll because I've never used that button yet, longer answers are what I'm hoping for.

I've stopped loaning my tools or vehicles because they seem to come back broken so maybe this me not learning.
    I live in Granbury
    -I would not drive
    -I would require a cash deposit equal to value of either rifle
    -seems like a good program

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX

Technically there already exist one but not known. Most 4H groups I have worked with have club guns for the youth shooter to use. When my daughter first started competing in 2013, she started out with a BB/Air rifle and was assigned one to her for training purpose and later went to 22 rifle. When she started shotgun, the club encourages to already have a shotgun but they do have club guns and assign them to the youth competitor until they purchase their own. I have not seen any problems or ramifications and most parents returned them when the youth either quits or transfers to another 4H club. All guns are inspected by gunsmiths when returned. The guns remain the property of the 4H and parents sign a waiver for them before it is accepted for the youth shooter.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom