• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What options are out there in the .22 world? I'm looking at the AAC Prodigy and SilencerCo Sparrow as face value options. What do you guys use and suggest? I'm going to be putting ALOT of rounds out of this can and really want something that is going to hold up, be easy to clean, and is light-weight. I will be shooting alot of match grade sub-sonic ammo out of it which will cause alot of wax build-up, just FYI.
    Guns International

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    I would suggest the AAC Element. Top performance, light weight and solid steel with no aluminum. It cost a bit more but its worth it in the long run. I love mine and its been quieter to every one's ear when we compare it to other cans (which really only means a little bit). For aluminum cans the AAC Prodigy and SilencerCo Sparrow are bot excellent cans which you can not go wrong with.

Disclaimer: I have done design work for AAC on a contract basis so you can assume I have a bit of a bias.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    The AAC Element is a great can and may be the premium .22 can to buy. I shot one and was VERY impressed. Light, small, take apart, quite, and good for 22 mag if I recall correctly. My personal preference has been MY SWR Spectre, it's a bit heavier but can handle my 5.7 pistol and still run as a take apart 22 can. So many good options.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Several options all have their pluses and minuses:
    1. Element ($595.00): Most expensive, smallest, quiestest, weights 4.7oz
    2. Prodigy ($500.00 - I think): Almost as quiet as the element, lighter, cheaper, 3.7oz
    3. Spectre ($500.00): Almost as quest as the element, heaviest at 8.7oz, but the only true multi platform can as it can be used on the FN5.7, PS-90 and AR57.
    4. Silencerco Sparrow ($450.00), not as quest as the element, weighs 4.7oz, most innovative can in the mechanical department (clamshell inside the tube w/ monolithic baffle core) and louder than the element, spectre & prodigy.
    5. Gemtech Alpine ($425.00): Said to be as quiet as the outback II. We have two. Haven't shot one yet as I want to sell them and not keep one. Odd baffle design. Said to use a nickel as a dissassembly tool.

You would be happy with any of the 5 cans. I prefer the Element, Prodigy and the spectre as those are the ones that I own and use.

VWGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Austin
    Have a Sig Mosquito that I'm considering a can for, but am also looking an integral silencer for a High Standard Trophy. It's an old pistol, but the easily changed barrel and potential for shorter overall length has an appeal. Also, with the same grip angle as my 1911, there is a certaim familiarity when I shoot it. Any thought on anyone making integral silencers / barrels.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I have an SWR Spectre. It is very quiet with .22lr and is rated for 22wm and 5.7 also. The thing is built like a tank but is heavier than some .22lr only cans. Disassembles to clean.

Top Bottom