• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    That would be great. I have an old Crosman 22 pump up that I got from my dad and it needs new seals. I would like to have it going again as a keepsake. I know he got it in the 40's or early 50's.

On a later note I picked up a Benjamin Prowler break barrel in 177 recently and that thing is LOUD. It's abt the same as a 22short. I guess it's the pellet breaking the sound barrier???

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I recently picked up a Benjamin Phoenix NP2. I broke it in with 250 rounds & the trigger & grouping was still off by 3"-4", with the occasional flier. I was going to do the bearing mod to the trigger but the trigger is different than the older NP2 triggers you see the videos of. My trigger is solid & does not have the slot like the older NP2 triggers. Just be careful if you do a trigger mod... pull the trigger out 1st to make sure you can do the mod. my.02

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    @TreyG-20 - I've found myself where you were a few years ago with this OP and I'm itching to get a good air rifle. I'm hoping you can maybe save me some grief and make recommendations.

I have a couple old 177cal pumpers that I'll likely dig out and play with, but I'd really like to get a good break action spring-piston or gas-piston for $200 or less, probably 22cal. I've been loking around - there's so much to choose from!

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    @TreyG-20 - I've found myself where you were a few years ago with this OP and I'm itching to get a good air rifle. I'm hoping you can maybe save me some grief and make recommendations.

I have a couple old 177cal pumpers that I'll likely dig out and play with, but I'd really like to get a good break action spring-piston or gas-piston for $200 or less, probably 22cal. I've been loking around - there's so much to choose from!
    I ended up going way over the budget I had posted and bought a RWS Diana 48 side cocking .22 rifle. It is a bit loud and thumpy, but is built like a tank. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a springer.

Now I am wanting a PCP rifle. There are several in the 4-500 dollar range like the Benjamin Sheridan amd Hatsun that I like. Problem is a electric high pressure pump cost just as much as the rifle. I'm not super interested in the bike tire type pumps since it will have to be pumped several hundred times to get it up to pressure.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I ended up going way over the budget I had posted and bought a RWS Diana 48 side cocking .22 rifle. It is a bit loud and thumpy, but is built like a tank. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a springer.

Now I am wanting a PCP rifle. There are several in the 4-500 dollar range like the Benjamin Sheridan amd Hatsun that I like. Problem is a electric high pressure pump cost just as much as the rifle. I'm not super interested in the bike tire type pumps since it will have to be pumped several hundred times to get it up to pressure.
    The RWS Diana 48 was a good choice! I've had mine since the '80s, but it is .177. Side cockers are inherently more accurate than break barrels.

I see the pump cost of PCP as same problem as you, but PCP is appealing, especially in calibers where bullets can be reasonably cast.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    The RWS Diana 48 was a good choice! I've had mine since the '80s, but it is .177. Side cockers are inherently more accurate than break barrels.

I see the pump cost of PCP as same problem as you, but PCP is appealing, especially in calibers where bullets can be reasonably cast.
    And that leads to another question on my mind - casting our own bullets.
    It appears NOE doesn't have molds for 177 or 22 cal pellets, and I've never tried casting bullets anywhere near that small. If it is not too small to cast, where do you get your molds from?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    And that leads to another question on my mind - casting our own bullets.
    It appears NOE doesn't have molds for 177 or 22 cal pellets, and I've never tried casting bullets anywhere near that small. If it is not too small to cast, where do you get your molds from?
    I dunno for sure, but I don't think it's practical to cast smaller than .30, maybe .25. .30 PCP can use standard cast bullets, I think. I've never seen pellet molds, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I just bought a lifetime supply of .177 and .22 pellets a couple years ago...

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I looked into the pellet deal and it seems like a lot of them are swaged...

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I've never bought a new springer. Currently have a Beeman Hurricane, Beeman C-1 and a HY-SCORE 809. The Hurricane gets alot of use. So I recommend anyone serious look for an older gun from a reputable european [Beeman, Webley, Diana, RWS, Weihrauch, etc], on one of the airgun forum classifieds. I would expect them to shoot much better and last longer than anything new for equivalent prices.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My question was related to relative accuracy of the "break bbl" models. Just from looking, if the sights are mounted on the receiver but the barrel is moveable, it looks like a major weakness.

How bad is this at usual air rifle ranges, say 30 to 40 or 50 yards ? I'm not a precision target guy, so my concern is re pests & small game.

Our rural 3.5ac yard has a horde of fox squirrels, toads, crows, gators, snakes, possums, coons, rats, & tons of feral cats, w/ 270' Bayou front and 300' small l drainage canal frontage. Seems that some of those would eat the others, but all we see is dead songbird remains.

leVieux

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Yes and no... scopes are mounted on the 'receiver' spring tube and work fine. The barrel should lock up when it's closed the same every time because it's a spring loaded lockup. if the barrel wobbles it won't shoot good anyway, and needs to be tightened somehow. Usually they lock up tight. My break barrels are all decades old and work fine with scopes as the lockup remains tight. Shouldn't be a worry. Ask the same question on the springer section of the GTA or AirgunNation forums for a more qualified response. They are great forums too. what air rifle do you have?

Side lever and bottom lever air rifles don't have this problem.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I have an RWS (German made) break barrel in .177 cal / 1000 fps and the pellets I fire are 'very accurate' up to 30 or so yards.

Actually, it may be just as accurate even further than that, but my quarry is usually within 30 yds...

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes and no... scopes are mounted on the 'receiver' spring tube and work fine. The barrel should lock up when it's closed the same every time because it's a spring loaded lockup. if the barrel wobbles it won't shoot good anyway, and needs to be tightened somehow. Usually they lock up tight. My break barrels are all decades old and work fine with scopes as the lockup remains tight. Shouldn't be a worry. Ask the same question on the springer section of the GTA or AirgunNation forums for a more qualified response. They are great forums too. what air rifle do you have?

Side lever and bottom lever air rifles don't have this problem.
    I haven’t owned one in decades but now NEED one and am “looking”. The old ones were Benjamin .22 pumps back in the 1940’ & ‘50’s. Those worked quite well, IIRC. Thanks for your reply ! LeVieux

Top Bottom