• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I had a RWS 34 .22 break barrel air rifle as a kid that I must have shot everyday for years with tens of thousands of pellets through it. I gave it to my cousin before I joined the Army and he still has it.

I am in the market for another backyard plinker in .22 similar to my old 34. There are a ton of options now. Much cheaper than the RWS. Anybody have a solid sub 200 dollar rifle they care to share some info about?

Also are airguns not popular anymore? Only one post in this forum.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I can't recommend one <$200. The only one I got under $200 was a Benjamin Trail NP. I didn't like it. The trigger was poor and didn't have the advertised velocity and power. There is an NP2 model out now but don't know about it. I sent it back and got a Hatsan 125 sniper. It is closer to $300. If you are interested I can tell you more about it.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The best options I know of is to check out the ones at Walmart or Academy. Depending on what you want, some are not to bad.
    But if you want a better quality airgun, Paramid Air online is probably your best bet.

from an idgit coffeeholic

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I can't recommend one <$200. The only one I got under $200 was a Benjamin Trail NP. I didn't like it. The trigger was poor and didn't have the advertised velocity and power. There is an NP2 model out now but don't know about it. I sent it back and got a Hatsan 125 sniper. It is closer to $300. If you are interested I can tell you more about it.

I have researched the Hatsan and it seems to be good rifle.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    The best options I know of is to check out the ones at Walmart or Academy. Depending on what you want, some are not to bad.
    But if you want a better quality airgun, Paramid Air online is probably your best bet.

from an idgit coffeeholic

I have been looking at them at both Wal-Mart and academy, and will likely pick up one of the lesser expensive ones there. Was looking to see If anyone would recommend one over another. I have read lots of reviews on multiple ones on airgundepot and pyramidair. All of them seem to be about equal when it comes to these sub 200 dollar rifles. I guess I'll just pick one I like and go with it. I believe Wal-Mart has a good return policy if I get one I don't like.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Also, I have a vortex or gas spring(nitrogen?) rifle. Some rifles come available as coil springs or gas springs. Find out which one you would prefer and that will narrow down your search.

DeBug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Dallas
    I picked up a Remington 22 Express from Walmart a few months back. They had dropped the price from $109.99 to $39.99 and I could not resist getting a .22 springer for that cheap. They are not very accurate and I have tried several different pellet shapes and settled on dome shaped pellets to achieve the least ugly groupings. It's a springer so getting the artillery hold just right is key to keeping the groups together. But no matter what I tried, I always had a flyer or two and would not try to do any varmint hunting past 25 yards.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here

Trey, the Trail NP ^^ is actually what I would recommend. Remarkably quiet for the FPE it generates. The trigger can be easily and cheaply upgraded (http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/parts/gtx-gen-ii-trigger/).

After understanding how to properly do the "artillery hold," my Trail NP was very accurate and consistent.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Thanks for your input everyone. I plan to pick one up this Friday. I have experience with these springers a little. Its been years since I had my old RWS. I do remember they like to recoil a bit. I do want open sights though. Most of the ones I keep seeing are set up for optics and from my experience never really held zero well. I'm probably going to go over my budget. I want something nice.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    My buddy bought a Benjamin .22 w/scope and muzzle brake but he says it's not very accurate and the pellets bounce off the cardboard target!

Return it to Academy? Then buy what?

MCTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    I picked up a Remington 22 Express from Walmart a few months back. They had dropped the price from $109.99 to $39.99 and I could not resist getting a .22 springer for that cheap. They are not very accurate and I have tried several different pellet shapes and settled on dome shaped pellets to achieve the least ugly groupings. It's a springer so getting the artillery hold just right is key to keeping the groups together. But no matter what I tried, I always had a flyer or two and would not try to do any varmint hunting past 25 yards.
    huh, that's strange. I also picked one of those remington springers up and it is dead nuts accurate. I use crosman premier heavy .22 .

tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    If i was going to spend a couple hundred buck on an air rifle it would likely be a Dianna springer , my buddy Tom Gaylord showed me how good the quality was a few years ago , i got a cheapo 177 i plink with before deer season every year to practice my breathing an trigger control shooting off hand

tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    Man i watched a video on you tube , it was a guy shooting full auto BB guns ,i sure would like to have one of the german smesser full auto bb guns . or even the beretta pistol full auto fires 18 shots like a zipper , they can sure be fun i am sure,, looked that way to me ,t

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also are airguns not popular anymore? Only one post in this forum.

They are one of life's little pleasures.
    This board has a few fans.

I still have the original Benjamin Pump 132 my dad gave me when I was 11.
    .177 smooth bore designed for lead .175 BBs
    A proudest day of my life to take possession.

I have a couple of powerful spring piston air guns.
    I have a couple of Feinwerkbau side cockers that are silly-accurate.
    I have a couple of CO2 plinkers.
    I have a .50 air shotgun that uses 28ga shot cups and charges with an old fire extinguisher. Have yet to hit a dove with it if you don't count an invasive ringneck they made the mistake of getting into my chicken coop.

A buddy has a $2,000 .357 air rifle he charges with a scuba tank that I'm lusting over.

Air guns are one of life's little pleasures.
    So many projectiles, so little time.

Back to the OP......the pellet bounces off cardboard?
    Obviously defective.

My advice: Spend as much on an air rifle as you would on a deer rifle.
    You will never regret it.

Last edited:

tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    Yea I know i been drooling over the Air force Texan 45 since i shot the prototype of it like 3 yrs ago ,Frotunantly i have a good friend who lets me shoot one ever so often , Tom Does alot of promotional stuff for air force , in the back ground of air guns though it is a interesting world there , t

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I have a .22 RWS thats about twenty years old.
    Its a Model 34 or 36.
    Can't remember.
    It needs new seals but I have no idea where to send it to get rebuilt?
    Talked to one out of state shop and they told me parts aren't made any more.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have a .22 RWS thats about twenty years old.
    Its a Model 34 or 36.
    Can't remember.
    It needs new seals but I have no idea where to send it to get rebuilt?
    Talked to one out of state shop and they told me parts aren't made any more.

Me too. I have a Beeman RX in .20 that needs service, just never at the top of the list for things to do unfortunately. Maybe this thread will change that.

Top Bottom