20ga 2 3/4" shotgun shells not all the same length??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I found out today not all 20ga 2 3/4 are the same length. A new one for me, not that I am any type of shotgun expert. I would have thought for sure the shells would be at least 2 3/4" when measured. Not even close.... the Rio buck shot is 2 1/2" & the Brenneke slugs are 2 1/8". So if you have a shotgun that is supposed to hold 5+1 & you can't get the 5th round in the tube fully, check the length of the shells.

The shotgun i had issues with is a Mossberg Shockwave 20ga. With the Rio buckshot the 5th round would hangout of the tube with about 1/2 the brass showing.

20220525_145004.jpg
    20220525_144956.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I believe the length of the shell is the length after it is fired and not while it is crimped. Slugs are usually roll crimped and I don't know what they work out to be after firing.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I believe the length of the shell is the length after it is fired and not while it is crimped. Slugs are usually roll crimped and I don't know what they work out to be after firing.
    Yes and the type of crimp effects how long they are before they are fired. Roll crimp makes them longer.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Like a bag of chips or canister of coffee

Ok, but what about the main issue of the gun that is advertised to hold "5+1 2 3/4 shells"?

Just odd that the Rio's wouldn't fit & being advertised as 2 3/4". It really sux to buy ammo you can't return.

Top Bottom