• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Guys (and gals) I did it... I got to my goal weight, now im working on my body fat percentage. I'd love to be 15% but my goal is < 17%

ignore weight lost. I started at 154.6 in August. But the app lost my weight logs from Augsut until this week I've actually lost 16 pounds.

1678391539434.png
    Texas SOT

TheCanadianOne

Before anything.....Coffee first!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Houston
    What are everyones' 2023 goals related to health and fitness?

Every year I try to pick one thing that I want to accomplish in the coming year, and then start a few weeks before the Christmas holidays so it's a bit easier to get the habit going come Jan 1.

This year I really focused on bodyweight exercises and stretching (can finally put my palms on the ground!), but didn't put nearly as much effort into heavyweight exercises. In 2023, I plan on focusing on progressive overload and lifting heavy.

To start off the year I'm going to establish a true one rep max and a three rep max on bench/deadlift/squat and maybe overhead press. My goal for 2023 is to increase each number by 25% by October.
    Maintaining a healthy weight and outlook. Been at it for a couple years now and although enjoy a cheat meal from time to time, thankfully it doesn't have an overall negative effect with the work I've been putting in.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Since 2023 is almost over, I've given up on those goals and plan to lubricate my joints with plenty of Miller Lite until next year gets here, then I'll take another look.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Climbed back on the weight loss wagon. Early this year I started off doing great - when I went to work at a hospital doing security and walking a shit-ton, I shed a full pant size in a month. I was walking between 6 and 12 miles / night, all inside the facility.

Got promoted into a position that had me driving most of the time. Started packing some pounds on again, had to start watching what I ate.

Left the hospital (well, mostly, still technically employed but severly part time there now) to focus on working for my kid's school, and my own schooling. Mostly sitting and watching cameras, some walking patrols of the property. Less active overall than even the driving patrols at the hospital, because unlike the hospital, I don't have calls to respond to at the school (which is a good thing, really.) What has gotten me in trouble has been snacking at home, after work.

One of the classes I just wrapped up for college dealt a lot with goal setting, strategies, planning and organizing and it required us to set personal goals for short, medium, and long term. I'm using some of the objectives that build to my long term goal to reaffirm my need to lose weight, feel great, and get fitter.

Last week I started fastideously tracking my caloric intake, logging all the food and drink I intake into My Fitness Pal, along with all my activity. I have daily objectives for caloric intake, activity, and hydration.

My short term goal is to build habits of consistent caloric logging, activity logging, and maintain caloric restrictions and activity level.

My mid term goal - that is by March of 2024 - is to have dropped 30 pounds or 2 inches from my waist. Sticking to the caloric restriction and activity objectives, this is doable without leaving me feeling starving. To that end, my daily caloric max intake is 2100 net calories, a daily activity objective of 700 calories burned through exercise / activity, with a hydration goal of 3 liters / day. A longer mid term goal is to lose 80 lbs by August of 2024 through maintaining these activity levels and caloric restrictions.

My long term goals - To dead lift 350lbs. To bench press 200 lbs, and to leg press 400 lbs. Run 1.5 miles in 13 minutes (8 minutes and 40 seconds per mile) and to perform 30 proper push ups in 60 seconds, and 30 proper sit ups in 60 seconds and to be able to be able to do 10 pull ups in 60 seconds. I want to accomplish all of these by August of 2029 - the objectives build upon earlier objectives and goals.

My son will be out of high school in 2029, and if my educational goals are consistent, I will also have an MBA by then (working on the Bachelors now) and I may be looking at applying with the sheriff's office that a friend of mine works for at that point in time, and some of those goals are part of that SO's PT test requirements. When he made the decision to apply there, he doubled down on his own weight loss and fitness plan. He was my size when he moved to Idaho - 6'4" and his heaviest was IIRC 330lbs. My heaviest has been 315, and I'm 280 now. Through caloric restriction and exercise, he's down to 240 lbs, and like me he was not a runner so he had to really bust ass to make that mile & half run time.

The exercise I've been doing is good for helping manage stress. My biggest struggle is eating properly.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. With that in mind I've taken some serious steps. Gave up Dr Peppers almost entirely - went from drinking 1 or 2 a day to 1 a week or less. I drink a lot of unsweetened tea now. I never did have much of a sweet tooth, so there's not much along those lines to cut. Been reducing my portion size, since that's about all I can do about my (crappy, but what I can afford) diet. Trying to eat less bread, pasta and potatoes - that's not easy. And I've been working out in the mornings with a punching dummy. Fifteen minutes of full-on wailing with my fists is a pretty good cardio workout.

In the past 2 months, I've dropped almost 15 pounds. Not seeing a lot as far as visible results around my equator, but it's a promising start.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not seeing a lot as far as visible results around my equator, but it's a promising start.
    IME, losing weight is like packing to move house. You do 90% of the work and don't see any difference. Then, rather suddenly, you realize "Whoa, when did all that get done?"

My weight loss has always proceeded from plateau to plateau. But when you can (Finally!) see that things have changed, the work becomes just a memory that fades quickly.

I am incredibly envious of people who see quantifiable, steady results from the onset of their efforts. I know those people exist but, clearly, they are a different species from me.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    IME, losing weight is like packing to move house. You do 90% of the work and don't see any difference. Then, rather suddenly, you realize "Whoa, when did all that get done?"

My weight loss has always proceeded from plateau to plateau. But when you can (Finally!) see that things have changed, the work becomes just a memory that fades quickly.

I am incredibly envious of people who see quantifiable, steady results from the onset of their efforts. I know those people exist but, clearly, they are a different species from me.

For me it's mostly a matter of knowing I'm not putting as much crap into myself, and enjoying the workouts. Results will happen.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Portion size helps, eating less of what you like. I like chocolate chip cookies, wife buys a package and I limit myself to 3 cookies per day.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 23-35-27 Free Calorie Counter Diet & Exercise Journal MyFitnessPal.png

My net calories consumed for the last twelve days. Have some days that went above the goal, a couple really went above the goal but 8/12 days I'm well under the goal. Have not yet stepped on a scale, because only 12 days in the weight loss will be minimal, and I'm as much worried at this stage about losing inches, rather than pounds. My pants are fitting a *little* better than they were before I started tracking my calories again. Would love to drop a pant size again like I did back in February. One nice thing about the weight I lost earlier this year - when it crept back, it didn't creep back up top. For the first time in a long time, a 1X shirt fits me plenty comfortably, I went from 2X work shirts to 1X, and that includes wearing 3a body armor underneath. Without the armor I've got a good bit of room in a 1X shirt. For concealing a pistol I still prefer a 2X, but soon enough that'll be easy under the 1X, and maybe *gasp* I could even try a large long by next summer. At least until weight lifting causes chest gains again, or like @Sam7sf, I find a sugar daddy that buys me some shiny bolt on bewbs. :roflfunny: No one wants an ugly sugar baby though, so probably just gonna plan on making man muscles from picking up heavy stuff.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Starting in January, my endo is going to be measuring my body fat and helping me track progress that way.

The "2024 Fitness Goals" thread is going to be interesting for me.

ETA - My primary care wanted a height measurement today. I've shrunk some more. I'm down to 5' 9.5". That means I've lost a full three inches of height from my youth.

Growing old sucks.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Starting in January, my endo is going to be measuring my body fat and helping me track progress that way.

The "2024 Fitness Goals" thread is going to be interesting for me.

ETA - My primary care wanted a height measurement today. I've shrunk some more. I'm down to 5' 9.5". That means I've lost a full three inches of height from my youth.

Growing old sucks.

Scoliosis, or have your discs compressed down that much?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Scoliosis, or have your discs compressed down that much?
    Disc compression. In the last MRI of my spine, the discs don't look like discs. They look like hairline cracks between the vertebrae.

I accept that I did it to myself by carrying way too much weight for way too long. Now I'm just trying to play enough catch-up to delay the near-complete immobility that inevitably lies in my future.

Anybody with successful experience with exercises/stretches that place the spine in traction will find an attentive listener in me. I know and regularly use several, already, but I'm always open to more.

I note that every physical therapist on youtube has done a dozen videos on the subject. I think I know most of the basics. I'm really only interested in things people have actually done and found to be useful.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Anybody with successful experience with exercises/stretches that place the spine in traction will find an attentive listener in me. I know and regularly use several, already, but I'm always open to more….
    Our human performance guy swore by pilates machines and supervision by a PT for core issues like that.

The average pilates ‘coach’ doesn’t have the physiology background for targeted use cases though.

Top Bottom