• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Automatic transmission is for golf carts in retirement communities.;)

AccomplishedTepidConch-size_restricted.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    People whine when drag racers put a solid rear axle in Corvettes but the 53-62 cars were solid axle from the factory.

The 53-54 cars ONLY had a six cylinder and a Powerglide. For those whining about the DCT should Chevrolet build the 2020 with a straight six and 2-speed auto?

Wonder if people complained when the 3-speed then the 4-speed manuals were made optional or when the 265 V8 came out? Were people saying "Corvettes only have automatics, we don't want to shift ourselves."...?

Should Chevrolet stunt the future performance of the platform to "make it" a Corvette?

To be a traditional Corvette it needs:
    • Carburetors
    • Straight six
    • No AC
    • Only offered in white exterior
    • Only offered with red interior
    • Solid rear axle
    • Drum brakes
    • AM-only radio
    • Only make 200 for sale
    Who would buy that for $35,500 (2019 equivalent)?

Chevrolet is doing what they've done since 1955 with the Corvette...make it better than the last one and better than everyone else. Fo** had to completely change the market target of the Thunderbird because of the Corvette. Don't even mention the GT unless you'd like to show me where Fo** made it continuously from 1966 until 2020. Oh and please wait until the really big boy version of the Corvette comes out we can see what a $150,000 Vette does compared to a half million dollar Fo**.

Kind of a pointless post.

No one expects a Vette today to be identical to the first. But certain major characteristics have always defined the Vette. Front engine being one of them.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The new car looks pretty good. But I am not so sure they should not have just changed the name.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Nice price for what you get.

This to me, since the C5, and especially the C5 z06 has been the defining characteristic of modern Vettes. I was in the porsche club, at a track day in 2003 when one of the guys showed up with an 02 zo6. He slayed pretty much everyone out there that day without breaking a sweat.

Since about that time, vettes have been amazingly effective at delivering supercar performance at basically affordable (used, at least) prices.

Yes, F cars and some p cars will get more oohs and aahs at gas stations -sometimes- than vettes, but pay someone to replace the timing chain in in an LSx vs the timing belt in a 355, or to rebuild an air cooled porsche motor, and you can, literally, purchase a beater C5 with the savings. Do either of those yourself in a day or less on the LSx vs 1/2 of an entire normal vacation on the other 2.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    This to me, since the C5, and especially the C5 z06 has been the defining characteristic of modern Vettes. I was in the porsche club, at a track day in 2003 when one of the guys showed up with an 02 zo6. He slayed pretty much everyone out there that day without breaking a sweat.

Are you on "rennlist"?

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    My first sports car was a BMX Z3, fun to drive, but it had a manu-matic shift, pretty much just and automatic (was ignorant of sports cars and I got a good deal). I had a hard time selling it because nobody wanted a sports car with an automatic, finally sold it to a womn. Learned my lesson.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Are you on "rennlist"?

Used to be. Sold my last p car in 2012 and haven't looked back. Likewise, haven't felt the need to cruise rennlist or pelican. Absolutely do NOT miss random $5k repair bills for a car that saw less than 1000 miles a year. Stuff that pretty much does not happen on most cars.

Of the Vettes I've owned, not once did I ever have those kinds of random, unexplained repairs.

I'll never own another modern german car (modern being post approx 1995-ish) without a warranty. Still open to another 70s/80s 911 or 5 series, though. 99% analogue and parts are ubiquitous.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I think they would have a winner in design if they put circle tail lights back on. My favorite thing about Vettes are those big bootys.
    20180928_111201.jpg

Attachments

• 20180928_111201.jpg
      20180928_111201.jpg
      339.6 KB · Views: 464
    Last edited:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central

Since about that time, vettes have been amazingly effective at delivering supercar performance at basically affordable (used, at least) prices.

Yes, F cars and some p cars will get more oohs and aahs at gas stations -sometimes- than vettes, but pay someone to replace the timing chain in in an LSx vs the timing belt in a 355, or to rebuild an air cooled porsche motor, and you can, literally, purchase a beater C5 with the savings. Do either of those yourself in a day or less on the LSx vs 1/2 of an entire normal vacation on the other 2.
    Completely agree. I wish I had bought a zo6, but my coupe above was to cheap not to buy. It definitely afforded me some upgrade options. It is still a beater comparatively to most Vettes out there, but for under 10k there is no other comparison out there.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom