Join TexasGunTalk

2020 Vette

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by oldag, Jul 19, 2019.

1. IXLR8

IXLR8 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    A manual transmission has its place in tracking a car. I would like to try a DCT to see the difference.
    I watched a blonde back out very nice Ferrari convertible with a DCT, and I thought she was going to light the clutch on fire. It takes a little understanding on how a DCT works, vs treating it like an everyday automatic transmission.

2. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Well duh!
    You’re comparing a $60k Vette to a $450k Multimatic racing car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldag and ZX9RCAM like this.
  3. Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove Active Member TGT Supporter

Sep 25, 2018
    Texas
    $$$$ aside the Ford is a better looking car.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  4. IXLR8

IXLR8 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The new Ford GT is not worth owning. The 2004, 2005 is the one to own. You need 8 cylinders minimum.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    toddnjoyce likes this.
  5. orbitup

orbitup Sticker Cop TGT Supporter

Nov 6, 2010
    RIGHT BEHIND YOU!
    I think they should have named it something else. A mid-engine Corvette?

Maybe Corvair?

sucker76, EZ-E and BRD@66 like this.
  6. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Zora-Arkus Duntov wanted a mid-engine Corvette all the way back in 1957.

While there have been many mid-engine mules and showcars over the years, I see the C8 as his dream finally coming true

d196117feec605210136d0e92b0e8352.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rsc likes this.
  7. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Hey leave Michelle Obama's mustache out of this.

8. Army 1911

Army 1911 TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Corvairs were rear engined. But the last years of them had vette rear half axles.

9. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I spend a lot of time contemplating cars. I haven't seen it in person, but from the 100s of pics I've blown up and mentally masturbated over, I think the 2020 vette may end up being sexier than the vast majority of supercars costing several multiples of it's price. Of course, the vette has been a supercar for over a decade.

For sure, the pics of the targa version look like it's going to be the first targa -ever- to look like an integrated design - to me. The last one that looked almost integrated was the 328, but even it's amazing proportions always seemed incomplete or hasty.

Ferrari and Lambo have basically nixed the 3rd pedal... no room or 'logic' to having one in a modern super car, even if our souls scream for one, the reality that NO ONE can shift as fast or smoothly as a modern dct, and they're is impossible to fight on a track.

I've owned several vettes in the past. The last was a 2014 white auto. Love them. Hopefully, fortune and diligence will have one of these beauties in the garage at some point... I don't buy myself new vehicles, so it will be a while, at the soonest, lol. But I know there will be at least one acquaintance who will have one pretty quick, and I can't wait to see and drive it in person.

10. GasGuzzler

GasGuzzler New Member

May 19, 2018
    Gainesville
    People whine when drag racers put a solid rear axle in Corvettes but the 53-62 cars were solid axle from the factory.

The 53-54 cars ONLY had a six cylinder and a Powerglide. For those whining about the DCT should Chevrolet build the 2020 with a straight six and 2-speed auto?

Wonder if people complained when the 3-speed then the 4-speed manuals were made optional or when the 265 V8 came out? Were people saying "Corvettes only have automatics, we don't want to shift ourselves."...?

Should Chevrolet stunt the future performance of the platform to "make it" a Corvette?

To be a traditional Corvette it needs:
    • Carburetors
    • Straight six
    • No AC
    • Only offered in white exterior
    • Only offered with red interior
    • Solid rear axle
    • Drum brakes
    • AM-only radio
    • Only make 200 for sale
    Who would buy that for $35,500 (2019 equivalent)?

Chevrolet is doing what they've done since 1955 with the Corvette...make it better than the last one and better than everyone else. Fo** had to completely change the market target of the Thunderbird because of the Corvette. Don't even mention the GT unless you'd like to show me where Fo** made it continuously from 1966 until 2020. Oh and please wait until the really big boy version of the Corvette comes out we can see what a $150,000 Vette does compared to a half million dollar Fo**.

Brains, Sam7sf and rmantoo like this.