• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m being optimistic and April 4th is really right around the corner. For those who haven't been in a while, we're using Texas Star Shooting Range. I've been in contact with Anthony (manager) and they're looking forward to our Reunion. I can't thank them enough for how much they've opened this range up for us.

The classroom is unavailable; do not go there.

This thread is about the rules and for general chatter.

Texas Star Shooting Range
    860 Co Rd 3384, Kempner, TX 76539
    http://www.texasstarshootingrange.com/
    Location via Google

Directions from Copperas Cove:

⦁ Take 190 to East Ave D (Turn right at the McDonalds/CVS)
    ⦁ Follow East Ave D to North 1st Street and take a right at the Ace Hardware, crossing the railroad tracks
    ⦁ Go to the first light and take a left at the Dairy Queen on to West Ave B
    ⦁ Follow West Ave B about 7 min (4.3 mi)
    ⦁ Veer left on Oak Springs Road (there should be a white sign with a yellow star and TSSR on the star) (Watch your speed, stay in your lane. It gets very tight and there's a lot of drivers who fly around the blind corners)
    ⦁ Follow Oak Springs Road, following the TSSR signs at each intersection
    ⦁ Turn on Joes Way, again following the TSSR sign / Joes way will eventually come to a fork in the road. The fastest way is to veer to the right, but the road just loops around to itself, so you can't really mess it up. Joes Way will lead you right to the range - can't miss it.
    This trip is Honda Civic friendly. Motorcycles not recommended due to loose gravel on one small section.

--------------------

RULES - This is a lot of info and is readily available here .
    SAFETY FIRST!
    Below are some of their basic range rules:
    ⦁ Treat all weapons as if they are loaded at all times
    ⦁ Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire
    ⦁ Always be aware of what is around, behind, and beyond your target
    ⦁ Every shooter and guest has a duty to report rule violations and unsafe acts.
    ⦁ Eye and Ear Protection will be worn by all shooters and spectators in the immediate vicinity of the line of fire at all times.
    ⦁ Our range officers have complete authority over both shooters and guests. Failure to obey a range officer is grounds for immediate removal and revocation of membership.
    ⦁ DO NOT handle guns when there is a a 'cease fire' or when shooters are down range. No loaded firearms permitted except on the firing line, for individuals without a license to carry.
    ⦁ Rapid fire is allowed but only on proper bays and in a controlled manner.
    ⦁ NO DRUGS OR ALCOHOL of ANY TYPE is permitted on this property - Moonpie, don't bring the Vodak!
    ⦁ Minors (under 18) may shoot but only under the direct supervision of their guardian.
    ⦁ Anyone causing damage to range equipment or facilities WILL BE personally and monetarily liable for damages. (pricing of steal targets ranges from $100 to $2,000)
    The use of incendiaries, armor piercing (including 5.56 green tips) and/or tracer ammunition is strictly prohibited.
    ⦁ The range is not responsible for personal property or equipment left unsupervised.
    ⦁ Steel targets WILL NOT be engaged any closer than 15 yards.
    ⦁ Shooters are allowed to pick up only the brass they used, and are required to clean up their own targets
    Below are the rules broken down for each bay:

-SHOTGUN BAY-
    ⦁ -NO buck shot of any kind
    ⦁ -NO slugs of any kind
    ⦁ -Shooters may use their own clay on the provided stands ONLY--YOU CAN NOT THROW THE CLAY if you would like to shoot flying clay please use the trap house.
    ⦁ -#7, #7.5, #8, #8.5, #9 shot only
    ⦁ -Fire from firing line only
    ⦁ -No angle fire
    ⦁ -No pistols (shotgun pistols are ok)
    ⦁ -No firing from the safe tables

-PISTOL STEEL BAY-
    ⦁ -No magnums, No rifle rounds, No .22 (new) unless you bring your own steel and get approval from the RSO
    ⦁ -No rifle rounds
    ⦁ -45 caliber and below is allowed
    ⦁ -No shotguns of any type
    ⦁ -No pistol caliber carbines
    ⦁ -No AR or AK pistol
    ⦁ -No rifles in pistol configurations
    ⦁ -No angle fire
    ⦁ -No shooting from the tables

-LTC/PAPER PISTOL BAY-
    ⦁ -No AR or AK pistols
    ⦁ -No pistol caliber carbines
    ⦁ -No shotgun
    ⦁ -Must shoot from the firing line, fire from the SAME LINE as other shooters, and down range MUST BE CLEAR
    ⦁ -No shooting from the tables
    ⦁ -No pistol caliber carbines of any types
    ⦁ -No shooting from the safe tables

-TACTICAL BAY-
    ⦁ -.223/5.56 (no green tips), 7.62x39, .300 blackout and below is allowed on steel
    ⦁ -You must shoot with a baffle 10yd in front of you and between the uprights (yellow legs)
    ⦁ -Pistol is allowed
    ⦁ -Rifle is allowed
    ⦁ -Transition fire is allowed as long as it is done in a safe manner
    ⦁ -No shotgun of any type
    ⦁ -Rapid fire is allowed in a controlled manner. If you are not keeping the rapid fire in the general area of the target with no skips off the ground or climbing of the back wall then MOVE CLOSER to the targets
    ⦁ -No shooting of the baffle legs
    ⦁ -No shooting the baffles
    ⦁ -YOU MUST SHOOT BETWEEN THE YELLOW LEGS OF THE BAFFLES
    ⦁ -No shooting the barricades
    ⦁ -You can shoot the steel with rifle but ONLY from the 60yd line no closer
    ⦁ -You can shoot the steel with pistol but ONLY from the 60yd, 20yd, 15yd lines
    ⦁ -No angle fire except at the 20yd and 15yd lines
    ⦁ -The bay is broken down into 3 lanes stay in your lane and DO NOT CROSS-FIRE
    ⦁ -You are allowed to move and fire but you CAN NOT move forward while another shooter stays back and provides cover fire ALL SHOOTERS MUST BE ON THE SAME LINE TO FIRE
    ⦁ -You CAN NOT shoot from the center of the bay between 60yds and 20yds

-25YD ZERO BAY-
    ⦁ -No pistol
    ⦁ -Nothing above .300 win mag; No .338, .408,.416, and .50
    ⦁ -No shotgun (with the exception to a rifled shotgun with front and rear sights or optics of some type. RSO MUST CHECK TO ENSURE IT MEETS STANDARD)
    ⦁ -No rapid fire
    ⦁ -No prone
    ⦁ -No cross-firing
    ⦁ -Shoot from firing line and tables only

-100yd rifle bay-
    ⦁ -No pistol
    ⦁ -Nothing above .300 win mag; No .338, .408,.416, and .50
    ⦁ -No shotgun (with the exception to a rifled shotgun with front and rear sights or optics of some type. RSO MUST CHECK TO ENSURE IT MEETS STANDARD)
    ⦁ -No rapid fire
    ⦁ -No prone
    ⦁ -No cross-firing
    ⦁ -Shoot from firing line and tables only

-SHOTGUN TRAP-
    ⦁ -Fire from trap firing point only
    ⦁ -NO buck shot of any kind
    ⦁ -NO slugs of any kind
    ⦁ -#7, #7.5, #8, #8.5, #9 shot only
    ⦁ -No steel shot
    ⦁ -No firing from the tables
    ⦁ -DO NOT GO INTO THE TRAP HOUSE
    ⦁ -Do not throw by hand any clay

-ARCHERY-
    ⦁ -No BROAD HEADS OF ANY TYPE
    ⦁ -FIELD TIPS ONLY
    ⦁ -Only move down range after the line is clear
    ⦁ -Only fire after the range is clear

Amenities:
    - There is an area for people to camp. Call ahead to verify.

- Pizza is not normally delivered to this range.

- The berm is at NRA standards. It's wide/strong enough to drive a bulldozer on top of and it's 20 ft tall. You'll notice the dirt behind the targets is different from the main berm itself. The dirt behind the targets is rock free to help prevent ricochets. Also, they are constantly maintaining the berm so we should have zero issues with it.

- TSSR is insured and has a document stating so at the front desk.

- TSSR has a general first aid kit on-site as well as a bullet wound kit. On top of that, the owner and manager are both formally trained in treating bullet wounds. As an absolute worst case scenario, there is an area designated for a medical airlift and the range has a number directly for the local airlift.

- They have two restrooms.

- There is an archery area so feel free to bring out your crossbows.

- The skeet area uses a variable range thrower. You won't know where the clay is going until it's already out. Think you're good?? Step on up!

- Class III is allowed, within the constraints above - bring your paperwork, have it with you. LEOs do frequent this range.

- The range accepts cash or plastic. There are snacks, ammo, targets, and holsters for sale in the main lobby.

- Pot luck lunch and more!

Cost for all this goodness: $10 - TGT Discount. Normal fee is $15. Please let the front desk know you're with TGT to receive discount.

If you have questions pertaining to rules, or how to get there then go ahead and send it. If you're coming, please let me know in the Attendance thread, along with any others you plan on hauling in. The more people, the better!
    Military Camp

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    So, anyone bring any FA toys? If, so maybe you I can bring some ammo to feed one.

Anyone have any requests from anyone?

I’ll have a 9mm AR pistol with me. Not sure what else. With my Marine buddy not able to attend I’m not sure what I’ll end up hauling with me.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So, anyone bring any FA toys? If, so maybe you I can bring some ammo to feed one.

Anyone have any requests from anyone?

I’ll have a 9mm AR pistol with me. Not sure what else. With my Marine buddy not able to attend I’m not sure what I’ll end up hauling with me.

I might want some time behind that 9mm AR; I can bring the manbun rifle, and my WC goes everywhere I go.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Still on for now.

3f7cf5aceefe451d89ae665c7c54735e.jpg

Attachments

• 3f7cf5aceefe451d89ae665c7c54735e.jpg
      3f7cf5aceefe451d89ae665c7c54735e.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 515

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I talked to them today. It is subject a SIP order from Lampasses county. Apparently they are supposed to have more in the next couple days.
    There was supposed to be a meeting after they closed tonight to discuss things. She said if they closed, they would let the forum contact know. I originally called for my son and his friend. They wanted to go tomorrow.
    Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I talked to them today. It is subject a SIP order from Lampasses county. Apparently they are supposed to have more in the next couple days.
    There was supposed to be a meeting after they closed tonight to discuss things. She said if they closed, they would let the forum contact know. I originally called for my son and his friend. They wanted to go tomorrow.
    The rifle range is still down fyi.

Not sure if it will be back up by the Meet.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Thank you for the information.

Top Bottom