Military Camp

2020 Silverado cup holder ..what the heck ??.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    With the push button start systems this should also allow you to start the vehicle if the key fob battery is dead.

That's what I read anyways.

My new Lariat uses a key which I am perfectly okay with.
    This is the truth. As the trend to keyless go marches forward, they use an inductive coil to communicate with the key for coding and in the event of battery death.

On the cars I work with (mercedes) the keys use a 315mhz radio signal and the inductive coil when needed. We use to also use infrared also but that went the way of the dodo bird.

There is actually a bunch of science that goes on inside. Originally in the keys with the IR sensor we used 2 cr2023 batteries. They would last years. As we crammed in the keyless feature they moved to 1 cr2023 to save space using the same exterior dimensions. Battery life in the key was only a couple years. Now, all keys are keyless (actually after about 2015 or so). In the newest keys we use a cr2032 and they are only good for a year or two at the most. These keys have the ability to go to sleep and not transmit after a time of no movement. They actually trigger and store a diagnostic scan in the key on every start. (We don't do anything with that stateside).

As to the government listening, rest easy knowing that this is happening. I am currently working on a new car with the fancy voice activation. The problem is that you give it the wakeup comand and it just turns off. Step one is like 4 hours of software updates on the audio systems. Step two is confirming all the microphones are working and the switches function. Step 3 is to dig into how it actually works, or doesn't in this case. When reading through the doccuments it says that the car monitors "all" speech, transmits it to the "high performance AI servers" in Germany. It parces the audio to detect if actionable commands are present.

No this system is really cool. You basically have voice control in like 7 languages over most user selectable vehicle functions from all multimedia, heat / ac, ambiance lighting etc...

The tinfoil paranoid guy I am will never be convinced that they are not recording, archiving, cataloging and listening to everything everywhere.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Disabling it through the menu only works until you turn the vehicle off. Rinse and repeat.

That's my understanding anyways.

Permanently disabling it take programming or tuning.
    My nephew invented and owns
    Auto Stop Eliminator
    He sent me one for my truck
    This is what I installed last night
    Its a short jumper wire harness you install inline behind the switch panel.
    It disables Auto Stop when you start up your vehicle so you never have to mess with it again.
    It took me 20 minutes to install
    I love not having to push that stupid button each time

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    In the Porsche community, the Auto Start Stop feature is known as ASS. Up until 2016, if you pushed the button to disable ASS, it would stay off. Starting the '17 model year, it only lasted until you turned the car off, and then it resets itself to on. There are little electronic circuits that you can install that will virtually "push the button" for you every time you start the car.

It's only $229 too! The joys of owning a Porsche. http://t-design9.com/memory_module_porsche.html

I know this post is useless in the context of the thread, sorry about that... just over here padding my post count. My '16 Tahoe doesn't seem to have ASS and I don't have any other cars that do this silly thing.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    In the Porsche community, the Auto Start Stop feature is known as ASS. Up until 2016, if you pushed the button to disable ASS, it would stay off. Starting the '17 model year, it only lasted until you turned the car off, and then it resets itself to on. There are little electronic circuits that you can install that will virtually "push the button" for you every time you start the car.

It's only $229 too! The joys of owning a Porsche. http://t-design9.com/memory_module_porsche.html

I know this post is useless in the context of the thread, sorry about that... just over here padding my post count. My '16 Tahoe doesn't seem to have ASS and I don't have any other cars that do this silly thing.
    Man don't worry...75% of replies in various topic threads are the same here! LOL

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    My Edge has the auto stop/start and there’s a button to push on the console if I ever want it disabled.

I like it though and think it’s a pretty slick feature. I guess we will see if the starter lasts like a normal one. :)

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Pretty sure you can disable the auto stop/start for red lights on all of them. Just a matter of going through the menus on the dash.

Pretty sure my mom said her new F-150 does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well FORD started it and 10 spd auto in F150s in 18. My 5.0 STX is a 17 so 6 spd and NO auto stop/start.
    1 Reason I bought a 17.

And those gadgets dont work on all vehicles. Some only certain fobs etc. My sisters 18 expedition is one that it doesnt at least the one she tried. Wrong key fob.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    My Edge has the auto stop/start and there’s a button to push on the console if I ever want it disabled.

I like it though and think it’s a pretty slick feature. I guess we will see if the starter lasts like a normal one. :)
    Starter and battery

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Pretty sure you can disable the auto stop/start for red lights on all of them. Just a matter of going through the menus on the dash.

Pretty sure my mom said her new F-150 does it.

yes... you can but YOU HAVE TO DO IT EVERY TIME YOU START THE ENGINE!!!!! I bough a programmer that plugs into the OBDII port. Reprograms to disable the auto stop "feature" w/o illuminating light on dash and holds the setting until the programming module is re-inserted into the OBDII port.

tangoparson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2017

I used to own a Mercedes.

I called it “Germany’s revenge for that unpleasantness in ‘45”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Then it's right up your alley!