• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    We had to delay our annual hog hunt this year due to coronavirus. Usually we are down in Texas during April while the weather is still cool and the humidity is lower... the humidity in East Texas this time of year is an experience for a non-Texan.

So we stopped in Dallas for a day or two before the hunt, and I ate myself sick at Hard Eight. Dallas smells and the freeway system is awful. Deep Ellum is all boarded up. I dont think I like Dallas anymore.

First day of hunting, the Mrs. failed to check for the flame on her Thermacell and got eaten alive by the mosquitoes. Heard lots of hogs nearby but didnt see any. Next morning, we set out on a stalk. I took my 500 S&W lever gun and pistol, she took her 45-70. Managed to creep up on some hogs sleeping in a wash, she took a shot at about 30 feet. The hogs all scattered and we didnt see any blood trail, so we assumed she missed but we found the hog about 200 yards away with holes in both lungs.
    FB_IMG_1600324299228.jpg

We circled around and found more hogs sleeping in another wash. I was able to get about 20 feet from one and fired at it with the wheelgun. Well, one hog turned into two and both scrambled out of the wash and ran straight at me. Filled my drawers, pulled the hammer back and used the Force to point and shoot. Perfect neck shot on the bigger one, he immediately seized up and fell over. The smaller one turned and ran for parts unknown.

FB_IMG_1600324291692.jpg

End result: 215 pounds for me, 230 for her
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200914121020407_COVER.jpg

That evening, I sat out with my 7-08 AR10 and went on piglet patrol. Enjoyed the quiet, got a couple of piglet Quigleys.

Next morning, we set tne Mrs. out in a blind with her 6.5CM as she wanted to get a particular hog, so the owner and I were going to drive them to her. I have my lever gun again and I normally load only two rounds in it as I dont fully trust the crimp on my handloads yet. The owner says there's a mean hog arlund, so Ioad one more just in case.

We're walking around and after 10 minutes, I hear a pair of shots. I'm thinking to myself "good, I told her to keep shooting if she has the chance until it's dead". Back at the blind, I pick up a real good blood trail. Chunks of lung and blood everywhere, it went about 50 yards and lay down next to a log. I could hear it huffing and puffing. I circled left through some brush to get a good broadside shot to finish it off, then the owner starts yelling HE'S GETTING UP! Lever gun comes up, aim in at his heart, pull the trigger...click. Shit. I've been having problems with primers not being fully seated on my 500 S&W reloads (note to self, buy a primer pocket uniformer). Quick as shit, run the lever, aim, and BAM! Right through the heart. "There, he's gotta be dead, right?"

The hog then looks at me, stands up and charges. I'm mentally doing the math, one dud plus one fired equals oh shit, I loaded an extra didnt't I or do we go to bayonet fighter mode and hope it doesnt tear me up too bad before the ranch owner shoots it. Run the lever quick and use the Force again to point and shoot, BAM! right through the back of his skull. Hog seizes up and falls over not more than 3 feet from me. Ranch owner laughing his ass off, pistol still in his back pocket. The Mrs. was still in the blind, she said my two shots were so fast, she thought I was carrying my AR.

FB_IMG_1600324269844.jpg

We found the bullet in the chest- it's a 350gr Hornady FTX fired at a range of about a yard or so. The heart and lungs were completely pulped, these Texas hogs just don't know they're dead. 187 pounds.
    IMG_20200917_204532.jpg
    Guns International

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Great post!

Side question:
    Do those thermacell dealios really work? Critters just love my sweet, sweet blood...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They do as long as it's not windy and you're stationary. You have to give it a few minutes to heat up and build a cloud around you, but once it does they've very effective. They're great if you're hunting from a blind.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Great post!

Side question:
    Do those thermacell dealios really work? Critters just love my sweet, sweet blood...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I bought one for set up @ the renfest.(before the fig the place nightly) I ended up giving it a a buddy because it wasn't staying lit for me. He has better luck using during bow season

Top Bottom