• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Taken with Nikon D3200 and Nikkor 18-300mm lens. The other pics are too large to upload, so I'll have to edit them down

DSC_0163.jpg
    DSC_0262.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• DSC_0163.jpg
      DSC_0163.jpg
      295.5 KB · Views: 427
    • DSC_0262.jpg
      DSC_0262.jpg
      476.7 KB · Views: 407

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I was there today. Typical great performance by the Blue Angels. Biggest disappointment was the F-35. It was the ‘C’ model; I was hoping it’d be the ‘B’ model and do a hover take off or landing. Static displays (numbers & varieties) were outstanding. Overall, great show!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I was there today. Typical great performance by the Blue Angels. Biggest disappointment was the F-35. It was the ‘C’ model; I was hoping it’d be the ‘B’ model and do a hover take off or landing. Static displays (numbers & varieties) were outstanding. Overall, great show!
    I am a contractor for Lockheed and spend a lot of time at plant 4 (JRB) so I see the 35s take off and land all of the time. Today was my first real demo of any variant. I was impressed by its performance. Seeing a B version would have been cool.

I have seen the 22 before, but it is always awesome.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    A thread about helis with pics & discussion of planes. :p

I have loved the P-51 since I was a kid. F-4 Phantom too.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Weak ass P-51. They need a real 18 cylinder warbird up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    What is that in your first image? A twin Yak? What's strung between them? I have never seen that aircraft before and I have done a lot of air shows over the years...
    Yeah, it is two Russian aerobic YAKs put together. That’s a jet engine on the mid wing. Obviously custom built and the singular example of that plane in the world. Built to perform aerobics at airshows like this one. The announcer mentioned several times, it was just “a dream, made reality” by the builder; “if you can dream it.... you can build it”... yada, yada, yada....

But he did put on a decent aerobic show. You could definitely hear when he kicked in the jet engine, especially on vertical climbs. It was an interesting audible sensation to hear the jet engine whine laid in, over top the twin radial engine sounds.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Great pics as usual!

I saw a F-35B do a STOL at Oceana a few years back, it was really weird. It was unable to do a VTOL as the tarmac was not hard enough and would have broken it up they said.

I did see a Harrier do a VTOL at Love Field after Desert Storm, it was the loudest thing I have ever heard.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Yeah, it is two Russian aerobic YAKs put together. That’s a jet engine on the mid wing. Obviously custom built and the singular example of that plane in the world. Built to perform aerobics at airshows like this one. The announcer mentioned several times, it was just “a dream, made reality” by the builder; “if you can dream it.... you can build it”... yada, yada, yada....

But he did put on a decent aerobic show. You could definitely hear when he kicked in the jet engine, especially on vertical climbs.
    Interesting. Thanks for filling in the blanks. The Yak can do an amazingly fast snap roll, so it would be interesting to see how the "twin" does. The extra thrust of a jet engine is a nice touch. Must take off pretty briskly, too?

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Must take off pretty briskly, too?
    Probably did; can’t say for sure - I was watching a different kind of split tail when he did his takeoff roll.

His aileron rolls weren’t all together that impressive as you might have guessed. I mean, twin booms and all - just a pretty good sized plane, so it took awhile for them to complete. But I’d say his vertical climbs were impressive; he was able to sustain them much longer than what you’re used to seeing with just propeller-driven planes, alone.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Great pics as usual!

I saw a F-35B do a STOL at Oceana a few years back, it was really weird. It was unable to do a VTOL as the tarmac was not hard enough and would have broken it up they said.

I did see a Harrier do a VTOL at Love Field after Desert Storm, it was the loudest thing I have ever heard.
    I have been attending those shows since 2007, and one year there was a Harrier demo. Very loud, but super impressive

Top Bottom