• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    So my girlfriends car started squealing horribly.. It gets louder as you accelerate.. So I started touching the stethoscope to different bearings and wasn't having any luck finding the sound. Got a light under it and realized that the camshaft pulley....(I think.. Correct me if in wrong... I learn on the fly).... Was wobbling and the squealing variance matched the visual variance in the wobble.

So what does this fix entail? Should it be towed back to San Antonio, I assume it is not driveable anymore for fear of causing more damage...

Any info and help would be appreciated!

ED87F575-31B1-4578-8C7C-41604029F76A-8120-000005A94C668158.gif

The culprit
    6FC756E0-5783-4C5C-AF64-B9769A0512C2-8120-000005A93FE7CB8B.gif
    Capitol Armory ad

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I wouldn't drive it if you can help it. Sounds like a bearing went out which might have caused more damage. We do have an automotive guy on here that will prolly be able to tell ya exactly what ya need.

Sent from Hicksville.....or while dreaming of Hicksville

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    OK, I can see this better now. Doesn't look like the pulley has moved forward, but it looks like it's slipping on the rubber insulator, which will cause squealing just like a slipping belt.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    OK, I can see this better now. Doesn't look like the pulley has moved forward, but it looks like it's slipping on the rubber insulator, which will cause squealing just like a slipping belt.

What do you think.. Too unsafe to drive from kerrville to San Antonio if I can't get it fixed right away this morning?

camd64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    cedar park
    That is your combination harmonic balancer and crankshaft pulley. It is press fit to the crankshaft and you need a puller to remove it. I wouldn't drive it if at all possible. If it breaks apart you can cause serious damage like a busted radiator, fan, hood, or just about anything that stands in the way of a couple pounds spinning at a few thousand rpm's. Those in particular on that car are known to fail.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    That is your combination harmonic balancer and crankshaft pulley. It is press fit to the crankshaft and you need a puller to remove it. I wouldn't drive it if at all possible. If it breaks apart you can cause serious damage like a busted radiator, fan, hood, or just about anything that stands in the way of a couple pounds spinning at a few thousand rpm's. Those in particular on that car are known to fail.

Ditto. Looks like your crankshaft dampener. Should be an easy fix. Biggest problem is getting the crank bolt loose. They make a special tool that holds the pulley in place so you can loosen the bolt without spinning the engine over. OR ... if you can get an impact gun in there, it'll do it too. OR ... you can set a breakover bar on the frame rail in the direction that it's going, and then tap the starter to loosen the bolt. Then you use the puller after the bolt is loosened and pull and replace the dampener. Then assembly is just the opposite. Just make sure you get the bolt back on tight or else it will walk out on you.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Thanks for the info guys! Helped out a ton! I couldn't pull the part so I took it to a mechanic friend and got the whole job done for under $230!

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Usually its the idler pulley that squeals on ford motors. $10 fix.

That was my very first thought actually. I replaced hers first thing because it had a little play in it, but that was not where the squealing came from unfortunately... Funny though.. My idler pulley actually froze up today on my '96 cougar.. lol stupid thing cost me a $20 bill and 7 minutes of my life.

Top Bottom