• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Big fan of penetrating oil (like liquid wrench), breaks down 'gunk' and rust pretty well. WD-40 wasn't intended as a lubricant anyway.
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Any suggestions on what specific lube to use? All I've done so far is rub graphite on the key itself.

Any dry lube should work, including a graphite lube. Don’t use a wet lubricant.

If you’re at the dealership, ask them about a replacement cylinder and key set as an option.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The only purchase documentation we've got is the title, I didn't look closely at it, but I don't *think* it's on there? I may run back over to Golden tomorrow and see if they'll get me a factory key cut.

If you have the VIN, which is on the title, Honda can tell you the key number.

Kalena

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland
    I've tried giving both dealerships in the area the VIN and they apparently cannot see the key code on their side :shrug:

I tried using the key we had cut on the storage compartment again today. When I went to pull the key out, the door came off.... I guess it hadn't been secured well the last time someone was in there? Now I'm contemplating taking it to locksmith to leave so they can fiddle with a key until they make one that works lol

Today has not been a "work on the stupid bike" motivation day, so we'll mess with it tomorrow :D

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Locksmith is definitely going to be the most reliable. They'll pull the lock cylinder down and measure the tumblers if they have to, and cut a key directly to those measurements.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've tried giving both dealerships in the area the VIN and they apparently cannot see the key code on their side :shrug:

I tried using the key we had cut on the storage compartment again today. When I went to pull the key out, the door came off.... I guess it hadn't been secured well the last time someone was in there? Now I'm contemplating taking it to locksmith to leave so they can fiddle with a key until they make one that works lol

Today has not been a "work on the stupid bike" motivation day, so we'll mess with it tomorrow :D

You need to contact Honda North America. The dealerships wont have that info.

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    Usually the key code is only required to go on the set-up pdi sheet.
    I have used silicone spray with decent results. If this bike has sat for awhile that can be the problem.
    to get the bolts out. use a center punch and a 6mm (1/4) drill to drill the heads off.

Top Bottom