• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kalena

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland
    Thought the key was hanging up on the key rack, got down here and it's disappeared itself. Managed to get the cover off ignition and get key code. Got the key cut, doesn't work. Took it to a different locksmith to verify first one cut it correctly, they confirmed it's right. Went to Golden in Odessa and talked with a guy there for a bit, I knocked down the burrs and rounded the sharp bits with a metal file per his suggestion, still only getting ~1mm of movement when trying to use the key on any of the locks.

So, it's looking like I'm gonna have to pull the ignition to take to the locksmith for a damn key. However, those bolts do NOT want to budge. Any suggestions other than setting the bike on fire and calling it a day?

I'm short and still recovering from ACL reconstruction, so damn sure can't move it, I'm assuming handlebars are locked, so can't even roll it up on a trailer to take it to dealer :(

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    try sliding key up and down while turning it. could be a slight depth of internals issue

Kalena

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland
    I thought that might work as well, tried jiggling up and down, side to side, going in slowly while jiggling slightly, no good :(

Kalena

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland
    I've got a lockpick set coming in today, if I can pick the gas cap or storage compartment, may be able to take those to locksmith instead of ignition. :/

Kalena

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland
    Next step is WD40 the bolts, get a bigger ratchet, maybe a pipe for leverage. The searching I've done on it says they're permanent bolts that you've gotta drill out, but ya never know.

Also, I know I don't have ridiculous arm strength, so at least if I hit you, it probably wouldn't hurt too bad :P

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Unfortunately I'm not a lock expert. My way of getting past them means they are now useless and involves fire.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I've got a lockpick set coming in today, if I can pick the gas cap or storage compartment, may be able to take those to locksmith instead of ignition. :/
    Next step is WD40 the bolts, get a bigger ratchet, maybe a pipe for leverage. The searching I've done on it says they're permanent bolts that you've gotta drill out, but ya never know.

:P
    I get the distinct impression "NO" is not your vocabulary. ;)

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    Take the key code and vin # to your nearest honda motorcycle dealer with proof of ownership. They will use the key code and vin to order you a new set of keys. Can't cut it on site, but you'll get a new factory set of keys direct from the factory in a few days

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Take the key code and vin # to your nearest honda motorcycle dealer with proof of ownership. They will use the key code and vin to order you a new set of keys. Can't cut it on site, but you'll get a new factory set of keys direct from the factory in a few days
    This ^^^^

txhawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Did you look in his jacket pockets for the key?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    George Carlin has some tips that will help you find them.
    Remember, they can always be found at the last place you look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    Those bolts on the switch may have heads that torque off when tightened. If it has a helmet lock does the key work in that? We make keys at the dealership I work at and sometimes the lock needs some lube.

Kalena

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland
    The key was definitely hanging up after Dad passed, my ex moved the bike over to one side in the garage so we had a walking path. I'm guessing it walked off with him. We tried both Golden and Midland Powersports and neither could retrieve the code by VIN. We managed to get the code off the ignition and get a key cut, it just doesn't want to work.

Lockpick set got here today though, tomorrow I'll attack the storage compartment, if I can get it off, I can take it to locksmith. If not, those bolts are coming off one way or another :banghead:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    LIke EZ and someone else said above, the purchase docs likely have the key number listed. The factory key will work.

Kalena

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland
    The only purchase documentation we've got is the title, I didn't look closely at it, but I don't *think* it's on there? I may run back over to Golden tomorrow and see if they'll get me a factory key cut.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    It was suggested to lube the lock cylinder, did you try that? I'd lube the cylinder and slowly work the key for a while.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom