• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    5.4 Litre. It's been stumbling under a load, say going up a small incline at 50-60 mph. It started right after my last fill up so I thought it was some bad gas. No check engine light came on. I filled it up with fresh gas but it didn't clear up, but finally got a CEL. Put the OBD-II scan tool on it and got two codes. P0305, misfire in cylinder 5 and P0316, misfire upon start up (less than 1000 rpm).

I'm thinking it's the coil pack on cylinder #5. I'm going to pick one up at Advance Auto today and replace it.

What do you think the odds are that will fix it? Results to be posted later today.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Which 5.4 came in the '03? I had an '02 with the 5.4 2V, started stumbling and getting abysmal mileage, no MIL and no codes. I got rid of it, found out later on there's a (cheap, easy) PCV component that fails and causes issues on a lot of these.

Eli

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Which 5.4 came in the '03? I had an '02 with the 5.4 2V, started stumbling and getting abysmal mileage, no MIL and no codes. I got rid of it, found out later on there's a (cheap, easy) PCV component that fails and causes issues on a lot of these.

Eli

From what I can tell, the 03 has the same 5.4 engine.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yep. I heard about that after I bought it. There are only 4 or 5 threads in the head to grab the plug. But in this case, the plugs haven't blown out.....yet. At 85k, it still has the original factory plugs.
    That might be part of the problem.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Eli

I was just about to post PCV valve.

Sounds like a tune up is in order.
    plugs & wires
    PCV valve
    fuel filter
    oil & filter change

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The 5.4 engine having spark plug issues? Say it isn't so. :) I replaced mine with the 2 piece plugs before they became an issue. Keeping fingers crossed on that one.
    I think Ford finally addressed the problem in the 2004 model year without actually admitting there was a problem.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Eli
    Same 5.4 Triton in '02 and '03.
    That might be part of the problem.
    The manual says to change the plugs at 100k. At the rate I drive it, I figure I have another 5-6 years before I need to change them. Hope to have a newer vehicle by then.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Changed out the #5 COP this morning and gave it a good 18 mile test drive. No more stumbling or hesitation, no SES/CEL/MIL light. So I'm calling it fixed.

I gotta say, they don't make them easy to work on. I was lucky that #5 is the easiest one to get to. That still involved removing the beauty cover, air filter housing, and power steering brace/bracket.

I figure I saved a minimum of $200 by doing it myself. The part only cost me $75 from Advance Auto. Mechanic shops want $90 or $100 just to hook up their diagnostic machines, then $100 per hour labor, plus parts.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I love me expedition. We have a 17. I love the EcoBoost motor too. We have got it in 3 trucks now. The beast has torque n power where you want it for towing. Plus it gets 18 mpg in town and 20 on the highway.

Weve had 10 ford trucks over the last 8 or 9 years, we keep them till the warranty is almost up or broke even on debt or lease them so every 2 or so years we trade them on. Part of the reason is so I dont have to work on them. I dont know if we will get rid of this one for a while.

The new Lincoln with the big HP motor is interesting though.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Just want to add; I have the Haynes manual for the 03 Expedition. It was no help at all. Youtube is where it's at.

The Haynes manual had 3 or 5 photos and basically said "Unplug the coil, remove the bolt holding it, pull out the coil, install the new one, replace the plug and the bolt." Didn't say a damn thing about all that other crap you have to remove just to get to it.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You know I went to school, basically a 4 year vocational level automotive program that prepares you to pass ASE certs, and half those manuals are gibberish and were back then. You tube provides so much more info on specific steps those repair manuals just dont have the room for. They are written at a level of that of a competent mechanic who knows or can find the missing info and marketed to an owner or enthusiast who may be lost part way into a repair.

For me, Were talking 35 plus years ago so that translates to nothing today beyond basic concepts. I knew then the future was in auto electric, electronics and computers. Even though I passed most of the old ASE tests I'd have needed at least a couple years of dealer supported and sponsored training at a cost I would have been hard pressed to recover to get to entry level competency. Things changed that fast over 3 or 4 years, so I moved on to brighter horizons. Now the computer nerds who obsessed about games and commodore 64 computers that we picked on are laughing at us.

Besides I found I hated constantly dirty hands and it wasnt fun as a job as it is as a hobby.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I miss being able to do the basic maintenance items. Now oil changes are about the only thing that hasn't been made impossible to do for the average shade tree mechanic.

Top Bottom