Join TexasGunTalk

2-way radios. Need recommendation.

Discussion in 'Electronics & Video Games' started by FireInTheWire, Oct 7, 2019.

1. jordanmills

jordanmills TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    They don't do anything even when people complain.

TheDan and satx78247 like this.
  2. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    When we ran in the deserts, everyone had race radios, and few if any have licenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FireInTheWire and TxStetson like this.
  3. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not completely true on getting caught. There was a guy building radios in Itasca that made a hell of a name for himself.

Eventually he made enough of a name for himself that the FCC came by and fined him something like 10k. That said, the average person will probably never hear a word unless they really tick off a local HAM group or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247 likes this.
  4. jordanmills

jordanmills TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    They only went after him because he was basically a business, and the revolving-door lobbyists running the FCC don't like competition. Look up some of the issues with GMRS radio in NYC to see how far an individual can push it without the FCC bothering to care.

5. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    No one really cares unless you're causing interference or being a nuisance. At 5-8 watts you'd have to be practically standing on top of someone to cause interference. You're pretty safe with any of the cheap handhelds.

Remember the FCC is a tax collection agency. If you stay in the bands they don't make money off of then they don't really care.

jordanmills likes this.
  6. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have a few of these that I lend out to people. I have them pre-programmed with only the FRS/GRMS frequencies so that the inexperienced won't accidentally transmit on a government frequency or interfere with a ham station. There are some cheaper ones out there, but this a great package for the price.
    https://amzn.to/2XT4UWc

majormadmax and jordanmills like this.