9.8 KB · Views: 588

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Hell, in space they are good for thousands of miles...

32 mile range would be from the top of a 4000 ft. mountain to another 4000 ft. mountain 32 miles away with no hills between. That is a "theoretical" distance. In a normal situation, you'd be really lucky to get 1 mile.
    The FRS band is very line-of-sight.

Mine have been OK. USed them in deep east Texas in heavy woods. Worked OK. Were OK on the Western slope of the Rockies. But was likely under 3 miles.

Def not line of sight in either case.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    avvidclif,

MOST "relatively modern" industrial radios have the capability to program MORE available channels than there are lawful GMRS frequencies.

yours, satx
    Yes, many of the cheap Chinese dual-band ham radios (like the Baofeng UV-5R) can be programmed to go out of band (such as FRS/GMRS band). You can transmit 5 watts instead of 10% of that with most FRS radios.
    However, I wouldn't recommend it since it's a violation of FCC rules of course.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Yes, many of the cheap Chinese dual-band ham radios (like the Baofeng UV-5R) can be programmed to go out of band (such as FRS/GMRS band). You can transmit 5 watts instead of 10% of that with most FRS radios.
    However, I wouldn't recommend it since it's a violation of FCC rules of course.

So is over 5w Am and 12.5 SSB on the CB bands. Think the FCC notices any violations?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not completely true on getting caught. There was a guy building radios in Itasca that made a hell of a name for himself.

Eventually he made enough of a name for himself that the FCC came by and fined him something like 10k. That said, the average person will probably never hear a word unless they really tick off a local HAM group or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Not completely true on getting caught. There was a guy building radios in Itasca that made a hell of a name for himself.

Eventually he made enough of a name for himself that the FCC came by and fined him something like 10k. That said, the average person will probably never hear a word unless they really tick off a local HAM group or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They only went after him because he was basically a business, and the revolving-door lobbyists running the FCC don't like competition. Look up some of the issues with GMRS radio in NYC to see how far an individual can push it without the FCC bothering to care.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    No one really cares unless you're causing interference or being a nuisance. At 5-8 watts you'd have to be practically standing on top of someone to cause interference. You're pretty safe with any of the cheap handhelds.

Remember the FCC is a tax collection agency. If you stay in the bands they don't make money off of then they don't really care.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom