Military Camp

2 gun matches ? Pistol/carbine and carbine matches?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Yes I do shoot some of the matches there. Cresson is mixed. Lots of very good experienced shooters, but no reason a new guy couldn't have fun. They also have a monthly uspsa match which is run by Cross Timbers.

njrefugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2014
    I went to my first 2 gun at Cresson this past weekend. It was actually a multigun event, but if you don't want to use shotgun, you can shoot the shotgun parts with a pistol. I did this and it was pretty challenging, especially some of the steel targets out past 50 yards that were intended for slugs. (Highlight of my day was hitting a bowling-pin sized steel target at about 60 yards or so with a compact 45 ACP pistol. I went prone for stability and hit on my 5th or 6th shot.) The rifle targets were contact out to 500 yards. Most weren't too crazy, but definitely a challenge to do it quickly and with few misses.

There were about 10-12 or so guys to a squad and the overall turnout seemed like 30 or 40. Most of the guys there were clearly very experienced and awesome to watch. I am very new to the AR platform and have pretty limited pistol experience, but I did not feel any attitude or anything from the other shooters. There were a few other relatively new folks as well. The guys keeping score and the other shooters were very approachable and volunteered some advice without being stuck up or anything. Good group of people, and I definitely learned a few things.

It is about 90 min or so from the Plano area (I'm in Fairview). The match started at 9am and ran till about 4pm, with a break for lunch. 5 stages, but each was pretty involved. I would highly recommend at least enough pistol mags to hold 50 or 60 rounds. I ran through everything I had on a particularly long stage and still had a few targets to go. I did not need to do any mag changes with the AR, but always had a fresh one on board just in case.

All of the transitions at this event were from a barrel, so you don't carry your rifle while shooting the pistol parts. There are plenty of youtube videos from northtexasmultigun so you can see how they run it.

Also, they run the same match on both Sat and Sun, to accommodate work and worship schedules. I went on a Sat. Not sure how big the Sunday crowd is. Overall, it's a great value for $40 and definitely challenging. I hope to get back out there soon, next time with some serious bug repellent. There is a decent amount of tramping around in foot-high grass, and my ankles got mauled by chiggers. I'm slamming Benadryl shooters like it's spring break over here...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2015
    Man that sounds awesome!
    I wonder if it's in the 2 gun that you can carry your rifle? (I want to practice carrying it as in real life since I wouldn't leave it behind)
    Thanks
    I went to my first 2 gun at Cresson this past weekend. It was actually a multigun event, but if you don't want to use shotgun, you can shoot the shotgun parts with a pistol. I did this and it was pretty challenging, especially some of the steel targets out past 50 yards that were intended for slugs. (Highlight of my day was hitting a bowling-pin sized steel target at about 60 yards or so with a compact 45 ACP pistol. I went prone for stability and hit on my 5th or 6th shot.) The rifle targets were contact out to 500 yards. Most weren't too crazy, but definitely a challenge to do it quickly and with few misses.

There were about 10-12 or so guys to a squad and the overall turnout seemed like 30 or 40. Most of the guys there were clearly very experienced and awesome to watch. I am very new to the AR platform and have pretty limited pistol experience, but I did not feel any attitude or anything from the other shooters. There were a few other relatively new folks as well. The guys keeping score and the other shooters were very approachable and volunteered some advice without being stuck up or anything. Good group of people, and I definitely learned a few things.

It is about 90 min or so from the Plano area (I'm in Fairview). The match started at 9am and ran till about 4pm, with a break for lunch. 5 stages, but each was pretty involved. I would highly recommend at least enough pistol mags to hold 50 or 60 rounds. I ran through everything I had on a particularly long stage and still had a few targets to go. I did not need to do any mag changes with the AR, but always had a fresh one on board just in case.

All of the transitions at this event were from a barrel, so you don't carry your rifle while shooting the pistol parts. There are plenty of youtube videos from northtexasmultigun so you can see how they run it.

Also, they run the same match on both Sat and Sun, to accommodate work and worship schedules. I went on a Sat. Not sure how big the Sunday crowd is. Overall, it's a great value for $40 and definitely challenging. I hope to get back out there soon, next time with some serious bug repellent. There is a decent amount of tramping around in foot-high grass, and my ankles got mauled by chiggers. I'm slamming Benadryl shooters like it's spring break over here...

njrefugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2014
    Yeah, beats me. I guess I'll find out if I can get out to a 2-gun rather than multi-gun event. If you want to really try out your gear and carrying everything as you shoot, you should do the Zombie Destruction Biathlon down at BattleroadUSA in Temple. It's about 3 hours south of here. They run the event in April and Oct. I plan on doing it in Oct this year. 4.5 miles with all your stuff, pistol and rifle. Super fun. I definitely made some changes to my equipment after doing the event last year. ZOMBIE BIATHLON - BATTLEROAD USA

njrefugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2014
    Just a note about the Zombie Destruction Biathlon: Michael Adam, who ran the event (on his ranch) was killed in a car accident last month. He was a wonderful person and taught a lot of folks what it means to be a Rifleman. He will be terribly missed. Please keep Michael, his daughters and his wife in your thoughts and prayers.

This is the post from BattleRoad:
    As most of you know Michael Adam co-founder of Battle Road died in a motor vehicle accident last month. Its simply not possible to continue with the Zombie Destruction Biathlon nor any other Battle Road shooting events without Michael. Everyone who purchased tickets for the biathlon has been refunded.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2015
    You are F kidding me!!! I'm so sorry to hear this... How about only bad people die for a while :(
    Prayers to family and friends

coreymcl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Mansfield, TX
    I also live in the DFW area and after I get a bit more experience I'd like to attend some of these. I'm still trying to gather all the equipment I would need for these matches.

I'd be curious to understand if people using chest rigs or just belts with pistol and mag holsters.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Just a note about the Zombie Destruction Biathlon: Michael Adam, who ran the event (on his ranch) was killed in a car accident last month. He was a wonderful person and taught a lot of folks what it means to be a Rifleman. He will be terribly missed. Please keep Michael, his daughters and his wife in your thoughts and prayers.

This is the post from BattleRoad:
    As most of you know Michael Adam co-founder of Battle Road died in a motor vehicle accident last month. Its simply not possible to continue with the Zombie Destruction Biathlon nor any other Battle Road shooting events without Michael. Everyone who purchased tickets for the biathlon has been refunded.

Wow really sorry to hear this.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Edmond, OK
    Try 3-gun. You don't be disappointed. It may not be realistic as you say but just like the unrealistic crap in IDPA it will make you a more proficient shooter because it gives you a reason to train and goals to strive for.

I heard a rumor that 3-gun nation maybe coming out with a 2-gun rifle/pistol deal next year. I'm sure it won't be IDPA based with fake scenarios to try to mimic the real world shoot out you'll likely never be in but it will be fun and challenging.

chbpmgr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ditto on Jesse's post. Lots of fun with great folks. You'll find yourself being challenged to shoot faster and with more accuracy. There's the benefits of increased familiarity with your kit 'cause you're getting more trigger time... All good stuff...

Hope we see ya out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom