• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    In the Navy of yesteryear we used to get a short break when we were deployed called "coke and smokes"... typically held in a small berthing area aboard ship

if you didn't take these breaks and were just chillin out side of that smoke filled area, some Chief would spot you and snag you up for some other chore... didn't matter if you were on break or not... get spotted and you were off on some shitty deal.

due to these "coke and smokes" I inadvertently became a smoker for the last 31 years.

I am now on my 23rd day of no cigarettes.

so, I just wanted to say....

**** YOU MARLBORO ! you don't have me by the balls anymore, and that money I was giving you...$57 bucks a week will be going toward a new Camaro SS

:spam:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Smoke and Coke
    Target Sports

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    The nicotine is the easy part. The habit is the hard part. For me it was snuff. Long after the nicotine withdrawals were over, I'd still find my self reaching for or wanting a pinch after or during certain activities, just from habit. Those were the harder cravings to kick.

The physical part is over now though. So from here on out it's just mental. Keep reminding yourself, I don't do that anymore when the urge hits.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Hang in there. The reward is worth the effort. 40 years after quitting if I sit down to a coffee at Denny's I may still slap my shirt pocket looking for my smokes. Just makes me smile.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My dad smoked until he was nearly 50. He got bronchitis once and just couldn't smoke, he could not inhale enough. After a couple of weeks he felt better and when he woke up one morning he reached for a cig. He realized then that he had actually already quit, for two weeks. He threw his pack away and that was it. He said that what made it tough for him was those moments when he was in the routine of smoking.

30 years later he still is a non-smoker. My mother stopped at the same time.

whittsailor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Way to go OP!
    One day at a time is right. I'd dipped snuff since junior high, and now at nearly 57 years old I haven't in over 15 years. Hang in there.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    2vtxsmq.jpg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    In the Navy of yesteryear we used to get a short break when we were deployed called "coke and smokes"... typically held in a small berthing area aboard ship

if you didn't take these breaks and were just chillin out side of that smoke filled area, some Chief would spot you and snag you up for some other chore... didn't matter if you were on break or not... get spotted and you were off on some shitty deal.
    I ETS'ed out of the AF just 15 years ago and it was the same then. Smokers got to take breaks, and everyone else got to cover for them. I preferred working to smoking...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The OP made me smile and I'm so happy for you! Your becoming unfettered from tobacco made my friggin' day! I hope that change brings you health & happiness!

I ditched several unhealthy substances in my life. In fact, May 16 will mark the 36th anniversary of becoming clean & sober! I mentioned that in these hallowed halls many times................but never told about kicking the tobacco habit!

The end of tobacco and its hold on me came while lighting up a coffin nail. These words came rumbling through my mind:

"WHAT A STUPID WAY TO SPEND MY TIME!"

I never touched another cigarette! Not sure why it worked, but it did!

Flash

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Started, like most people back then, in high school, but quit cold turkey nearly 50 years ago now. Quitting was one of the best things I have ever done.

Hang in there and don't give up.

Top Bottom