• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Everytime I've been in the market for 1911 magazines I'm always confused about the frame/magazine sizes. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

There are generally four frame sizes, which necessitates only two standard magazine sizes for flush fit.
    - Government and Commander require full-size 7 round magazine.
    - Officer and Defender require compact-size 6 round magazine. These frame sizes can also accept full-size magazines and function normally but the magazine will extend beyond flush.

Yes? No? Maybe?
    DK Firearms

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Everytime I've been in the market for 1911 magazines I'm always confused about the frame/magazine sizes. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

There are generally four frame sizes, which necessitates only two standard magazine sizes for flush fit.
    - Officer and Defender require compact-size 6 round magazine. These frame sizes can also accept full-size magazines and function normally but the magazine will extend beyond flush.

Yes? No? Maybe?
    Hey Tip,

I "prefer" the Wilson mags...

The floorplate comes off easily...for cleaning & such....

The 8rd mags will be flush in a Gov't or Commander..

On the Officer's Model....either it works...or it doesn't....(they are a lot different)

Later, Mark

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    OP is correct.

The Gov’t or Full size mag fits flush in a Gov’t or Commander frame. These mags can hold 7 or 8 rds in .45acp or 9 to 10 rds in 9mm or .38 Super.

The Officer or Defender size mags fit the shorter grip frames.

Yes you can use the full size mags in the short grip models but not vice versa.

I like the Wilson brand mags. Also had great luck with Colt and Dan Wesson factory mags.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Yes? No? Maybe?
    You are pretty spot on with your assessment.

Others have suggested the Chip McCormak, Ed Brown, and Wilson Combat magazines. I also use them and recommend them as well. Mec-Gar also makes some really good magazines and is leading supplier for OEM magazines for many of the major pistol manufacturers as well. They also are a leading supplier for aftermarket magazines for consumers.

Brownell's and MidwayUSA are good sources for buying 1911 magazines. Both usually only stock and sell the better quality brands.

Stay away from the cheap gun show mags or that cheap junk that CTD sells. Spend the extra money and buy quality magazines. I really believe when it comes to pistol magazines, it's better to have a few quality magazines, than a bunch of cheap junk ones.

Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    Wilson seems to be the best of them. I have heard good things about the Tripp magazines. I don't carry a 1911 daily but if I did I would trust my safety to the Wilson 47 series.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Wilson and Chip McCormick are my go to full size 45 acp 1911 mags. 8 round in both. I had 3 eight round factory Colt nickel plated mags recently and I shot them out after about 200 rounds each and I was pissed. Have a compact Kimber that has a flawless compact mag. The spares I carry when I carry it are full size.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Ed Brown recently ran an exchange program. Replace old mag with an Ed Brown for $10 or $15 depending on model ordered. I had several old mags I couldn't depend on and exchanged them. Ed Brown and Wilson Combat have been the most reliable magazines I've used. I learned that CTD products were not worth dirt.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Tripp Research for a guaranteed win.

Anyone surprised that these substantially superior mags are Texas born? If you've worked with the Tripps, you will understand why I have not identified any competitors even though I have reliable 1911 mags from every maker listed so far plus a couple noone has listed yet.

So get your mags from Bastrop for a win.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I carry a 1911 commander. My gun isn't really particular about which manufacturer type magazine, so I have many brands of magazines. The one I carry in my gun, because it was the only one I could find to be truly flush with the grip is a KimPro. BTW, they are all 8 round magazines.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Ed Brown recently ran an exchange program. Replace old mag with an Ed Brown for $10 or $15 depending on model ordered. I had several old mags I couldn't depend on and exchanged them. Ed Brown and Wilson Combat have been the most reliable magazines I've used. I learned that CTD products were not worth dirt.
    I don't have experience with CTD but it sounds as though they are comparable to ProMag - certifiably pure junk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I don't have experience with CTD but it sounds as though they are comparable to ProMag - certifiably pure junk
    My last experience with CTD was yeas ago. They cancelled an online order on ammunition and then made it available again with a sizable price increase. I wouldn't order from them again if the price were one cent a round.

Top Bottom