• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I picked up an AMT hardballer but it has the wrong extractor installed. Its blued instead of stainless. Im guessing dude that sold it had it break and bought one but it didnt work so he offloaded it.

I know there's a couple different extractor available. The installed extractor is about 1/16th inch too long sonit doesn't grip the case at all. I found a site selling model 70 and model 80 extractors. What's the difference between the 2? Is one shorter?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    This is the extractor and you can see the gap between it and the case rim in the second picture. The extractor is unmarked.
    c93764457f4ee803718b9a73814778e3.jpg
    a97cae9157e56a037d19bac90fcb694b.jpg

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    Extractors are fairly inexpensive. Google “Tune 1911 extractor”. That will give you lots of info to tune that extractor no cutting or welding required. Once you get it to work purchase a quality SS extractor, tune it and enjoy. It’s not that tough. You know a little because you did remove it from the slide.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Extractors are fairly inexpensive. Google “Tune 1911 extractor”. That will give you lots of info to tune that extractor no cutting or welding required. Once you get it to work purchase a quality SS extractor, tune it and enjoy. It’s not that tough. You know a little because you did remove it from the slide.
    How do I get rid of the gap between the rim and extractor though. I had to tune my last hardballer so I remember the stuff to do but this thing isn't even close to touching the case yet.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I don't have a welder and don't know anything about tempering or heat treating extractors unfortunately.

A good Smith or Machinist who knows firearms can do it.
    He will need both the gun and the extracter and a round or a spent case. Several rounds would be best.

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    How do I get rid of the gap between the rim and extractor though. I had to tune my last hardballer so I remember the stuff to do but this thing isn't even close to touching the case yet.

Go strraight to a new quality extractor. Who knows where that one came from or what may have happened to it. Hardballer should accept most 1911 parts.

I’ve not had experience with the SS version but blued are the bomb. Wilson basically tempers them bent.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I just think those Hardballer AMT's are cool. 6" slide - correct?

I wish... This one is not the long slide version.

Go strraight to a new quality extractor. Who knows where that one came from or what may have happened to it. Hardballer should accept most 1911 parts.

I’ve not had experience with the SS version but blued are the bomb. Wilson basically tempers them bent.

This was my thought. Not only is it not the right size, it's also blued on a stainless pistol. We can't have that! Wilson was the page I was looking at though but they list the series 70 and series 80. I'll do more research on the 2 and see which one the hardballer takes after.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    The reason that you have that gap is because your extractor needs to be fitted. You can buy any quality Series 70 stainless steel extractor and fit it to your pistol. I recommend this one. If you don't feel comfortable fitting one, find a decent gunsmith who has experience with the 1911. Here is an entire thread that covers the topic:

1911 Extractor Fitting

Top Bottom