• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Okay y'all, I need a bit of direction here. I'm looking for a specific configuration of a 1911/2011.

It needs to be a 9mm with a barrel length between 3 1/2"and 4 1/2" or so. Closer to 4" is preferred. I'm thinking a full length guide rod, with the paper clip/wire rod hole, to make one handed field strip easier. Must have a picatinny type rail on it for a light or laser. Most likely just a light, as a laser grip option is fairly readily available if I want. I would like the slide to be pre-cut for optics mount, if, and, or, when the time comes that I'll need or want one. I would highly prefer an ambidextrous, or "lefty" mag. release. In a perfect world, I wouldn't need but one round for anything that arises, but, seeing as how it ain't, I would like to have a minimum of a nine and one capacity out of a single stack, as and many as possible out of a 2011. I would like the grip to be as relatively thin as possible even with the increased capacity of the double stack type magazines. Think, G43x/G48 grip with Shield Arms 15 rnd. double stack mags.

The budget is up to about $2500. Would obviously, prefer it to be on the less expensive side, due to rising ammo. costs.

So far, the only one that I've found that checks some of the boxes, is a Dan Wesson TCP. Are there any others out there?

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Staccato/STI and Wilson were the first two I looked in to. The Wilson EDC X9 is a resounding no. The Staccato C, C2, and P series all have re-designed upgraded recoil assemblies. Meaning, they did away with the hole and tool assembly system. There will be a link below to a video that shows the C and P being field stripped. And while I don't believe either Staccato system is impossible, I don't yet think either are any easier than a standard 1911 with a bushing.

I did a brief check into the SA EMP line as well, but, what they and RRA did a few years back just still really irks me, so...

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I recently sold my Wilson stainless Classic Government Model 1911. It was a very accurate and smooth 1911 in 45 ACP. I liked it so much I ordered a Classic in 9mm. Another very nice pistol. I recently bought a CZ Shadow 2 Orange in 9mm. This is by far the most accurate stock factory pistol I have ever owned.

As I get older, I find shooting a 45 ACP pistol a little less enjoyable than in my younger years. With the ammo situation we have today shooting any ammo is stressful. Trying to replace what you just shot is stressful.

The one main thing I look for in a company is their customer service. Most companies are very helpful.

Not Les Baer.
    I will never buy another Les Baer 1911. A few years ago I ordered one of his Premier 2 1911s from Impact Guns in Utah.
    I the added accuracy upgrade. It arrived at my FFL location with a blemish in the bluing on the end of the barrel near the front sight. I called LB to report the damage. I rudely was told that once an item leaves their plant, there is no warranty for delivery damage. I told them it was not delivery damage, but a bluing mistake. I even argued with Les himself and offered to send photos for his review.
    He told me to sell my new pistol to someone else. He told me his stuff was too popular for them to worry about problems like mine.
    I also found that Les test fires every 1911 he makes. All are made in house and the ones that shoot the best out of the production day, get sent to people who have paid extra for the accuracy upgrade. Here I was thinking it was them taking extra care in the production.
    No more Les Baer products for me.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Talked and met with a gentleman at STI/Staccato yesterday, 6-17-21, concerning this. After handling a couple of these, and man, did they ever feel awesome, and seeing the takedown procedure being done in person and attempting a bit of it myself, we came to the same conclusion, not going to happen. The major hitch, is the constant spring pressure I would need to contend with.

While one of these are still on my wants list, it ain't going to happen any time soon. The search continues...

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Nothing says you can't fit a standard recoil system to a Staccato. Depends what they are doing with barrels these days...I can't keep up (and are not a dealer for them anymore), but a "bull barrel" Commander would need a reverse plug cut, and a bushing gun would be a direct swap for a guide rod setup.

I have a few late STI guns that got their recoil systems thrown in the spare parts box and replaced with something easier to work with. Custom 2011, well, none of mine have the multi-spring assemblies.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I recently sold my Wilson stainless Classic Government Model 1911. It was a very accurate and smooth 1911 in 45 ACP. I liked it so much I ordered a Classic in 9mm. Another very nice pistol. I recently bought a CZ Shadow 2 Orange in 9mm. This is by far the most accurate stock factory pistol I have ever owned.

As I get older, I find shooting a 45 ACP pistol a little less enjoyable than in my younger years. With the ammo situation we have today shooting any ammo is stressful. Trying to replace what you just shot is stressful.

The one main thing I look for in a company is their customer service. Most companies are very helpful.

Not Les Baer.
    I will never buy another Les Baer 1911. A few years ago I ordered one of his Premier 2 1911s from Impact Guns in Utah.
    I the added accuracy upgrade. It arrived at my FFL location with a blemish in the bluing on the end of the barrel near the front sight. I called LB to report the damage. I rudely was told that once an item leaves their plant, there is no warranty for delivery damage. I told them it was not delivery damage, but a bluing mistake. I even argued with Les himself and offered to send photos for his review.
    He told me to sell my new pistol to someone else. He told me his stuff was too popular for them to worry about problems like mine.
    I also found that Les test fires every 1911 he makes. All are made in house and the ones that shoot the best out of the production day, get sent to people who have paid extra for the accuracy upgrade. Here I was thinking it was them taking extra care in the production.
    No more Les Baer products for me.

OldVet, I had a similar situation with Les.

As I said on another forum, my experiences with Les Baer and Wilson Combat:

1) LB- “How dare you say that something is wrong with your gun, I’m LES BAER!”

2) WC- “I’m sorry that you are having issues with your gun. We would be happy to look at it and make it right. “

Who do you think I have repeat business with?

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I work(ed) for a Bul dealer. The guns are awesome. Well built and shoot great. The owner has the SAS Viper (think G19 with more capacity and a great trigger) and it's a beast. Shoots super flat with the comp.
    If there is a warranty issue, they are not based here so that can take a while but there are not a lot of warranty issues that I'm aware of.
    Good luck in your search.

Top Bottom