• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Picked up 2k of these for some AR10 range fodder. Hoping they feed fine but also wondering how accurate they potentially are? I'm loading for a 308 bolt rifle as well so assuming the semi auto doesn't eat them up I do have a fall back. Anyhow, I've read tale after tale of how proven they are as a whitetail bullet but not too many stories about handloading them. I'm not expecting sub moa accuracy but if I can flirt with a 1" group in the bolt gun and 1.5" in the AR10 @100 yards I'd be plenty satisfied.

Normally I'd buy a box of factory ammo, blue print it and replicate if it shot well but I just blew out my budget this month on primers. I have a generous selection of powders but if anyone can throw out some advice, I'll take it. Bolt gun is a 1:10 and I believe the ballistic advantage modern series on the AR is as well.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well that's good news for their accuracy potential. I loaded some last night to cannelure depth. Came out to 2.715". I'm gonna see how they like TAC at 43-45gr. Loaded in Lake City brass so I kept them well under Max.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    In my .308 I had very good results with the 150 gn core lokt bullet in my handload.

46.5 gn of Varget, Remington brass and the Winchester lg rifle primer gave me 5 shot groups that averaged.694 inches at 100 yards.

To say I was surprised at those numbers would be an understatement. Coupled with the fact that I was paying less than $20.00 per 100 just made my day. Never expected to get that kind of accuracy from that bullet, but was advised by my mentors it was capable of it.

Put many whitetail & hogs in the freezer with that load in my .308.

The rifle I put together back in ‘97 and it’s on a Mauser action with a 26” Douglas barrel. So the muzzle velocities I recorded were in the upper 2900’s. Flat shooting & hard hitting, what more could I have asked for.

The 185 gn Core Lokt bullet for the 8mm Mauser & Magnum was very accurate too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Good stuff pakn'. I made a few ranging from 43-45 hr in 1/2gr increments w/TAC. 6 ea so I can try in the bolt gun and the gasser. I stayed under Max since it's all in LC brass. Not looking for a particular speed since both mine are 20" but just a smooth shooter in the gas gun and hopefully MOA or better. Figured they will make excellent hunting loads one way or another. I also scored 2k of them at 20 cents each in hand. PSPCL version. I like the cannelure and they measure out at 2.715" with just a smidge of cannelure showing.

Eventually I'll get out the comparator and check for jump to lands to fine tune it. I have way too many good powder options but I'm going to try to make TAC work since I have an abundance of it.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I had high hopes for TAC powder. My .308 just didn’t like it at all.

I recently picked up a pound of the new Staball Match that is “supposed “ to mimic Varget. I do not think it will as it’s burn rate is different enough to make a difference.

But it’s supposedly temperature insensitive so if my rifle likes it I will do a work up and put some back for future loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Looking like the core lokts are definitely moa. I did a large spread of charges and they seemed to like staying under 2700fps. Gonna fine tune this load with TAC but I think I've found an acceptable node between 42.5-43.8gr. Since I'm not looking for top speed, the next batch will be in this range. Even the AR 10 put them around 1.25-1.5" which will work for range fodder

Attachments

• IMG_20240804_100810846.jpg
      IMG_20240804_100810846.jpg
      282.8 KB · Views: 20
    Top Bottom