• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    "That's the last one of them we're doing"......

why would a .50 cal not penetrate that steel at 100 yds? It obviously wasn't 1000.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    "That's the last one of them we're doing"......

why would a .50 cal not penetrate that steel at 100 yds? It obviously wasn't 1000.

All it takes is an odd angle or a plate that isn’t secure.

I’ve shot at plates collected along the side of old railroad tracks that were just pushed in to loose dirt. APIs barely left a mark because the plate just fell over when hit.

AOA on its own can have a huge effect though. Or the round could have penetrated the target before ricocheting off a rock. If it was an AP round the tungsten core won’t deform at all. Standard ball will deform but doesn’t usually break up. A target angled down the way many are to divert splatter could bounce an M33 ball round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    All it takes is an odd angle or a plate that isn’t secure.

I’ve shot at plates collected along the side of old railroad tracks that were just pushed in to loose dirt. APIs barely left a mark because the plate just fell over when hit.

AOA on its own can have a huge effect though. Or the round could have penetrated the target before ricocheting off a rock. If it was an AP round the tungsten core won’t deform at all. Standard ball will deform but doesn’t usually break up. A target angled down the way many are to divert splatter could bounce an M33 ball round.

thanks

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Not sure if anyone has seen this or if it's real

Well, it's been on YouTube since 2010 and that site says it has had 158,274 views (which does not include the same video posted by someone else on YouTube or being shared the countless times it has been around the web). This posting of the same video has been on YouTube since 2007. .

So, yeah, I think it safe to say someone has seen it.:roflsmile:Always fun to watch again every now and then.

I am not sure if that is the one, but there was one bogus ricochet or shooting video made by a group of friends who placed it on YouTube; later on, they finally admitted it was a hoax.

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

So many lessons to learn from that great, famous and well viewed video.

Younggun is so right.

Most ammo we shoot is soft lead that liquefies and splatters like a raindrop on a windshield at 70 MPH when striking a rock or a solid target.

However....50 BMG ball is steel core.
    It, un-fragmented, can and will elastically bounce straight back at a shooter off of AR500 steel targets with deadly force.

High velocity projectiles, when shooting mild steel, will crater the steel and blow target debris straight back.
    I once, before I became mature and infinitely wise, shot some oil field pumps at a dump near Amarillo with my 375 H&H from about 200 feet. A searing pain and a trickle of blood from my mid-forearm was caused by a piece of metal a couple millimeters under my skin. At home I dug it out and rather than the expected brass jacket material I expected I found that it was steel from my target. A magnet picked it up.

Shooting steel I-beams hung from a tree and shot with sub-sonic 9mm or standard 45ACP is a particular hazard due to the 90 degree angle inherent in the I-Beam.
    A flattened 45 ball projectile and a thoroughly shattered Tundra side window were proof enough.

Don't EVEN ask how I learned not to shoot tractor tires with a BB gun as a kid!!!

That damned Isaac Newton and his physics invention!!!

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    My Uncle took a steel core 7.62 slug through the thigh from a 100 yard ricochet. They were shooting steel plate and he stepped around the side of the truck to take a piss. It was a clean through and through, just a couple stitches required.

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    I once had a .45ACP 230g FMJ Bullet ricochet off a Red Brick that was on the ground and hit me pretty hard on my Belt Buckle. The AOA sent the Bullet to the ground from which it deflected back up to me. I set up with a bit of lateral deflection along with a downward angle on steel plates.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I took a ricochet from a cb short one time....off of a bottle of Evian water....I dont drink bottled water anymore.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I took a ricochet at the local indoor range, from another shooter, right in the sternum. Had to peel the frag out from under my skin.

I was really glad it hit the bone.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I ricocheted a BB off my grandmother's house (shooting at a roosting sparrow) back into the corner of my left eye at about age 10. Dried up my tear duct for a couple of days & scared me badly. Christmas Story is not a funny movie.

Top Bottom