• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Well-Known
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Both of my boys love shooting and are pretty damn good at it - which makes me a proud dad. My oldest is the one who's obsessed with 100+ yard pistol shots.
    My greatest gift is still my father and my grandfather.

The time spent shooting with them is part of it.

If I may offer anything, let me offer this.

Time spent with your wife and your children is a blessing.

Shooting steel at 100 yds ain't worth a shit.

The lessons you're teaching are much more valuable.
    ARJ Defense ad

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My greatest gift is still my father and my grandfather.

The time spent shooting with them is part of it.

If I may offer anything, let me offer this.

Time spent with your wife and your children is a blessing.

Shooting steel at 100 yds ain't worth a shit.

The lessons you're teaching are much more valuable.

That's the great thing. He wanted to see if he could hit the 100 yard target with a pistol because one of the lessons I taught him was to always push the limits of his skills. My boys and I don't get to shoot together often enough but we do a lot of things as a family - the boys, my daughter and my wife.

And the pride he felt when the others we were shooting with realized what he was doing was worth a million bucks.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    That's the great thing. He wanted to see if he could hit the 100 yard target with a pistol because one of the lessons I taught him was to always push the limits of his skills. My boys and I don't get to shoot together often enough but we do a lot of things as a family - the boys, my daughter and my wife.

And the pride he felt when the others we were shooting with realized what he was doing was worth a million bucks.
    And he did...and will do yet again.

Keep up the good work my friend.

Love your wife, love your children she brought you.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest

Amongst the best memories I have had is shooting with my Dad.

Friday night was always back yard night plinking...and learning...and talking.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    C'mon, BigRed. Show us how you shoot 100 yards offhand. Put up or...
    I used to hit the 100yd rams on a "small" silhouette (NRA?) range...
    I used my Ruger MkII 5 1/2" bull barrel, standing... I'd hit the rams (very quiet little 'ding') about 8 out of 10 times.... of course it wouldn't knock em down, but you could hear them ding. Go out there and look and there were a bunch of little flat disks of lead laying around in front of the steel rams...... the lack of recoil made it a lot easier to not flinch. I couldn't do that well with my .357 or .44 mags.
    These days, I'd probably have to lie down with a Ransom Rest to hit anything....

Hitting at 100 yds is easier than most people would think. Once you figure out the "hold", it's about 99% trigger squeeze.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I used to hit the 100yd rams on a "small" silhouette (NRA?) range...
    I used my Ruger MkII 5 1/2" bull barrel, standing... I'd hit the rams (very quiet little 'ding') about 8 out of 10 times.... of course it wouldn't knock em down, but you could hear them ding. Go out there and look and there were a bunch of little flat disks of lead laying around in front of the steel rams...... the lack of recoil made it a lot easier to not flinch. I couldn't do that well with my .357 or .44 mags.
    These days, I'd probably have to lie down with a Ransom Rest to hit anything....

Hitting at 100 yds is easier than most people would think. Once you figure out the "hold", it's about 99% trigger squeeze.

I was mostly reacting to the apparently dismissive attitude he put out in his first replies in this thread.

As you can see in my other responses, my oldest son loves to take any opportunity he can to make long distance shots with a pistol. He discovered that a 9mm subcompact just doesn't have enough barrel to stabilize the bullet for a distance shot, but my Ruger SR9 compact does. And he loves taking 100+ yard shots with my 1911A1 with its GI style low profile non-adjustable sights.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I was mostly reacting to the apparently dismissive attitude he put out in his first replies in this thread.

As you can see in my other responses, my oldest son loves to take any opportunity he can to make long distance shots with a pistol. He discovered that a 9mm subcompact just doesn't have enough barrel to stabilize the bullet for a distance shot, but my Ruger SR9 compact does. And he loves taking 100+ yard shots with my 1911A1 with its GI style low profile non-adjustable sights.
    And its a pleasure to watch him shoot, and you smiling behind him.

Having watched green horns at the public ranges not able to keep a 30-30 on a pie plate, off a sandbag, at 100 yards, I would tend to think hitting your target at 100+ yards with a 1911 ACP off hand is not " easier than most people think".

But then not knowing what most people think, to even speculate is mental masturbation.

Last edited:

BigRed

Well-Known
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest

Meh.... At least I backed it up!

1674508624091.png

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas

I figured that might be the case, but it seems he wasn't being dismissive after all.... more like just bustin your chops.... :laughing: Glad it appears to have been worked out. I like that your son even wants to try it... I bet he's got it figured out...

It is pretty amazing what you can do with "close range" handguns out to 100 yds or so. I think it was Massad Ayoob that convinced a jury that someone was justified in shooting at longer ranges. Seems they thought the shooter was in "no danger" because the perp was using "just a snub 38", and everyone knows you can't hit the broad side of a barn at longer ranges with one...
    He shot targets with a snub at 100 yds, and hit the man sized silhouette nearly every time he pulled the trigger. The jury decided the shooter was justified in defending himself.

Like I said, once you figure out the hold over and windage, it's just a matter of repeating it. And, it's LOADS of fun.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Short, stiff barrels suffer less from harmonic instabilities.
    Velocity and energy suffers, but accuracy is better. Especially where fixed barrel revolvers are concerned.
    It's not magic. It's physics and ability.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I figured that might be the case, but it seems he wasn't being dismissive after all.... more like just bustin your chops.... :laughing: Glad it appears to have been worked out. I like that your son even wants to try it... I bet he's got it figured out...

It is pretty amazing what you can do with "close range" handguns out to 100 yds or so. I think it was Massad Ayoob that convinced a jury that someone was justified in shooting at longer ranges. Seems they thought the shooter was in "no danger" because the perp was using "just a snub 38", and everyone knows you can't hit the broad side of a barn at longer ranges with one...
    He shot targets with a snub at 100 yds, and hit the man sized silhouette nearly every time he pulled the trigger. The jury decided the shooter was justified in defending himself.

Like I said, once you figure out the hold over and windage, it's just a matter of repeating it. And, it's LOADS of fun.

Yeah, I'm not great with pistols past 30 yards or so, but with a rifle and iron sights I've shot out to 100 yards (hitting piano keys with a 10/22 and irons is satisfying) so I know how fun it is. And as mentioned before, my son is obsessed with long range target shooting with pistols. I haven't had much interest in going past 100 yards simply because in real world situations I've never even had 100 yards line of sight on something I needed to shoot!

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    The Austin area is really pretty..... I grew up in Lubbock, which is not. I always said if I ever moved anywhere, it would be to the Austin area.
    So, here we are in the DFW metroplex.... :confused:
    I have a high school friend that lives in Buda... retired international pilot.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The Austin area is really pretty..... I grew up in Lubbock, which is not. I always said if I ever moved anywhere, it would be to the Austin area.
    So, here we are in the DFW metroplex.... :confused:
    I have a high school friend that lives in Buda... retired international pilot.

I went to junior high and high school in Buda. OK, well, the high school was between Buda and Kyle. Grew up in Driftwood from 6th grade on.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Well, Lubbock is so flat and treeless, they say you can watch your dog run away for two weeks....

Anyway, the short range silhouette was fun, but I think it was limited to straight walled pistol cartridges, and was half the distance of the IHMSA range. Something like the .357 mag was very effective. I imagine the .32 H&R would have been, as well, but I don't think it arrived on the scene in time to take advantage of the heyday of that sport.

Top Bottom