Venture Surplus ad

10:33....... Is it to late to start this day over???????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    It wasn't the Kimber thankfully, but it was my SS Springer loaded... I understand scratches and rub marks are part of gun ownership, but it REALLY sucks when it could have been prevented with a little extra care...

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Did a search under "Fix a Idiot scratch" and this is one that came up...
    Jolly Rogers
    user_offline.gif

Old Timer
    User ID: 16221

Stainless is easy to fix. Get some red or grey scotchbrite pads. Field strip the gun and stroke the scratch with the abrasive pad. ONLY STROKE THE PAD LENGTHWISE ONE WAY. Do not rub back and forth as this will cause squiggles and won't blend the grain of the finish. This should blend the scratch so it dissapears. Stainless finish from the manufacturers isn't polished it is a fine brushed finish with small scratches in line.
    Be patient and you will be very happy with the repair area.
    Joe

What do you think? I definately don't want to make it worse...

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    A couple of pics from my iphone (sorry, don't know where the digital camera is right now)
    Fairly light scratch, but what do you think about the scotchbright idea?

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Skip,
    The scratch does suck... Big time. However, before you start jacking with it. Deep breath, exhale. Right now you have one that sticks out like a sore thumb to you, let a friend check it out and get his/her opinion. Possibly it would be a good idea to pass on the scotch bright solution till you reach a point where you have a few other blemishes to remove as well. It may work 100 percent and remove it, but is this the time to try it?

Just my opinion.

BTW had a pistol I stripped and duracoated, waited 2 weeks, used a gold kit to fill all the engravings/stampings, re did the sights and then assembled. Buddy came over picked it up off the bench, turned and it flew out of the garage onto the concrete. Not one side didn't end up with a scratch, ding or dent. 6 months later it is still sitting in the safe awaiting me to calm down enough to sand out the dings and scratches, strip and re-coat. So, I do understand your pain.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Honestly it doesn't look all that bad at all. I'd leave it alone. The chance of making it worse would be enough to make me tend to let it go. Besides, (I know you don't want to think about this) you may do it again!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The pistol is toast. I'll give $100 for any "Idiot Scratched" 1911's just to get them out of circulation.............. Snicker.

Come on.....it's just a little thing. Carry it for a while and there will be lots more scratches! Shoot it, enjoy it, forget the scratch! On a scale of 1-1000, one being unimportant, that scratch doesn't score a "1" in my book!

Flash

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    You guy's a right, now that it's a few days later I'm OK with it. (i have to be...). It just sucks to have one of your favorites messed up. I've waiting for a new Crossbreed holster to carry my Kimber, It will hold the 5" SA too, so I am going to carry it every now and then. Thanks for all the nice comments...

picasso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    Trophy Club
    The pistol is toast. I'll give $100 for any "Idiot Scratched" 1911's just to get them out of circulation.............. Snicker.

Come on.....it's just a little thing. Carry it for a while and there will be lots more scratches! Shoot it, enjoy it, forget the scratch! On a scale of 1-1000, one being unimportant, that scratch doesn't score a "1" in my book!

Flash

Agreed. Treat it as normal and then do all the touch ups when/if you sell it. Otherwise your just going to stay frustrated.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    To me, if a weapon has scratches on it that just makes it well loved. So there's a little blemish on it? Big deal! Does it affect the weapon's performance? No! If you're afraid to get a few scratches on your weapons from time to time then you're gonna be afraid to play with them as much as you'd like. :) Just cuz theres a scratch on it doesn't make you a bad gun owner or anything.

Top Bottom