• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks TexMex. I ain't skeered. I'm very mechanically inclined, and patient. Stoning a throw away hammer and sear doesn't bother me a bit. I suppose if I'm willing to replace everything anyway, why not give it a shot.

I have no idea on the headspacing. It's an aftermarket barrel. How in the heck do you measure headspace on a .22 anyway? I get it on centerfires, but this seems completely different.

I apologize if it's in the thread you linked. I'm headed there now.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Ruger BX trigger. I have updated with Kidd auto bolt-release (as that's a REALLY nice feature to have), as well as the Kidd extended mag release. Trigger group done.

I've added the cushioned buffer pin dealio from Kidd too.
    I just ordered the Volquartsen auto bolt release, recoil buffer and extended bolt handle. Of course that's to go along with the other upgrades I have been doing for over a month now. I don't even want to think how much I've been putting into it.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well Robert headspacing a 10/22 is mainly about reducing the shell pocket on the bolt itself. Basically if you remove it from the rifle, remove the extractor, plunger and spring, you can stone it against a square surface and slowly reduce that pocket size. I do it by hand although a milling machine would be much more professional.

A lot of folks out there think you can make a gun dangerous by doing this and potentially slam fire since a rimfire cartridge carries the priming compound in the rim itself. Tony Kidd proved that it's not possible by intentionally reducing one below spec. It never did run full auto or ignite since the bolt is slowed as it picks up a shell.

I still wouldn't reduce it below .042" but just know it can be safely done and enhances accuracy by reducing shell movement as the hammer drops. I get mine to .043 or .044 and polish the bolt face. Makes them easy to clean to boot.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Forgot to mention. Achieving a great trigger is all possible through the hammer itself in a 10/22 and I personally don't recommend any changes to the sear itself. You will be pleasantly surprised with the results from a well-worked hammer.

yotethumper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2018
    Houston
    Kidd makes an incredible trigger. I have also sent a stock 10/22 trigger to Brimstone Gunsmithing and for $50 they did some magic. Reset was great and the pull was excellent. Better than the cheapo dropins in that price range.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well 40Arpent the only rifle I can think of would be a near identical duplicate I sold to TXSUT years ago. Possible that has wound up in your hands. Green hogue stock ER Shaw stainless bull barrel. That rifle was built from an older model that still boasted the aluminum trigger housing.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Well, round 1 was me pulling the hammer out and stoning it. It helped a lot. It made it much lighter and got rid of most of the creep and grittiness. After fumbling around with the bolt release, tweaking that and a little more work on the trigger will be round 2. The factory bolt release is high up on my list of the most non intuitive firearm controls I've seen.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I stoned the trigger on a 10/22, vaquero has it now. IIRC, it helped quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Well 40Arpent the only rifle I can think of would be a near identical duplicate I sold to TXSUT years ago. Possible that has wound up in your hands. Green hogue stock ER Shaw stainless bull barrel. That rifle was built from an older model that still boasted the aluminum trigger housing.

TXSUT = 40Arpent. And you didn't sell it to me, I traded you a BHP for it. ;)

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I have finally decided on the trigger for my take down. I had the opportunity to try a Ruger BX, Kidd and Timney. I even installed and tried the original that came in the gun that had been worked over by a 10/22 aficionado gunsmith. The Timney will be the one. It is well built, breaks like glass and has a 2.5lb pull. I now have 500 rounds through the gun with this trigger group and it has run like the proverbial Timex watch. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I have heard and read way too much before trying them myself. I was lucky to have access to others for a hands on evaluation

Jpj86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Dfw
    Alright, I finally got a 10/22 and it needs a trigger upgrade. I mean it BADLY needs it. So, I don't want to turn it into a thousand dollar rifle, what's the best bang for the buck? A buddy at work out the Volquartsen match hammer kit in his. <$40 and it's pretty nice. Volquartsen hammer and seat kit? Kidd? The Ruger trigger pack upgrade?
    I’d look into the Bobby pin spring hack. It worked pretty well.

Top Bottom