• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Alright, I finally got a 10/22 and it needs a trigger upgrade. I mean it BADLY needs it. So, I don't want to turn it into a thousand dollar rifle, what's the best bang for the buck? A buddy at work out the Volquartsen match hammer kit in his. <$40 and it's pretty nice. Volquartsen hammer and seat kit? Kidd? The Ruger trigger pack upgrade?
    Texas SOT

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Ruger BX trigger, you can sometimes find it as low as $50. I will say that Volquartsen, Kidd or Geissele will be better, but you may pay 4 to 5 times the price. With the BX you will still get around a 3 1/2 pound trigger, just not metal like the others.

tinplas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    San Antonio
    You kind of answered your own question. I have a Kidd 2 stage for a project I'll eventually finish. That will most likely be most expensive firearm I'll ever own. I bought a BX trigger for my 30 year old 10/22 that will otherwise remain stock. I'm fairly lazy, but it will go on soon. If you can do the sub 40 job and accomplish your goal, that's a great solution. That's my mentality with my stock rifle. Good luck and enjoy

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    My original 10/22 trigger has the stock sear, power custom springs, titanium firing pin and extracter, and bolt buffer;it also has thousands of rounds through it. IT PULLS consistently at 2.5lbs on a Lyman scale and has never failed.

Sent from my iPhone with a general disregard for the masses

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on mine either (well, beyond the Mist-22 on the takedown). I merely polished the factory hammer and seer, and the trigger is pretty darned good just doing that. On one I did lightly file the hammer too, but VERY little was needed (it was too gritty from the factory for my taste).

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Ruger BX trigger, you can sometimes find it as low as $50. I will say that Volquartsen, Kidd or Geissele will be better, but you may pay 4 to 5 times the price. With the BX you will still get around a 3 1/2 pound trigger, just not metal like the others.

Agreed. This is your best bang for your buck.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Ruger BX trigger. I have updated with Kidd auto bolt-release (as that's a REALLY nice feature to have), as well as the Kidd extended mag release. Trigger group done.

I've added the cushioned buffer pin dealio from Kidd too.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Keep those ideas coming. I was planning on putting one of the auto bolt releases in. The cushioned buffer pin thingy is a new one to me though.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    'nother vote for the BX trigger. So much better, I don't know why it's not the standard trigger for 10/22s. Takes only moments to install and makes for a nice four pound trigger. $50 at grabagun.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I did the BX trigger for fathers day this year... best $60 bucks i've spent on that thing.
    I can't justify dropping $800 into a .22, $200 barrels, $200 triggers, $200 stocks $200 optic & the list goes on & on. For that kind of $$$ i'm drop it on a Magnum Research Magnum Lite .22mag

It's bad enough ive got $500 into mine.

If you need a cushioned buffer pin i came across this video a few months ago for a DIY.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Don't know about the BX trigger, but I upgraded my older 10/22 a few years ago with the Volquartsen hammer. Made a world of difference. Crisp and clean with a 2¼ lb. trigger pull. YMMV

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I put a rubber stick...err buffer in one of mine, definitely makes a nice difference. It is what it is, the bolt's rearward motion is being stopped by that pin after the recoil spring on the charging handle slows it down.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I did the BX trigger for fathers day this year... best $60 bucks i've spent on that thing.
    I can't justify dropping $800 into a .22, $200 barrels, $200 triggers, $200 stocks $200 optic & the list goes on & on. For that kind of $$$ i'm drop it on a Magnum Research Magnum Lite .22mag

It's bad enough ive got $500 into mine.

If you need a cushioned buffer pin i came across this video a few months ago for a DIY.

My BIL has a battered 10/22 that he bought from a friend for $20. The rifle had been left in a barn and used for rat-killing and such for a couple decades. It was in pretty sorry shape (deep pitting on the barrel, some rust on the bolt, etc.) but the bore was nice and clean. He had asked me to see what I could do for it. I might just use the nylon bolt cushion DIY trick for that rifle. I've already dropped in one of my old OEM Ruger trigger groups--much nicer than the old one on the gun. So now the rifle has a flapper mag-release and a better trigger. I used a dremel and completely cleaned up the barrel and got down to all the pitting corrosion. Afterwards, I used some primer and matte black paint that I had left over from redoing some steel wheels for one of my vehicles. The rifle looks a thousand times better.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    Grabagun.com 10/22 BX trigger, $49.99
    Ruger-10-22-BX-Trigger-Module-90462-736676904624.jpg.jpg

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have done more 10/22 mods on more rifles than you could shake a stick at. Speaking from experience, the bolt release mod, a buffer and stoning the hammer are the best and cheapest upgrades there are aside from a quality barrel.

The bolt release mod has numerous youtube diy videos out there and can be done with a dremel. A buffer will reduce the battering of the bolt against the stop pin which will also keep the trigger group pins from enlarging their respective holes. It also slightly reduces the bolt noise as the gun cycles. I prefer and have installed many tuffer buffers which are from canada and real cheap. Haven't had one break in over a decade of use.

After 2006 or 08' the rifles were all fitted with the plastic trigger group and different style of hammer. They actually require less effort to turn into crisp light triggers. The new factory upgraded trigger group is a drop in part even for the older gen guns so if you are not mechanically inclined, they are a great option.

As far as stoning the hammer, it's not for the faint of heart. Realistically it is just a 12-15$ part so, no big loss if you over do it. I hand stone, then polish them from the cam side all the way up the hammer face that rides the back of the bolt as it cycles. I prefer to work mine down to 3.5lbs or so for a field rifle and 2-1/4 lbs for a bench gun.

These are all great mods but properly headspacing the bolt will give you more accuracy on any set up or barrel. That requires reducing the headspace to .042" or so. It is the same measure as a bolt action 22. Many factory guns I have tuned were equipped with 5.5-6.5lb triggers and headspaced at .048 to .050".

Once upon a time a led the tgt rimfire competition with a rifle I tuned and assembled with an ER shaw bull barrel(18") and all the mods listed here.

Top Bottom