• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I have a Ruger 10/22 "take-down" carbine, bought new, used very lilttle, rifle is awfully inaccurate with factory irons or scope. Have tried many things, removing & re-installing scope, having armorer sight-in, gunsmith check, etc. Barrell attachment knob checked tight. Shooting from rest, ~ 70', iron sights, hit pop can only 1 out of 10 shots. My question is "Has anyone else had a similar problem?"
    leVieux

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yep. Mine isn't a takedown and the only Ruger part left is the receiver. The barrel is supposed to be some fancy thing and it won't shoot worth a damn no matter the ammo. I've run plated, non plated, match, several types of Eley etc. to no avail. It currently resides in the back of the safe.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    My 10/22 isn't very impressive either with accuracy. About minute of soda can at 40 yards. Also have done somethings, but it still has a factory barrel. It is reliable though amd will feed anything. Been tempted to just throw a binary trigger on it and let it run.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Mine aren't too bad, but they both seem to hate certain ammo. Golden Duds don't seem to be too accurate, while Federal and CCI are much more consistent.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My 1973 10/22 seems to do alright. All factory OEM except for the Hogue stock. This is only at 25 yards with 3 different brands of ammo, Mini mags, Remington Target SV, and Federal Lightning. Bushnell TRS 25 red dot.

IMG_9205.JPG

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    This is a common occurrence with the take down model.

Take it to the range, set it on bags or a shooting rest, and as carefully as possible, fire five rounds. Take it apart, put it back together and try again, does it shoot to point of aim. if not change the tension on the locking lug a little and do the same thing again. I literally did this about 10 times before it started staying set! I was amazed how much a single click of tension would change the POI.

I finally got it right, and at 50 yards, I can put all ten rounds within a 2" circle, every time, every day.

Just keep tinkering, that's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it, no matter how stupid it is!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    We should talk to @easy rider and @jrbfishn I bleieve they both have 1k+ 10/22 that shoot moa lol
    And you need 2 out of 3 guesses.
    I do not own a 10/22. In fact I never have.
    I used to sell the 10/22 takedowns. The first one I held I didn't like it. Too loose. Not even a fan of the standard model.
    My take down model are the Henry Survival Rifle and Savage 64. The Savage I will have at the meet up on the 10th.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    We should talk to @easy rider and @jrbfishn I bleieve they both have 1k+ 10/22 that shoot moa lol
    And you need 2 out of 3 guesses.
    I do not own a 10/22. In fact I never have.
    I used to sell the 10/22 takedowns. The first one I held I didn't like it. Too loose. Not even a fan of the standard model.
    My take down model are the Henry Survival Rifle and Savage 64. The Savage I will have at the meet up on the 10th.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Might be thinking of me. Try what @BigTexasOne was saying. Sometimes it comes down to just adjusting the torque until it gets it right. Oh, and pictures.
    00A800D6-3A36-4340-99D0-1AF7A6E46CC9.jpeg
    only thing left by Ruger is the receiver and magazine. Shoots like this on an average day @50 yards ( 5 shot groups)
    7762B557-D574-4689-9783-53D6996C9A42.jpeg

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Good chance the take downs will always suffer from poor accuracy. Why there was ever a desire for them is beyond me. As far as the factory rifles, they all run loose headspace on the factory bolts as well as 5.5-6lb triggers. A bunch of mine shoot like hojis but they took some effort. An aftermarket barrel by Kidd, ER Shaw, green mountain, etc will seriously shrink your groups.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Good chance the take downs will always suffer from poor accuracy. Why there was ever a desire for them is beyond me.
    Being able to take them in a backpack is useful, although now that I have a modded AR-15 takedown and have a CMMG 22LR conversion, it's kind of redundant.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have 3 take down .22s. A 1980s Marlin Papoose, A Henry AR7 and the Ruger.

while the Henry has only been function tested with about 50 rounds, the other two have been shot extensively.
    The Marlin wins in the take down accuracy department.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Good chance the take downs will always suffer from poor accuracy. Why there was ever a desire for them is beyond me. As far as the factory rifles, they all run loose headspace on the factory bolts as well as 5.5-6lb triggers. A bunch of mine shoot like hojis but they took some effort. An aftermarket barrel by Kidd, ER Shaw, green mountain, etc will seriously shrink your groups.
    I know you're kind of a 10/22 guru - the barrel and stock came from Tactical Solutions. Any advice/opinion on them? I pretty much figured it was the barrel, and at first, they dismissed me, then said send the whole rifle to them to check - which, since I bought it used, didn't feel right to me. I've just been shooting my .22 bolt guns.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    Just remember that with the takedown 10/22 the barrel is NOT free floating! Thus any change in pressure on the barrel while resting on the bench rest is likely to cause a varying deflection which will be magnified at greater distances.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I bought two at that time; a regular for my Grandson and the tekedown for me. Grandson's is just fine. As to the "looseness"; Yes, that was lesson # 1 for me. the knob-nut must be tightened securely. I'm old & arthritic, so I use protected-jaw pliers. Guess I'll look at the Savage.
    leVieux

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not good news for me. I have one I don't think I have ever shot. Stuck it in a backpack, and still need to sight in the cheap scope I put on it.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I bought two at that time; a regular for my Grandson and the tekedown for me. Grandson's is just fine. As to the "looseness"; Yes, that was lesson # 1 for me. the knob-nut must be tightened securely. I'm old & arthritic, so I use protected-jaw pliers. Guess I'll look at the Savage.
    leVieux

My Savage FVSR is very accurate right out of the box. I did install an Apachee trigger at right at one pound pull and a Walnut stock. Mags are kind of cheap though. The stainless ones seem better. Silenced it is just a hammer fall and pffft. CCi SV

mNg6aQu.jpg

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    The older 10/22's were very accurate. I had one back in the 80's and it ran like a boss and could hit dimes at 50 yrds. My brother has a newer one, maybe 10 yrs old, and it's not very accurate. Like a 2 inch spread at 50 yrds.

Top Bottom