• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    How common is it for the oil pump to have a problem? I have this sqeak/tap on my truck. The tensioner and the belts are all ok. Pulled all the belts off and still had the squeak. it seems to run with the RPM of the engine.
    Next question since the oil pump is under the timing chain cover, anybody can tell me how long the book says it should take to change it?
    Hurley's Gold

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I'm assuming the 5.3 V8? The early engines did have issues with oil pump failures, but you do see it every now and then on the '07 and even '08 trucks. I don't know book rate on it, but it's a fairly simple job: drop oil pan, remove water pump and front cover. Then remove (and replace) oil pump. I'd say any decent weekend mechanic could have it done in 2-3hrs.

It's hard to diagnose noises over the Internet, but you should also check anything that's connected to that serpentine belt - water pump, alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor, even the balancer. Remove the belt and spin everything by hand, or grab the pulley and see if it has any play. They should have zero play and spin nice and smooth (and tight). My bets are on the alternator.

Edit: Most of the oil pump issues I've seen on the 4.8 and 5.3 were sheared shafts or grinded gears. It would be a complete failure and zero oil pressure. I doubt it's your oil pump.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Shit, I just reread your post and noticed that you said it still squeaks with all the belts off.

The tap could be lifter tap. Try some Seafoam in the oil and vacuum line. Better yet, drain the oil, refill with ATF (yes, automatic transmission fluid), drive it for about 100mi, then do a full oil change. ATF has excellent detergents and will really clean up any blocked passages - like in a collapsed lifter.

Can you describe the squeak in more detail?

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    This is the sound, although it usually has more of a squeak to it. [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mceDi6hrXnM[/video] it is the 5.3 and the noise is coming off the bottom of the engine. The reason I wondered about the oil pump is that at idle the gauge seems to go down sometimes. i.e. when you start it it goes up to 40 or so then once it warms up it will go down to about 20 or so, then as you rev up it goes back to 40-50

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    This is the sound, although it usually has more of a squeak to it. [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mceDi6hrXnM[/video] it is the 5.3 and the noise is coming off the bottom of the engine.
    It made this same noise even with both belts removed? If so, I would say it's an exhaust leak.

The reason I wondered about the oil pump is that at idle the gauge seems to go down sometimes. i.e. when you start it it goes up to 40 or so then once it warms up it will go down to about 20 or so, then as you rev up it goes back to 40-50
    That is entirely normal. As you load/rev the engine, oil pressure goes up. Those numbers are exactly where they should be.

Last edited:

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Later 5.3 almost never have oil pump issues. It is however VERY common for the AFM lifter garbage to have problems. Oil consumption, noise, etc. What the OP describes is perfectly normal oil pump operation.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    After listening to the noise, it sounds more like lifter noise than anything else. I can't feature anything in the lower end making that sort of noise. Of course, the latest thing I've had that resembles that engine was a 1987 5.7 in a 3/4 ton.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Take a long extension and put it on the valve cover with your ear up to the other end. Should make it easier to hear if its the lifters. Ive also had needle bearings in the rocker arms crap out that gave that noise.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Is it a standard trans truck?

Reason I ask is that I've seen plenty of LSx Trans Ams, Camaros and Vettes bend push rods after missing the 3-4 shift and mechanically over reving the engine.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

As in its an automatic trans or as if its not possible?

If the latter, if at the top of 3rd gear, miss the 4th gear gate and go to 2nd instead and then let out the clutch, it'll mechanically over rev the motor.
    Unfortunately ... I've been there and done that.

It causes a lot of strange noises ...

Fortunately it's not an expensive fix for an LSx design ...

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    Is it a standard trans truck?

Reason I ask is that I've seen plenty of LSx Trans Ams, Camaros and Vettes bend push rods after missing the 3-4 shift and mechanically over reving the engine.

nope it is an automatic. Still Haven't had time to chase it down

Top Bottom