07 BMW 1200GS - wasn't looking, but ...

cycleguy2300

Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
I had a buddy interested in that but was too slow moving on it. Nice bike!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
The owners with failures are very vocal on the ole interwebs.
The other 100s of thousands without failures are rarely discussed.

Yep ... new parts from a local dealer are pricey for any motorcycle. There are places to shop to get a "deal". Of course ... the term "deal" is relative. LOL

I road raced GM cars for years and regeared many 10 bolt rear ends. Most folks forget about the GL4 additive needed and burn up the teflon coated bearings. I think many of the failures come from using the wrong diff lube.

Running the valves, changing alternator belt and other maintenance items are so very simple on air and oil heads. If one can listen to Youtube and have opposing thumbs, working on them is a piece of cake. The clutch, on the other hand, is a totally different story.

I really regret selling my GS911 diagnostics tool when I sold my last Bimmer a few years ago. I'm not going to go to a dealer to have my service interval reminder reset. What a racket that is ...

Last edited:

GoPappy

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Congrats on the R1200GS. It looks great.

I had an 1150GS that I loved and rode all over this country. It got me hooked on long distance touring. I decided I wanted more creature comforts for long distance touring, so I sold it and bought a Goldwing, which is fantastic for long hours on the road. Cruise control and XM radio coming through my helmet made the miles really roll away.

I still miss the R1150GS though.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
Mine has a Kaoco ... work great in the panhandle. Not so much in the hill country.
Still can give an old guy a little relief.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
For all the upgrades in suspension, updates and farkles and at only 15K miles, it was priced WAY too cheap.

I'm a cheap bastard and recognized the value. Plus I knew the owner and know how well he maintains his stuff.
If you go to sell it, let me know....considering changing out my MultiStrada for a sewing machine.

Top Bottom