• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Many on this forum have heard about and maybe first hand experience with CA gun laws over the years. In this video from Copper Jacket TV is a summary of almost all of them starting at 1:50 in. Its terrible what has happened to 2A rights in CA. Take a listen to be aware of any that might be proposed in TX. And tell your elected reps don't even think about it. One of mine was to tell LtGov Patrick to back off considering on a state law requiring a background check for private sale/gift of firearm to anyone. I haven't heard him suggesting anything like since then.

And Oregon may make themselves a clone of CA with Ballot Measure 114 as discussed on the Washington Gun Law channel. The worst part if it becomes law would require one to get written government permission to purchase a firearm. After demonstrating its use in live fire exercise.

Yes, all the above is contrary to recent SCOTUS decision in NYSRPA vs Bruen. But if already a law or becoming one it might take years to get reversed/cancelled etc. Better to kill bill before it becomes a bad law.

Not the last note but federal/state elections in 30 days. If you don't vote the other guy's vote will count much more.

BTW: do we have any first hand experience of someone who moved from CA and became a gun owner once in TX. In my case in the last century (1979) when I left CA and moved here it was 1982 before I bought my first pistol for ISPC matches.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yeah, I still lurk / participate on Northwest Firearms - which I spent as much time on when I lived there as I tend to on TGT here. Its gotten WAY BAD since we pulled the pin in just a little over two years.

When we left in 2020, the idiot lefties via ballot initiative and legislative action put into place mandatory safe storage laws with few exemptions, as well as killing pre-emption, adding force-of-law to no-guns signs (now its as bad / worse than Texas. Oregon was always an open-carry state, and a CHL let you carry damn near anywhere except federal property and courts (without the presiding judge's permission that is) so they didn't ahve the .06 / 07 / 05 equivalents. They banned school carry in K-12 schools too, from my understanding - which is bullshit.

We DID get UBC forced on us some years back, killing face to face private sales. That sucked ass, and FFL's by and large threw gun owners under the bus, because money. $25 was on the low end for FFL transfers. I knew of places that wanted $75 for 5 minutes of paperwork.

They managed to defeat the magazine capcity nonsense that Washington put in place, but that shit keeps coming around like a bad habit. A certain preacher who unfortunately shares my first name keeps pushing anti-gun bills. I've personally complained to the IRS, along with hundreds of others about him abusing his tax-exempt status to engage in political activity, but you know how the IRS is.

Now it looks like they're going to wind up with permits-to-purchase nonsense which will require training & range certification BY THE POLICE in order to even apply for a permit to purchase, which must be renewed every so often, which is seperate from a license to carry. There are no police agencies in that state that offer such courses. What that will do - if passed and allowed to go into law - is kill damn near every FFL except big-box stores, because it will take months and months to implement such programs and issue licenses. The backlog will be massive. Gun shops will be banned from selling guns to anyone, with the exeption maybe being active police officers or government agencies.

They are also pushing to restrict mags over 10 rounds - you can still own the ones you own now - but they're going to limit you from carrying them. You're only allowed to have them in your home, or use them at the range. AFAIK they will be illegal to carry.

Its frightening how quickly things are changing there. Friends tell me they *think* there is a chance of getting a Republican governor this time around. I hope they do, but don' think it will happen. Even if they did - they need to flip both houses of the legislature, and that's damn near impossible thanks to redistricting efforts at the state level + Oregon's 100% reliance on mail-in fraud, er, voting. There's a reason the dems pushed mail in voting and began phasing it in in the 1980's. By the mid 1990's in-person voting was dead. The closest you can come to that now is dropping off your ballot at an official ballot collection facility.

Washington State is fairing no better. Thru initiative process in 2020 they got hit with mandatory training in order to purchase a semi-auto rifle, and IIRC elimination of the instant-purchase on firearms for CHL holders. They had a waiting period for handguns for non-CHL holders, IIRC. And as of July of this year, they're stuck with 10-round mags.

Every left-coast CONUS state is a lost damn cause and we need to build a wall. Idaho and Nevada will be the western frontier - but even those states are on shakey ground thanks to the mass exodus of Coastal-staters fleeing their three sinking states. Idaho has fewer people in the whole damn state than the Houston metro area has. They're going to flip blue real fast compared to other states. They're already purple thanks to the Austin/Portland/San Fran like populace of Boise.

Yeah - I cannot foresee any reason to voluntarily step foot in the state of my birth again unless SCOTUS slaps all that rediculous shit down. I don't even want to go visit.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Now it looks like they're going to wind up with permits-to-purchase nonsense which will require training & range certification BY THE POLICE in order to even apply for a permit to purchase, which must be renewed every so often, which is seperate from a license to carry. There are no police agencies in that state that offer such courses. What that will do - if passed and allowed to go into law - is kill damn near every FFL except big-box stores, because it will take months and months to implement such programs and issue licenses. The backlog will be massive. Gun shops will be banned from selling guns to anyone, with the exeption maybe being active police officers or government agencies.
    In the Washington Gun Review video the lawyer explains how Oregon doesn't have budget money to pay to do the license and range live fire. And estimates are $40-$50 million tax dollars for the new law.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    In the Washington Gun Review video the lawyer explains how Oregon doesn't have budget money to pay to do the license and range live fire. And estimates are $40-$50 million tax dollars for the new law.

Yeah, that won't stop them from trying to make the law go into effect though. I think the jackasses who wrote the law *knew* what they were doing with unfunded mandates. They know it would cause hell. HOPEFULLY the courts throw that law out on its ear because of it - but I know the Oregon Supreme Court will uphold it. They upheld the unconstitutional edicts of Kate Brown extending her own "emergency" powers. State Constitution says her executive orders can only last so long - after that the legislature is supposed to take up the issue and either extend them, or end them as a matter of law. She's close personal friends with the chief justice of the court - and every judge on that state supreme court leans left.

That means the only chance of tossing the laws rests at the Federal level. I don't think Oregon has a justice like Roger Benitez they could hope to get the case in front of.

Top Bottom