• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    My 15 year old son wants a .22 semi rifle for Christmas. On our last trip to Cabelas he showed me a few of the GSG .22 semi rifles on the used gun rack. These are the ones imported by American Tactical and are German WWII clones.

American Tactical Imports

Questions: How reliable are these rifles? What issues if any have you found? Are magazines expensive or difficult to find? Im thinking for the money, a S&W MP 15-22 would be a better choice.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757786_-1_757784_757784_image

What do you think? My son just wants it for plinking and target practice.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Thanks for the replies.... the 10-22 is a great choice. I'll show him some pics on the net..see what he thinks...
    I know he wants something that looks cool. He is not thinking about long term use or durability. That's what I'm trying to figure out... tacti-cool with durability...

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Love my 15-22!

Keep an eye on palmetto state....they've had the 15-12 and the H&K 22 ar for dirt cheap recently! I would have bough the H&K if it had been on deal first...

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    you might want to take a look at Savage .17HMR rifles - I bought one for my Wife (the 93R17, BRJ) and some some 10 round clips, a bipod and a Weaver Buck Cmdr 4-16x42 scope

it's really a lot of fun to shoot - especially at 100 yds+

I personally like .17HMR ammo vs .22lr - check out the Savages and some of their "cool lookin" stocks (ya can't go wrong with a 10-22)

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    you might want to take a look at Savage .17HMR rifles - I bought one for my Wife (the 93R17, BRJ) and some some 10 round clips, a bipod and a Weaver Buck Cmdr 4-16x42 scope

it's really a lot of fun to shoot - especially at 100 yds+

I personally like .17HMR ammo vs .22lr - check out the Savages and some of their "cool lookin" stocks (ya can't go wrong with a 10-22)

Thanks... hadn't considered a .17 hmr.... sounds like your wife has a great varmint rig.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    When I was 15 y/o, my pappy told me I had to mow the yard all year long and he would give me a gun.

Somehow, he forgot about that, as did I. (At that age, getting a driver's license was far more important -- which did not happen until I was 17).

About 7 years later, he gave me his 1952 Colt Commander Light Weight when I signed up for Army service.

It is a great gun, but I still can't shoot it worth a damn.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    When I was 15 y/o, my pappy told me I had to mow the yard all year long and he would give me a gun.

Somehow, he forgot about that, as did I. (At that age, getting a driver's license was far more important -- which did not happen until I was 17).

About 7 years later, he gave me his 1952 Colt Commander Light Weight when I signed up for Army service.

It is a great gun, but I still can't shoot it worth a damn.

My son does mow the yard, but he has to be reminded a few times, just like taking out the trash. Other than that, he is a great kid. Thanks for sharing your story.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The biggest advantage to starting with a 10-22 is that you start with a good, solid, reliable and fairly accurate rifle.

Then, there are truckloads of accessories for the 10-22 and later, you guys could work together on modifying the 10-22 to any configuration you want.

The rifle that you inquired about may be cool, but I promise you that accessories are limited in comparison to the 10-22.

I had so much fun designing and building my 10-22's that finally, I had to stop doing it. There was no more room for them!

Flash

Top Bottom