Lynx Defense

Woman with concealed carry license shoots, kills would-be robber at Chicago bus stop

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Awesome story!

How easy/difficult is it to get a license in Chicago?
    I have an IL Non-resident CCL, and I have carried concealed in Chicago, legally.

Only four states are considered "substantially similar" to IL laws to allow their residents to apply for a non-resident IL CCL. Texas is one of them, but I think I'm only one of about a dozen Texans who have gone to the trouble (my daughter lived in IL at the time).

As someone mentioned above, the required class is 16 hours, which is usually taught over a two day period. If you are a Veteran and/or a few other situations, you can have 8 hours of training waived. There is also a range test, but it is simpler than Texas. The good news is you don't have to go to IL to take a class, there are several authorized instructors right here in Texas. The bad news is the fee is $350 (ouch!) for five years. The weird part is if you want to submit fingerprints, you have to go the vendor in IL (even tho it is the same vendor DPS uses, go figure), however submission of fingerprints is not required, it just delays your issuance up to 30 days longer.

You can find more information on the Illinois State Police (ISP) website, as well as a list of authorized instructors.

And one other gotcha that New Mexico got bit by - when IL reviewed NM laws several years ago, they revoked NM's status and revoked all the NM licenses that had been issued with no refund, of course.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I have an IL Non-resident CCL, and I have carried concealed in Chicago, legally.

Only four states are considered "substantially similar" to IL laws to allow their residents to apply for a non-resident IL CCL. Texas is one of them, but I think I'm only one of about a dozen Texans who have gone to the trouble (my daughter lived in IL at the time).

As someone mentioned above, the required class is 16 hours, which is usually taught over a two day period. If you are a Veteran and/or a few other situations, you can have 8 hours of training waived. There is also a range test, but it is simpler than Texas. The good news is you don't have to go to IL to take a class, there are several authorized instructors right here in Texas. The bad news is the fee is $350 (ouch!) for five years. The weird part is if you want to submit fingerprints, you have to go the vendor in IL (even tho it is the same vendor DPS uses, go figure), however submission of fingerprints is not required, it just delays your issuance up to 30 days longer.

You can find more information on the Illinois State Police (ISP) website, as well as a list of authorized instructors.

And one other gotcha that New Mexico got bit by - when IL reviewed NM laws several years ago, they revoked NM's status and revoked all the NM licenses that had been issued with no refund, of course.
    Wow! Quite informative. I had always "assumed" that a Texan was just SOL in IL.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

I am frigging tempted to do it.

Top Bottom