Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    4227 is way fast for 308
    I agree.

However, there are some wonderful, useful loads for the .308 that use 4227. They are for more advanced reloaders who understand putting together special-purpose ammo. I would never recommend 4227 to a new reloader with a .308.

I expect a learning curve though, but I want to get there eventually.
    When you've climbed far enough up that curve, you'll understand how to do stuff that other people tell you is flat wrong. For now, leave the 4227 in another room when you're reloading the .308.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I agree.

However, there are some wonderful, useful loads for the .308 that use 4227. They are for more advanced reloaders who understand putting together special-purpose ammo. I would never recommend 4227 to a new reloader with a .308.

It's more of a sub or cast type load. Way to dangerous in the charge range originally listed.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I agree.

When you've climbed far enough up that curve, you'll understand how to do stuff that other people tell you is flat wrong. For now, leave the 4227 in another room when you're reloading the .308.

Yeah, but that is a ways off. Like I said, I put the wrong powder in the post. I loaded the 308 with 4320.

bgw45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    D/FW
    I know you did not ask, but I would recommend H4895 for your .308 . I'm old school so YMMV. It really worked great in two of mine. If you keep at it your groups will get much smaller.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... I would recommend H4895 for your .308.
    You can recommend H4895 for just about every "normal" rifle cartridge. :)

Seriously, it's one of the 2 or 3 powders I would never be without. It's often not ideal but it's workable in such a broad range of cartridges that it boggles the mind. I often wonder if that's because it's good stuff or mainly because it was Bruce Hodgdon's first powder, thus giving it a commanding lead in the post-WWII popularity race.

Whatever the reason, it's the powder I most consistently go to first for plain ol' rifle cartridges and I often finish right where I start. I did a quick count and I have over 40 pounds of the stuff...so I guess I must really like it. :)

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You can recommend H4895 for just about every "normal" rifle cartridge. :)

Seriously, it's one of the 2 or 3 powders I would never be without. It's often not ideal but it's workable in such a broad range of cartridges that it boggles the mind. I often wonder if that's because it's good stuff or mainly because it was Bruce Hodgdon's first powder, thus giving it a commanding lead in the post-WWII popularity race.

Whatever the reason, it's the powder I most consistently go to first for plain ol' rifle cartridges and I often finish right where I start. I did a quick count and I have over 40 pounds of the stuff...so I guess I must really like it. :)
    I agree but I don't have that much of it. It was the first powder I bought when I started reloading just for that reason. It is very handy.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Put Varget on the list for awesome 308 powder as well.

Already there, I just couldn't find it.

Here's my 300 BLK in rough order of preference (not sure if 110 or 1680 should be at the top):

H-110
    A-1680
    IMR-4227
    W-296
    Lil'Gun

And 308 shopping list in rough order of preference:

H-4895
    Varget
    IMR-4320
    H-335
    Benchmark
    leaving off a laundry list of other stuff

Top few for 30-30
    IMR-4895
    IMR-4198
    IMR-4320
    IMR-4064
    IMR-3031
    H-335
    RX-7
    W-760
    W-748
    AA-2520
    RX-15
    IMR-4350

So I was able to find what seemed to be third on each list. But I'm a noob so all this is from reading up on it.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It is scary starting out... but I go nuts with case prep getting that perfect. I've found that generally the most accurate rounds aren't the hottest in my loads. So, for example my "hot" hunting load of 300blk is 17.0 grains. The max load (this is NOT 308, just an example) is 17.6. I've run 17.2 with no pressure signs at all.

So, even if something goes stupid throwing the powder I've still got some wiggle room. Start low and work up, when you get to a good load that is accurate and runs well then look at all the math, and see if you can go up again. Go up very, very slow. Chances are, you'll find a load that works great and is totally safe as far as pressure goes.

Whatever you do, don't start trying to use max loads and fiddle with COL and things right away. Very, very slowly move up.

Top Bottom