Guns International

Why is a slug gun with a rifled barrel considered a shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I'm trying to figure out why a slug gun with a rifled barrel is still considered a shotgun, according to Federal law. USC says a shotgun MUST have a smooth bore, and by definition the bore in a rifled slug gun is not smooth. Someone told me that the rifling in the "shotgun" is significantly different and is not considered rifling, but I can find no corroborating information to this.

The reason is not "because the slug gun also fires shot shells". Shotshells are produced in many rifle calibers. And, as stated, USC states a shotgun must have a smooth bore.

So, I think the reason is "because the man says so". Which is unsatisfying and wrong.
    Target Sports

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    "Because the man says so" is the answer to pretty much all firearm and NFA rules.

Most of them don't make any sense and are just made up reasons.

The rules are arbitrary but they are written down so we can [try to] understand them. This case just makes no sense though. The "rule" is not written down anywhere. According to USC a slug gun is a rifle and the 18 inch barrel limit doesn't apply.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'm trying to figure out why a slug gun with a rifled barrel is still considered a shotgun, according to Federal law. USC says a shotgun MUST have a smooth bore, and by definition the bore in a rifled slug gun is not smooth. Someone told me that the rifling in the "shotgun" is significantly different and is not considered rifling, but I can find no corroborating information to this.

The reason is not "because the slug gun also fires shot shells". Shotshells are produced in many rifle calibers. And, as stated, USC states a shotgun must have a smooth bore.

So, I think the reason is "because the man says so". Which is unsatisfying and wrong.

Well technically it would be a Destructive Device, since the bore is over .500 (assuming the usual gauges - 12/16/20/28).

I have never understood it either, I just assumed the bore is not really rifled.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Well technically it would be a Destructive Device, since the bore is over .500 (assuming the usual gauges - 12/16/20/28).

I have never understood it either, I just assumed the bore is not really rifled.

All 12 ga shotguns are destructive devices, except most have "sporting purposes". I don't see why a 16 inch slug gun wouldn't have sporting purposes.

They are actually rifled. I looked at photos.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Rifled bore firearms cannot get a sporting use exemption (Otherwise folks would be doing it). They are DDs. Only shotguns can get a sporting use exemption.

Rifles can as well, and they do. That's how people can own .600 nitro rifles and the like without a stamp.

18 U.S.C. § 921 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 18. Crimes and Criminal Procedure § 921. Definitions

(4)  The term “destructive device” means--

(A)  any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas--

(i)  bomb,

(ii)  grenade,

(iii)  rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,

(iv)  missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,

(v)  mine, or

(vi)  device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;

(B)  any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter;  and

(C)  any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon;  any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device;  surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2) , 4685 , or 4686 of title 10 ;  or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hmmm, I can think of a lot of firearms considered DDs that I would only use for recreational purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Here's a photo of a "shotgun" with a rifled barrel:

slugrflrx.jpg

Attachments

• slugrflrx.jpg
      slugrflrx.jpg
      26.2 KB · Views: 1,120
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I was referring to firearms where the AG makes a determination to give a sporting use exemption, not firearms that are statutorally defined as sporting

"Sporting" isn't statutorily defined, the AG makes the determination. That's what that last sentence says.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yes, and then he writes a letter allowing firearm to be made/sold/imported. Been there, done that.

Right, so we're in agreement there.

BTW I found the answer to my OP. The definition of "shotgun" in CFR is different from USC.

USC:
    The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

CFR:
    Shotgun. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    What's the minimum barrel length allowable on a shoulder fired shotgun? And what is the minimum overall length?

From what I can find regarding my above question, minimum overall length for a shoulder fired "shotgun" is 26" and minimum barrel length is 18".

Last edited:
    Top Bottom