• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Current models have addressed some, if not most of the initial learning curve. MB still has some packing challenges that result in cosmetic damage during shipment. The first gen rule of thumb was only buy one that was already assembled so you could examine it for damage.

I’ve replaced a door switch and the doghouse twice. As mentioned, the doghouse is pretty much sacrificial…it funnels smoke from the hot side under the meat on the cold side and collects drippings. Then, you run it up to 650 or 700 to sear a steak and a nice little grease burn off is expected. The doghouse is stamped .030 or thinner mild steel, so it’s gonna die eventually.

The one meat probe is only rated to 350*, so most serious chuck ‘em anyways and use a fireboard or similar. There’s a hamdful of people that 3D print a drop in mount to replace the MB temp controller with a fireboard. The rotary knob on my OEM controller is slowly dying, but temp control from the MB app on my phone solves that problem.

It holds temp from 205 to 700 all day long and is pretty efficient with a load of charcoal. Overall, it’s the best outdoor cooking instrument that’s not a dutch oven that I’ve owned; it’s a jack of all trades and damn good at most of them. .
    Man... my weekend got crazy in a hurry. The ending of that post pretty much sums up how I feel too.
    Well, Crud. I was 1/2-ass paying attention to this thread. Now I'm gonna have to go back and actually read it. So - Brisket - smoke ring and bark or not?
    Yes, and yes.

Any purist will tell you; you can't push smoke; you can only pull. Which is fine and I understand. But I'm not babysitting a stick burner for 8-14hours on my weekends

The MB performs.
    Hurley's Gold

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn.
    How much that box cost?

I got dollar signs flying around my head.
    I work with a guy who's in laws spent 2 years cutting, selling and delivering mesquite off their property. At the end of the 2 years they had enough cash for an all-exclusive trip to Hawaii.

The wife and I have been talking about if there is any value in prickly pears. Seems there could be something there.

Now, if we can find time;)

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There’s two companies that specialize in mods for the MB Gravity series smokers, Klotes and LSS. I’ve got stuff from both and recommend Klotes’ products over LSS.

The charcoal grate may be worth it unless MB has redesigned their grate; the grate spacing on my MB560 was such that good charcoal was dropping into the ash bin with a lot of burn left on it. If they’ve mod’d the grate, no worries. Yes they fixed this issue.

The firebox mod and the chute liner are must-do’s in my opinion. I also highly recommend a manifold cover. The manifold is affectionately referred to as the doghouse, but it’s thin sheet and designed as a consumable part. Runs about $40 for my grill and got replaced a couple times. This last time I chucked a manifold cover on it to help extend the life. Roger that. I'll look into both

I’ll smoke ribeyes at 225 until they hit 125 internal, then pull them and run the temp up to 650 to sear. No other product on the market gives that flexibility. Yes sir! It's a killer reverse sear grill.

Also, when you first light it, leave the top lid open and make sure the plunger switch is depressed for about a minute. This allows all the cold smoke to exit the chimney instead of building up as creosote on the chute. An easy and cheap lid protector is to throw a cut to size piece of heavy duty foil in between the lid and the chimney top. This too helps with creosote collection on the lid. Good tip. I'll start doing that.

Finally, some people like the rear vent slide; this allows you to control how fast smoke escapes thru the rear vent. I haven’t done it yet, but likely will next year. Yeah I'm still learning this thing. Likely get there myself too.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well, Crud. I was 1/2-ass paying attention to this thread. Now I'm gonna have to go back and actually read it. So - Brisket - smoke ring and bark or not?

Yessir. Effectively, the MB gravity series work just like offset smokers except when it comes to chucking sticks.

The base of the vertical hopper is the firebox; temp is controlled by a fan stoking the firebox. As sticks and charcoal burn, their ash settles thru a grate at the bottom of the firebox and into an ash bin. The ash bin is easily removable when it’s time to empty. Firestarting is done with two tumbleweeds inserted in a catch that’s part of the ash grate/firebox.

The hopper can handle probably 12lbs of charcoal and can be refilled mid-burn. When your done with the cook, you close of the firebox with a slide, much like a webber kettle. This snuffs the fire and saves unburnt charcoal and sticks.

I’ve loaded the hopper with sticks and charcoal at 9:45p and the smoker is up to 225 by 10p, set the brisket then and gone to bed. Wake up in the morning, pour up a Michelada, then topped of the bin. When meat probe says the brisket is done, it’s done.

I kind of feel like the MB is the epitome of either cheating or ease. If you enjoy chucking sticks and twisting vents, this ain’t your tool.

Here’s another take, much more detailed.

Sample of what any idiot can do with these things.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    @toddnjoyce not sure if you have experienced this or not... but that grill cooks the best yard bird I've ever had and I've had a lot of chicken! The way it heats chicken is phenomenal.

I marinaded a turkey breast for 4hrs yesterday in a Baja citrus mix. 300degs on second rack to internal of 130. Then turned grill to 500 and seared on the grates. It was so darn good. Make a rabbit hug a hound.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    @toddnjoyce not sure if you have experienced this or not... but that grill cooks the best yard bird I've ever had and I've had a lot of chicken! The way it heats chicken is phenomenal.

I do a couple of butterflied whole chickens at a time and agree they reliable turn out very good. Do you have the rotisserie kit?

The MB800 with pizza oven and rotisserie seems a smart combo. I’m not sold on the griddle insert yet, I think a natural gas Blackstone would be a great compliment to the MB.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do a couple of butterflied whole chickens at a time and agree they reliable turn out very good. Do you have the rotisserie kit?

The MB800 with pizza oven and rotisserie seems a smart combo. I’m not sold on the griddle insert yet, I think a natural gas Blackstone would be a great compliment to the MB.
    I don't have the rotisserie. Might be wise since we eat a lot of chicken.

A stand-alone griddle is the only way to fly imho. My wife bought me a griddle that goes on top our kitchen stove. It does what I need it to.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I have the 800 from costco with the griddle

I have never used the griddle.

I love the smoke flavor produced using the masterbuilt gravity smoker.

I use B&B charcoal and wood chips from HEB. Fill hopper about 1/4 toss in a handfull of wood chips and repeat till full. Toss a handfull of chips in the ash box before I start the fire.

I use the firestarter block and a propane torch to fire it up and its up to temp quick.

I know about all the mods and they are not needed in my book. But I would bypass the 3 door and lid safety switches with toggle switches or just connect the wires to bypass them. If you sear alot and I do they will kill the switches and you have a dead grill till you replace or bypass them.

Love my burgers smoke um for 30ish minutes at 250. Remove from grill and run temp to 600. Wait a good 10-15 minutes so

1 all the old grease burns off
    2 the grill gets good and hot.

sear them babies for 5-8 min flip for 3-4 minutes remove from grill and wrap in foil I toss them in the microwave just to hold the heat dont turn it on remove when ready to serve.

mine sits outside uncovered all the time. It is used 1-2 times a week.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …I would bypass the 3 door and lid safety switches with toggle switches or just connect the wires to bypass them. If you sear alot and I do they will kill the switches and you have a dead grill till you replace or bypass them….
    I sear at 650 pretty often and have only killed the lid safety switch once. It didn’t kill the grill though; on the 560, if the the lid safety switch is dead, the controller limits the temp to 500*.

If it fails again, I will just short that circuit.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I sear at 650 pretty often and have only killed the lid safety switch once. It didn’t kill the grill though; on the 560, if the the lid safety switch is dead, the controller limits the temp to 500*.

If it fails again, I will just short that circuit.

I had a massive grease fire that took it over 700 deg it errored out the display :) I don't think I bypassed the ash tray door yet. But my hopper switch and also the grill lid switch both bit the dust. Its not to hard to get to the wires to jump them but if I was putting a new one together I would not use any of the factory switches. I would probably just bypass them. I might add toggles but I am to lazy and I think I know better than to singe off my eyebrows opening the grill lid when its 700 degrees lol.

I also did not bother to lube the switches or do much in the way of care on them and the grill lives in the yard no cover no roof so it gets beat.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pizza oven walk through.

IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg