• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I've decided on .45 ACP for my first caliber to reload and am putting my final list of equipment together to place my order.

I'm still between a few different presses. I'm looking at either a single stage or turret from Lee or Lyman.

If I go with a Lee turret and want to powder charge on press, going with the Lee die set might make the most sense. But I'm not sure which is why I ask.

Which dies would you recommend looking at for .45 ACP? I'm trying to keep costs down where I can so I'm looking more at Lee, RCBS and the like as opposed to Redding competition dies and the like.

As an aside, is the Lee Factory Crimp die really necessary or does it just make loading easier?

Thanks in advance!
    Lynx Defense

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Any of them will work get the four 3 dye set with separate crimp and seating and you don't use the Lee Factory crimp die for a straight wall pistol cartridge

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've got Hornady dies that work fine. If be really careful on a crimp die. Make sure and measure the OD of the case mouth when you're setting things up.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The Lee "factory crimp dies" are pretty easily adjusted, I use them for 9mm and .45ACP myself. Just put a micrometer on them while you're setting up and make sure you're in spec, and it's all good.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The Lee dies are just fine - it's what I use. Technically, it's a taper crimp die, which is different from a roll crimp that people typically think of on a factory crimp die.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Thanks folks. Sounds like Lee dies are the way to go. Now to figure out the press.

Out of curiosity, do the Lee lock rings on the dies stay put when you unscrew them?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Mine do, but you have to unscrew then a certain way.

When you have then set and go to remove them, loosen it by turning the larger nut. This should turn the whole assembly. Once it’s loose you can turn it from anywhere.

Putting it back in, make sure you start turning it by the lock ring once the O ring makes contact. If you don’t the lock ring will stop and the die body will screw further in.

I have had no issue with my 6.5 Creed dies changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chips n Salsa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Plano
    I highly recommend ordering one of these dies, too, It's a custom Lee undersized de-capping die. I have run this die in .45 for years. Not usually needed for just the standard poly 45's (Glock, XD,etc), but I have a 1911 and a Kahr 45 that require I use this die. This also works well for beat-up range brass. I have always ordered through this 'EGW' but I think Midway USA carries these nowdays too-

http://www.egwguns.com/smithing-tooling/undersize-reloading-die-.45-acp/

I spend time on another reloading forum. I have not ordered these (yet) but guys give these replacement decapping pins very high marks. Cheap insurance I think-

https://www.amazon.com/Hardened-Ste...&sprefix=Lee+die+de,aps,188&sr=8-2&ref=sr_1_2

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Thanks for the tip on the decappers.

I only have an M&P in .45 ACP so I doubt I'll need the U-die for now but I'll file that away for later.

Could you please share what reloading forum you're on?

Thanks!

Chips n Salsa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Plano
    Hey, I trust pistol-forum.com and Brian Enos. I think there is mention of these Squirrel Daddy Lee de-capping pins on both. I agree you shouldn't need that undersize decapping die for the chamber on an M&P. But once I stumbled on these undersize dies, they saved me on some guns, especially when you get into those aftermarket barrels like a KKM with really tight chambers. Just keep this die in mind if you start to struggle with crappy range brass. It will save you a lot of headache.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I lurk on Brian Enos, good information there.

Seems like the undersize dies serve the same function as the push through resizing dies?

Top Bottom