• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goliath

Forum Sponsor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2016
    El Paso, TX
    I like to go out to red sands myself and shoot I take Montana down past red sands there is a road that looks to be a mining entrance I take that road in and go down a ways till I find a nice spot.
    Hurley's Gold

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Goliath, I have heard about that place in chit chat. There are some fellow shooters that go out there near the "mine entrance" but I have no idea how to get to it as I have gone out looking for it myself. Can you draw a map to it? I would love to pick at the left over brass out there.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    was born in el paso in the 50s and moved out in 2001. is the gun range still there that was between anthony and canutillo against the mountains? how about the 3 at hueco tanks? RG still own one of em?

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    sergeant69,

I think you're talking about the El Paso Gun Club's range. If so, yes, it's still out there:

9498 Pipeline Rd
    El Paso, TX
    (915) 203-4783

http://elpgc.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/El-Paso-Gun-Club/114662888599906

...about 1 mile due East of the Love's Truck Stop at I-10 & Antonio St.

That was where my TX LTC Course instructor held the shooting qualification portion of the class (first time I've ever been there).

As for the other one you mention @ Hueco Tanks, it may be this one:

https://www.shooting.org/Ranges/Texas/El_Paso/Tactical_Ranch

...but I've never been there. As I said, I just go to Red Sands -- don't like shooting ranges and their rules/regulations much, prefer "informal & relaxed" desert (or National Forest as up in Colorado) shooting sessions instead.

-- BR

Last edited:

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    when i left EP there 3 ranges at hueco tanks. one alcohol free, one ok to drink in clubhouse after range closed, and one owned by RG Martinez where you could drink anywhere. they were located past park entrance to the tanks clear up against base of mountains.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    i was with EPSO in the 70s and and in the 70s and 80s went to the ANTHONY (?) Gun Club (guess its now the EL PASO GUN CLUB) all the time. lived off kiely rd by Westway about 20 minutes away. took so long to get there because it was all dirt road getting there.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "...took so long to get there because it was all dirt road getting there." -- sergeant69

It still IS a dirt/sand/gravel road to get there: See attached Google Earth aerial view.

El Paso Gun Club Range -- Google Earth Aerial View 5-27-16.jpg

If you want the original 4.74MB screen-shot of this, PM me with your e-mail address and Ill send you the file as this 2.16KB file/pic is so small you can't see much.

--BR

Last edited:

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    how about the Ysleta Gun Club? it still there? is bobby billingsly still running it? also....is jack polk still vying with leon metz on the radio over whos the better el paso historian? i want some Chicos Tacos!!

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    sergeant69,

Don't know anything about the Ysleta Gun Club, but if you mean Bobby Bilingslea -- also of the long-running (and long since defunct) Carter's Flowers & Gifts (on Montana near Cotton) who was into shotgun/skeet stuff, was THE FFL guy many of us used for gun transfers and reloading questions/advice/tips -- due to health problems (and the passing of his wife years ago) he stopped doing most of everything (including AFT-4473 transfers) a LONG time ago.

The last time I saw him was when I went by his house to visit (2008/2009?).

I'm not sure he's still around (sad) or if so, if he's still living in ELP.

Can't tell you anything about the other two people you name...

-- BR

Last edited:

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    thats him! grew up with some of his outlaw kin. back in the day he was THE mover and shaker of the ysleta gun club.
    Leon Metz is an el paso historian and author. has several books out about el paso in the old west days. was always on tv and radio whenever they needed an expert on concordia cemetery, old buildings, gunfighters etc.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yes, I knew of Metz (as you note, a Big Name here in El Paso), but meant to say did not know him personally, or ever meet him.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/138055.Leon_Claire_Metz

IIRC, I even have his book on El Paso (in a storage room).

Also yes, I know John Wesley Hardin is in Concordia Cemetery (I think he still is). ;-)

His killer (John Selman) is also there.

Same for artist Peter Hurd (Roswell and San Patricio, NM) -- knew of him/never met him -- but at least I drive by his "La Rinconada" gallery when crusing through the scenic Hondo Valley (Roswell-Ruidoso on Hwy 70). ;-)

-- BR

Last edited:

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    google says Metz as of 2010 still had his sat morning show on AM690, Steve Crosnos old station.

btw......all my wifes family live in colorado springs. my nephew is danny farris, professional bowhunter from there thats on tv a lot hosting hunts with celebrities. when were u living in colorado springs?

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    @ Talon Hill Apartments on Voyager (between Interquest & Northgate). Could see the Air Force Academy in the Front Range foothills across from my balcony.

Spent lots of time on Powers Blvd. (just about everything you could want/need re: stores/restaurant/banks/medical care was there) and have some friends who have a home in Flying Horse (newer residential subdivision in NE COS).

Need to go back up in June to get the rest of my stuff (!) and close-out the storage room I still have there (Chapel Hills)!

-- BR

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom